Anyone else think the Android explosion is getting out of hand?

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Im all for the growth of the platform, but does anyone else think that there are too many devices too soon apart? i mean, isnt Android supposed to be a top of the line OS? IMHO the mix of the massive number of mediocre spec'ed devices with high end ones makes Android as a whole look more like the next "feature phone" rather than a premium smartphone in consumers eyes. Blackberry has many devices but still has the respect it deserves as a whole for being "Blackberry" you wont get that with a Backflip, Sage, or an Intercept... why?

just wanted to see what everyone else thinks of this

dragozoid

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes and I think this is one of the reasons why it takes so long for phones to get updates. The Droid came out in November 2009, then the Incredible in May, and now two months later the DX is out - not to mention the Fascinate is still coming this year. And these are all just on Verizon. I guess that's what happens when you have an open source OS and let manufacturers put it on their phones. This can be good and bad. Good because it gives consumers a choice and bad because of lack of support or slow updates in the long run.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
You look at it from a seller's point of view and its all good. What company would turn down putting a high end OS on their phone? Think, if apple would put iOS4 on other phones how well they would sell? Its a numbers games my friend. And by numbers I mean money.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
isnt Android supposed to be a top of the line OS?

Not at all. Elitism is really best left to that other manufacturer, Android is about openness and freedom - primarily the freedom for manufacturers to experiment with whatever it is they think will make the market better. You can say this is like Ferrari coming out with a family sedan, but to make that analogy work you have to assume that gas stations are brand specific. It's apps and web support that make Android phones work, and you can only get so far with a handful of superphones. If you want to really see support for our phones you need to have them at all price points in as many form factors as deemed workable. Remember, the superphone of today is equivalent to an entry-level phone in two years' time. Today's low end entries can still run rings around the G1.

d-shade

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I think the Android explosion is great I think the variety of the phone is nice. Granted the market gets flooded with devices but it gives the end user more options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton