EVO 4G or Droid X?

jnd3344

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I really like both these phones and can't seem to decide. Can someone help me with this dilemma and the main differences that would help me decide between the two.

jnd3344

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
well i like the Sense UI interface more than I like the Droid X's interface. The camera I guess its better on the droid X. The battery life on the droid x, I don't mind charging my phone everyday when I go to sleep, but it does matter to me that it lasts most of the day without charging and using all the internet features and listening to music etc.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
The big question isn't which phone. I have the X and I came from a Storm. Love my new Droid but from what I've seen of the Evo 4g, it looks pretty good too. But that brings me to the big question, which carrier do you want? Sprint or Verizon? Depending on where you live this will be or "should be" more of the selling point. Good luck, I think you'll be happy with either.

capnhowdy18

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with the above poster. I mean if sense is that big of deal, you can go with the Evo 4g. However to me, the bigger deal is Sprint vs Verizon. Who's coverage do you prefer? Who's plan do you prefer? Are you in a 4g area? That kind of stuff.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
The big question isn't which phone. I have the X and I came from a Storm. Love my new Droid but from what I've seen of the Evo 4g, it looks pretty good too. But that brings me to the big question, which carrier do you want? Sprint or Verizon? Depending on where you live this will be or "should be" more of the selling point. Good luck, I think you'll be happy with either.

^What he said.

I have the EVO 4G and my friend has the Droid X and I think they're both great devices but it does come down to which carrier is best for you. You can have an amazing top of the line phone but if the carrier isn't good in your area, you have an awesome media player :p

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Yes, it all comes down to carriers. Given that Sprint's pricing plans are generally cheaper, and you can be a Premier member and get a yearly upgrade, that may be the better choice as long as you have good Sprint coverage.

jnd3344

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
right now im not with any carrier, im in boston and by Q4 of 2010 it will get 4g and with sprint i get unlimited data and messaging as well as 450 minutes for 70 which i would have to pay 90 or something in verizion

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
right now im not with any carrier, im in boston and by Q4 of 2010 it will get 4g and with sprint i get unlimited data and messaging as well as 450 minutes for 70 which i would have to pay 90 or something in verizion

That's the plan I have with Sprint ($69.99/month) and they work great in my area as well as pretty much everywhere I go.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Droid X.

The only +1 EVO has over X is the front facing camera, but when you think about it how many people have a front facing camera that you know? Thats really the only time you can apply this as actually being a plus. I don't see mobile phone video calls taking off for at least another year.

The other big question is, which network do you prefer? I personally enjoy Verizon, even though its a bit expensive.

Those two things put aside the Droid X is easily a better device in every other aspect.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the above posts. Choose your carrier first, and your phone second. That said, here's what I had to say to the same question a while back:

I had the EVO for 30-days. In my opinion the EVO is aesthetically amazing (I like rounded corners), has an amazing UI (Sense), can be rooted & ROM'd, has a kickstand (should be required on phones of this size) will only get better with updates, and once you get used to the size (in about 12 hours or less), I realized the benefits of messaging, video, and web browsing were worth it.

I like the X because it's on my carrier of choice. I won't lie - I will miss Sense, and although there are apps/widgets in the Market that can substitute, non look as polished as HTC's. However, I believe the build quality is amazing, the screen is gorgeous (as is the EVO's), battery life have been slightly better than the EVO was, it sounds zippier (Sorry, but the EVO - regardless that it has the same processor - just didn't perform as quickly), and I appreciate it's dedicated GPU. The main reason I am getting the X, is because I actually fell in love with the EVO's screen size, and realize I wanted something similar with my carrier of choice.

Nobody, in this forum, that has an EVO should feel like they are missing out. We X'ers and you EVO'ers have really made out perfectly in both cases.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
First thing you need to consider is carrier coverage in the areas that you spend most of your time in. If one of them (Sprint or Verizon) has bad coverage for you, then your decision should be easy.

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I think you merged the threads right when I clicked "submit," so I think my post went nowhere. Bad timing. If this is already posted somewhere, please delete and keep this one.

If this is the argument we're having, times are good!

I think applications and UI are a non-issue since between replacement apps, widgets, task killers (another debate ;-) ) and even rooting you should be able to customize both to be identical fits for your needs.

Get the X if:
--You are a gamer (dedicated CPU)
--VZW coverage is better (Boston's a wash, it comes down to your individual home really)
--You have more cash

Get the EVO if (Pretty much everything else, but specifically):
--You can get 4G before your contract would end. 4G is a hands-down KO winner.
--You want to spend less. Even with the $10 surcharge Sprint is cheaper than VZW or ATT.
--You eat data and communicate with text messages more than with actual face-to-face.
--You're a developer and want to run your own apps loaded with the Android SDK.
--You're a hacker and want to root and run your own ROMs w/o the Motorola "fuse."

The best plan:

--Buy the EVO. Customize it until it's perfect. Then beat the daylights out of it for 29 days.
--Return it on day 30 if:
--Coverage in your home or regular hangout sucks and you know VZW's is better
--You have unacceptable performance issues with gaming or video playback.

Now, if you only have problems with gaming/video playback, then I'd give the Epic 4G a try, which will have a keyboard and dedicated GPU. It should be out by day 30 as well.

Let us know what you pick! Life is good.

--Qfg

jnd3344

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
wow thanks alot what a helpful post you nailed it. whats up with gaming in the evo? plus can you resize widgets in the evo like with the droid x through some app or customization or something? Right now im going for the evo

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
For me, it's all about the carrier first and the phone second. You can have the coolest phone in the world, but if your data coverage sucks, so will that coolest phone. Data/call prices are also not as important as the service. Again, a cheaper plan that doesn't work half the time is not worth very much. Make sure that you aren't fooled by companies like AT&T that show cell phone coverage maps...you want to look at the DATA map coverage. With any smart phone, data coverage is all that matters. If you are a person that almost never travels, and both carriers have the same data coverage, then you could go either way. However, if you sometimes go to grandma's or a buddies house in another city/state, or you like to camp/hunt/fish on the weekends and that takes you out of your city area, check the data maps of each carrier for those areas. If you travel with any regularity, then there's no question to ponder, Verizon has the best nationwide data coverage of any carrier by a ginormous margine.

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
wow thanks alot what a helpful post you nailed it. whats up with gaming in the evo? plus can you resize widgets in the evo like with the droid x through some app or customization or something? Right now im going for the evo

NP. I'm following the same plan when my contract ends soon. I think the Epic will be out then so I'll have more to choose.

As for gaming, the 2.1 Evo had a 30fps limit on video. Since HD video is only 24fps it's enough, but some games are seeing better benchmarks on the X and the Galaxy S phones with the GPU. There's a comparison video somewhere in the Reviews. The CPU benchmarks are all pretty close but the racing game they used got much better scores on the phones with dedicated GPUs. The rooted EVOs with custom ROMs remove this limit. I've heard the official 2.2 update does as well but others reported that it's still stuck at 30fps.

Widget resizing depends on the individual widget, I think. Some of the widgets on my Hero can be resized. I don't know if that's an HTC Sense thing or if it's app specific.

--Qfg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay