So the police were just here.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I've got a bit of a story for everyone tonight.

It's 2:30 AM, and I'm up browsing AC, writing some Java, and up to all my usual late-night shenanigans (read: nothing exciting whatsoever). Now, my apartment has a pseudo-deck that's sort of like a patio. All the apartments' patio-decks (for the purposes of this post, that's a thing) are surrounded by a planted area of shrubs, bushes, and trees. This planted area is somewhat cordoned off by shrubs and a slight concrete 'railing' around the patio-decks, and isn't intended for any common use.

So I step out onto my patio-deck for a minute to take in some crisp Seattle air, and unbeknownst to me there's actually someone in the bushes about twenty feet away. One of the third-floor apartments turns a light on, and illuminates the person. They crouch down pretty quickly, but weren't ever looking in my direction. The light goes off, and I can barely make out their figure among the shrubs; it seems like they're lurking around one of the patio-decks. I know there are Seattle PD officers in the area — there almost always are — and so I decide to make the call. Fast-forward three or four minutes, and three squad cars roll up and meet me street-level. Three friendly, professional, and relatively young-looking SPD officers get out, and I explain the situation. I point out the area of interest, and we head down into my building and go through my apartment for better access to the planted area. I have a nice desk near the sliding door to my patio-deck, on which my computer monitors are set up. As we walk past it to head outside, I hear from the officer behind me: "hey, Android Central. Cool. I'm on that site all the time."

Moral of the story, folks? Represent yourself and Android Central well, it's a much smaller world than you might think. ;) You never know who you'll end up talking with.

Pat

Last edited:

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
What happened with crouching dude?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
That is pretty cool. Did you talk to him afterwards and tell him who you where?

I briefly mentioned I was a moderator here, and they have my full name, but they had to get going pretty quickly. I have some friends in the department so I'm going to run down to the precinct later and have one of them get my information to the officers that responded.

What happened with crouching dude?

We found evidence that someone was there, but the person was gone. We did find a set of wire-cutter-like tools. The officers stayed in the area for a while.

Last edited:

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Just remember, in Soviet Russia, SIM unlocks YOU! :D

I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with the police. I'm fortunate that in my 40 yahren on this planet, the only dealings I've had with the police are for a couple speeding tickets, a moving violation, and one accident. I mean, every once in a while I'll bump into a police officer somewhere, never a big deal, and we're always nice to each other. I think the big thing to remember is don't be stupid. There's always idiot or corrupt cops; however, most are just men and women trying to do their jobs in often difficult circumstances, and I totally respect that.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
[...] most are just men and women trying to do their jobs in often difficult circumstances, and I totally respect that.

That's the golden rule right there. I have great respect for law enforcement professionals (and rescue/response such as paramedics and firefighters) who do their jobs in today's world. I used to spend many nights at a local chocolate-themed caf? that was open until midnight most nights, and many Seattle officers would spend time there while on-duty, because it was in a central location.

I got to know some of them fairly well, and the conversations we had every few days were very compelling.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
It's funny how the world is such a small place, you hear about people working in other countries - clicking with some and realizing they might of went to the very same place (e.g used to live on the same block or school or old office in another country etc). Out of 6 billion people what are the possibilities.