What has apple stolen from android and what will they steal next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
so far, apple has taken

-pull-down notifications
-video recording (first 3 iphone DID NOT have it)
-panoramic camera
-front facing camera
-video calling (and they got that wrong - it required wi-fi)
-taking pictures while shooting video
-multi-tasking (even though they still did it wrong)
-wireless syncing
-tabbed browsing
-quick launching of apps from lock screen
-quick reply
-facebook integration
-browser sync
-turn-by-turn navigation
-larger-than-3.5" screen size

I know I'm missing some things, but what I want to know is why didn't samsung and google get together and sue the pants off of apple?

What do you think they'll steal next?

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Ingress.

That's when the game will change. Instead of Enlightened versus Resistance.....it will be Android versus Apple.

Might be kind of a cool concept....no? :D

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
so far, apple has taken
-pull-down notification
Similar concept, different execution. Copied? No.

You're trying to claim android invented cellphone video capture. Seriously?

-panoramic camera

Available on the app store long before it was even a feature on skinned android devices.

-front facing camera

The iPhone debuted with this feature shortly after the Evo 4G did. You don't know how product development works if you think apple copied the evo.

Android didn't have this feature until after the iPhone.

Again, not unique to android.

Uhm. Three words. Windows mobile. Symbian.

-wireless syncing

Existed before android, and android still doesn't have it.

-tabbed browsing

The iPhone has had this since the beginning.

? Apple doesn't have this. They have the ability to go directly into notifications.

-quick reply

Again, existed long before android.
-facebook integration
Funny you mention that, since its actually been removed from android. And apples version is very different than what android previously had.

-browser sync
Feature of iCloud. Existed in other areas before Google chrome.

-turn-by-turn navigation
So you're saying apple copied a feature that's existed for years elsewhere? And a feature that wasn't on iOS entirely because Google didn't want it to be?

Turn by turn apps in the appstore existed before Google navigation was a thing.
For the umpteenth time: varying screen sizes existed before android. Saying that apple copied is a fanboy falsehood.
I know I'm missing some things, but what I want to know is why didn't samsung and google get together and sue the pants off of apple?

Samsung and Google didn't sue because everything you mention existed long before android and neither of them hold patents for those things. If apple 'copied' then Samsung and Google copied as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
The idea of patenting things like tabbed menus and pull down screens and such is a sticky issue. It's like patenting features in automobile.... they all have power windows, air conditioning, radios and such. How do you legitimately or effectively patent those things? Seems to me that the best you can do is patent the visual appearance of those things and not the functionality....so the concept of stealing a technology or the function of a piece of technology is ridiculous. Just my thought....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
yes, pull-down notifications ARE a copy, almost directly. same concept.

Never said android invented video recording, but they certainly had it before apple. Apple was waaay behind

panoramic camera was not available first on apple, it was first on android.

And yes, the iphone 4 had the front facing camera, point is android had it FIRST.

Android DID have video calling before apple. anyone who says otherwise is just flat-out lying. I had the EVO 4G and it had video calling BEFORE apple. There were multiple choices of apps and it was first - apple came to the party last (as usual)

taking pictures while shooting video may not be unique to android, but the whole point was android had it FIRST, then apple came up with it.

multi-tasking wasn't an android original true, but android definitely had it before apple and apple STILL can't do multi-tasking right. switch back to an app and you have to wait for it to load, you can't just switch back and get right back to using it like with android.

And yes, android had wireless syncing available (via an app in the market) BEFORE apple.

tabbed browsing came to iphone with ios 5

and apple DOES have the (very limited) ability to quick launch an app from the lock screen. Look at the new ios 6, you can go directly to the camera now - where did that come from? android.

yes quick reply existed, but again, who had it first? apple or android? - exactly.

facebook integration was not taken away from android, WTF are you talking about? I use this all the time. And yes apples version isn't as good, android does it much better.

\your rebuttal of turn by turn navigation is bull and you know it. Android came with it BEFORE apple and apple could have done what they did when google pulled maps - CREATE THEIR OWN. All this time and it wasn't until the 4s that apple got turn by turn navigation and they STILL don't do it as well as android.

the fanboy force is strong within you young jedi......

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

Never said android invented video recording, but they certainly had it before apple. Apple was waaay behind

And yes, the iphone 4 had the front facing camera, point is android had it FIRST.

Android DID have video calling before apple. anyone who says otherwise is just flat-out lying. I had the EVO 4G and it had video calling BEFORE apple. There were multiple choices of apps and it was first - apple came to the party last (as usual)

taking pictures while shooting video may not be unique to android, but the whole point was android had it FIRST, then apple came up with it.

multi-tasking wasn't an android original true, but android definitely had it before apple and apple STILL can't do multi-tasking right. switch back to an app and you have to wait for it to load, you can't just switch back and get right back to using it like with android.

And yes, android had wireless syncing available (via an app in the market) BEFORE apple.

and apple DOES have the (very limited) ability to quick launch an app from the lock screen. Look at the new ios 6, you can go directly to the camera now - where did that come from? android.

yes quick reply existed, but again, who had it first? apple or android? - exactly.

facebook integration was not taken away from android, WTF are you talking about? I use this all the time. And yes apples version isn't as good, android does it much better.

\your rebuttal of turn by turn navigation is bull and you know it. Android came with it BEFORE apple and apple could have done what they did when google pulled maps - CREATE THEIR OWN. All this time and it wasn't until the 4s that apple got turn by turn navigation and they STILL don't do it as well as android.

You really shouldn't be surprised, Apple fans are always quick to claim that Apple had everything first.

I agree though that Apple is quick to patent everything they can, the real problem though is that they patent stuff they didn't use first and then they claim that they invented it. The fact they copied others is expected as that's what happens on both sides in every industry you can name. That's how business is.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
so far, apple has taken

-pull-down notifications
-panoramic camera
-front facing camera
-wireless syncing
-tabbed browsing
-quick reply
-facebook integration
-browser sync
-turn-by-turn navigation

LOL. So you think Android "invented" all of these?

This is just as bad as thinking Apple "invented" all of these.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

No its not. The concept is very different, actually.

How can apple copy something that existed on most every cellphone prior to android, from android? Explain.

Nope. It was available on the app store since the beginning. Prior to any android phone having it.

That doesn't prove anything. You posted that trying to claim apple copied. Yet, you fail to understand that the iPhone 4 had been in development for YEARS before it was released. It would have been impossible for apple to copy that feature in the time between the evo and iPhone 4 reveals.

No. You didn't. The iPhone 3Gs had video calling apps available. Like every other phone at the time, however, it was limited to the back camera.

Again with this nonsense. Apple cannot have copied something from android that existed prior to android. That's not how it works.

Now you're just grasping at straws. No, android did not invent multitasking. No, apple did not copy from android. It is irrelevant that android had it first when symbian and windows mobile had had it before android even existed.

There was an app in the app store that did this long before any android app.

No, it certainly did not. The iPhone has had tabbed browsing since the 3G, and the iPad has had it since the beginning.

Nope.

See the replied above. Your simplistic view of first must mean apple copied android makes zero sense.

You must be new here. Facebook sync was removed from android in gingerbread.

You plainly haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about. Apple wanted turn by turn in Google maps for years. Google said no.

And that still doesn't change the fact that it was not an original Google creation AND apps existed in the app store for turn by turn before Google navigation existed.

Troll.

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
so far, apple has taken

Similar concept, different execution. Copied? No.

You're trying to claim android invented cellphone video capture. Seriously?

Available on the app store long before it was even a feature on skinned android devices.

The iPhone debuted with this feature shortly after the Evo 4G did. You don't know how product development works if you think apple copied the evo.

Android didn't have this feature until after the iPhone.

Again, not unique to android.

Uhm. Three words. Windows mobile. Symbian.

Existed before android, and android still doesn't have it.

The iPhone has had this since the beginning.

? Apple doesn't have this. They have the ability to go directly into notifications.

Again, existed long before android.

Funny you mention that, since its actually been removed from android. And apples version is very different than what android previously had.

Feature of iCloud. Existed in other areas before Google chrome.

So you're saying apple copied a feature that's existed for years elsewhere? And a feature that wasn't on iOS entirely because Google didn't want it to be?

Turn by turn apps in the appstore existed before Google navigation was a thing.

For the umpteenth time: varying screen sizes existed before android. Saying that apple copied is a fanboy falsehood.

Samsung and Google didn't sue because everything you mention existed long before android and neither of them hold patents for those things. If apple 'copied' then Samsung and Google copied as well.

-video recording
-panoramic camera

Actually i believe he meant as an "Out Of The Box" Feature, so i give him this one

-front facing camera

Actually as far as i remember the HTC's non-US varients WinMo Phone's Had FFC's I.E. TOuch Pro 2 & HTC touch 4G(wiMax) Max but besdies that android had it before apple, Evo was annouced long before the iphone 4 & there were rumors going around for MONTHS about the Evo have a FCC.

-video calling
Actually We had Fring which allowed Skype Video Calling (Mobile to PC & Mobile To Mobile) along side Fring's Mobile to Mobile Video Call Service when the evo was first released...i know for a fact because i did it (skype to PC) when i
got my OG Evo Launch Morning. so i give him this one also

taking pictures while shooting video

Again as an "Out Of The Box" Feature, so i give him this one too

multi-tasking
Windows mobile. Symbian. WebOS, so ill give you a point for this one.

wireless syncing

You have to be kidding right? Go To setting's now go to Sync.... I believe all of that is wireless Sync. and android did have this before apple with the Google Contacts and facebook contacts (FroYo & Below)

quick launching of apps from lock screen

App's no. Camera Yes. Android had this feature before The iphone.

quick reply
Again. WinMo Feature but Android did incorpate it before apple.

facebook integration

It may be diffrent but android introduced it to the mobile world.

browser sync

was on android before iCould. Gingerbread anyone?

turn-by-turn navigation

larger-than-3.5" screen size
very true this was way before android & Apple.

Tabbed Internet

ill give this one to apple too

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
-video recording
-panoramic camera

Actually i believe he meant as an "Out Of The Box" Feature, so i give him this one

Irrelevant if its out of the box if there was an app in the App Store that did it first.

-front facing camera

Actually as far as i remember the HTC's non-US varients WinMo Phone's Had FFC's I.E. TOuch Pro 2 & HTC touch 4G(wiMax) Max but besdies that android had it before apple, Evo was annouced long before the iphone 4 & there were rumors going around for MONTHS about the Evo have a FCC.

I don't recall any big rumors about the evo. Also, the iPhone was leaked in whole 4 days before the evo was announced. The evo went on sale about two weeks before the iPhone.

But, all that doesn't really matter anyways. HTCs Max 4G was announced in 2008, and had a FFC.

-video calling
Actually We had Fring which allowed Skype Video Calling (Mobile to PC & Mobile To Mobile) along side Fring's Mobile to Mobile Video Call Service when the evo was first released...i know for a fact because i did it (skype to PC) when i
got my OG Evo Launch Morning. so i give him this one also

You argued above that apps don't count, so...

taking pictures while shooting video

Again as an "Out Of The Box" Feature, so i give him this one too
Make up your mind.

multi-tasking
Windows mobile. Symbian. WebOS, so ill give you a point for this one.

wireless syncing

You have to be kidding right? Go To setting's now go to Sync.... I believe all of that is wireless Sync. and android did have this before apple with the Google Contacts and facebook contacts (FroYo & Below)

Two different kinds of syncing going on there. I'm talking about device syncing that includes things like transferring music, etc. Android still doesn't have that. I'm not talking about contact sync. (And even if I was, iOS has had that since the beginning through google's sync services)

quick launching of apps from lock screen

App's no. Camera Yes. Android had this feature before The iphone.

quick reply

Irrelevant. Apple cannot steal something from android that android did not invent or be the first to incorporate.

facebook integration

It may be diffrent but android introduced it to the mobile world.

TouchFlo 2 did, actually.

browser sync

was on android before iCould. Gingerbread anyone?

I don't recall this feature ever being included on any version of android prior to the porting of chrome over.

turn-by-turn navigation

Still irrelevant. We're not talking about features that android incorporated first, we're talking about new and unique features that the author claims apple copied from android. If android didn't invent it, apple couldn't be stealing it from them.
larger-than-3.5" screen size
very true this was way before android & Apple.

Tabbed Internet

ill give this one to apple too

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
No its not. The concept is very different, actually.

How can apple copy something that existed on most every cellphone prior to android, from android? Explain.

Nope. It was available on the app store since the beginning. Prior to any android phone having it.

That doesn't prove anything. You posted that trying to claim apple copied. Yet, you fail to understand that the iPhone 4 had been in development for YEARS before it was released. It would have been impossible for apple to copy that feature in the time between the evo and iPhone 4 reveals.

No. You didn't. The iPhone 3Gs had video calling apps available. Like every other phone at the time, however, it was limited to the back camera.

Again with this nonsense. Apple cannot have copied something from android that existed prior to android. That's not how it works.

Now you're just grasping at straws. No, android did not invent multitasking. No, apple did not copy from android. It is irrelevant that android had it first when symbian and windows mobile had had it before android even existed.

There was an app in the app store that did this long before any android app.

No, it certainly did not. The iPhone has had tabbed browsing since the 3G, and the iPad has had it since the beginning.

Nope.

See the replied above. Your simplistic view of first must mean apple copied android makes zero sense.

You must be new here. Facebook sync was removed from android in gingerbread.

You plainly haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about. Apple wanted turn by turn in Google maps for years. Google said no.

And that still doesn't change the fact that it was not an original Google creation AND apps existed in the app store for turn by turn before Google navigation existed.

Troll.

Actually he is telling the truth. ALL these so called AMAZING features on iPhone commercials I done or saw on android for years lol. And its iOS devices in my household so I'm far from misinformed or bias.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Actually he is telling the truth. ALL these so called AMAZING features on iPhone commercials I done or saw on android for years lol. And its iOS devices in my household so I'm far from misinformed or bias.

Apparently you're not informed. And you don't know proper grammar or spelling either.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

What annoys me is when I got my iPod Touch how much it looked like the Palm|TX I was replacing right down to apps, except then we just referred to it as "software for Palm". You could even buy it at office stores or from the Palm store. They even had a music player. Couldn't open Adobe files but other than that, it was a much better product that Apple then took all the features of and marketed better. There will NEVER be as good a calendar as the Palm calendar. If Palm hadn't abandoned their touchscreen for a Blackberry type device when they moved into phones, they'd probably still be in existence instead of having to play touchscreen catch up and reinventing the wheel with WebOS.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante