Hi. I'm David. I switched to android, and wish I never did.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Usually on new devices, you have to wait until the first service updates to come out to see a more refined OS.

Android is not exempt from this, as seen in numerous devices over the years. OEMs release their devices with what appears to be a functional, snappy OS only to find out after launch that a whole lot of consumers identify lag after installing all of their favorite social media apps and transferring their data from their old phone.

That alone can bring an OS to it's knees, whether you have a gigabyte of ram free or not. As for quad core processors, they mean nothing if the apps aren't written to take advantage of the extra cores.

Even the Nexus 4, the Google flagship phone had issues when it was released. The iPhone 5 had some abysmal problems upon launch, all corrected by service updates.

And, just so you know, you do sound like an iPhone fanboy, just saying.

I had used the iPhone 3, 3g and 4 before I decided the Apple walled garden had to go. I have also used Blackberry and Windows Mobile, and currently use Android and Windows Phone 8 as my daily devices.

I do not regret leaving Apple and find Android a better alternative to iOS. Customization is my primary reasoning. I like my device my way, not Apple's.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 4 would have been a better choice for a more fluid Android experience.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
Not sure if this is necessarily the best first choice for former iPhone users since they have to find apps for themselves that do many of the things included in the iPhone that other manufacturers seem to include. Maybe once they are comfortable customizing and finding apps and no longer dependent on what came preinstalled, then they should switch to a pure Google phone.

I'm a current iPhone user and I've got an HTC One on order and I'm starting to second guess my decision. The only major thing I don't like about the iPhone is I would like a larger screen. I could care less if someone else's phone is exactly the same as mine, it wouldn't bother me in the least.

To me, the apps are the core of what I use the phone for. The operating system is just something in the background.

Can somebody help me out and tell me what you can do on Android that you can't do on the iPhone and is something that you actually use? ie. everybody talks about NFC, but does anybody actually use it? Not trying to start a flame war or belittle anybody's operating system, I just truly want to know.
There are a gazillion threads on here regarding NFC and what to do with it. There is also a thread entitled "what can the One do that iPhone can't" in the HTC One forum. It's really more about "what can Android do that iOS can't". The answer is a s##tload of things. That's why it's complicated. If you want someone to just hand you something that works and you never have to think about it again, get an iPhone. If you are willing to take the time to learn about your phone and all it can do, then keep your Android. This is directed to the OP as well.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 4 would have been a better choice for a more fluid Android experience.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Not sure if this is necessarily the best first choice for former iPhone users since they have to find apps for themselves that do many of the things included in the iPhone that other manufacturers seem to include. Maybe once they are comfortable customizing and finding apps and no longer dependent on what came preinstalled, then they should switch to a pure Google phone.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

I'd have to disagree. My impression is that it's not really about Apps for the OP. It's the frustration of having to poke so much at things. That's OEM skins and Carrierbloat. For example, the GF's Galaxy S II drives me bonkers. Both with ICS and now the JB update. She's long been asking me to "do this" or "show her that" because it takes too long to find that one setting or function.

I came back to Android recently after a long hiatus (Cupcake!!!) with a GNex (I had it for testing Ubuntu Touch) and quickly bumped up to the N4 (after maybe a week). I've had no trouble finding what I need to accomplish things. Meanwhile I've been frustrated for over a year every time I'm handed that S II and asked to help.

<edit> Forgot to say, I'd never get a non-nexus phone again for that reason. </edit>

What Apps do you suppose would be lacking from the Google 4.2.2 that a new user would have a hard time finding an replacement for???

Last edited:

djdark04

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I noticed some lag on the Note 2 and my Galaxy S2 right out of the box, but when I bought the HTC One, finally no more lag in menus, home screen, drawer. The UI is extremely smooth. IOS is really smooth on newer iPhones, but is way too dry for me. If you want simplicity, iPhone is the way to go, but if you're a curious soul then Android could be the phone for you.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Well David, some people just aren't College material. 8th grade is comfortable to them and they decide to stay there for a few years. You will know when you are ready for the Ivy league and Android will still be here.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

WarEagleDoc

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been waiting to write this for a few days now, and thought I'd join this forum and express my opinion and hear what you guys all have to say.

I switched to android. I ******* hate it.

I have been an iPhone user since day one. Yup, that ****ty metal, heavy, 2g device. I've never used another phone (as my everyday) since than. Sure, I've played with phones and used some for weeks at a time (I used to work at AT&T), but the iPhone was always my go to.

Recently, the S4 and the ONE came out. The specs, and hype, the marketing.... really intrigued me. I said, "You know what? **** it. I'll get an android. These phones are top notch, and they have more features than I know what to do with, I want to switch". For the past 2 years, I've been complaining that Apple is.... BORING.... LACKING INNOVATION.... EXCLUDING SIMPLE FEATURES.... ETC. Trust me, I am NOT a Apple fanboy. I complain PLENTY about how the iPhone should have specific features (as simple as A SCREEN BRIGHTNESS CHANGER WITHOUT HAVING TO GO INTO THE SETTINGS). Trust me, I know how it is guys... Finally, I made the switch.

I bought this S4. From AT&T. Man, it's a sexy phone. Sleek. Big display. GORGEOUS display. Removable battery, added storage, quad core, the list goes on. This phone on paper, is unbelievable. But that's where it stops.

Immediately beginning to use this phone (as my everyday) I release how.... laggy it is.... how complex it is.... how it has features that are simply ******* STUPID. I'm moving around this QUAD CORE device with 2GB of ram and noticing just suttle lag all over the place. In the menu, in apps, etc. I'm realizing that the fact that my finger DOESNT NEED TO TOUCH THE DISPLAY FOR IT TO STILL TRIGGER I TOUCHED IT, annoys the hell out of me. I realize all this stupid bloatware from the manufacturer / att (yes i know about rooting, and I did that later).

I miss my iPhone.

Moving around android just annoys me. Its too detailed. There are WAY too many options. The flexibilty and the customization options are INSANELY overdone. The phone is powerful. The phone is ultimately designed to make it how YOU want it, but it goes too far. I miss my iPhone.

I miss the simplicity. I miss the smoothness. I miss the fact that everything, just, worked. I dont know. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm close minded. But Android overall, seems to be just trying to hard to stand out.

All I want in a phone... is a phone... that just works. Smoothly. Take out all this bull**** that is added in these days... take out all the features that obviously NO ONE will use, and focus on the usability/reliability of the device. Focus on what the user ULTIMATELY will be using. Take out the bull****. Make it straight forward. Why do these manufacturers push so far to 'customize' their devices claiming it gives the 'ultimate experience'? No it doesn't... it bloats the phone and makes it overwhelming.

Ok, I'm dont ranting. I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say. Any of you iPhone divorces? Would love to understand what you think about these new phones. I'm willing to give it a shot, but I'm unsure....

I have been an iPhone user since its inception. I just switched to Android 3 days ago when I bought the Galaxy S4. I can't say I have had any of these issues. Granted it is taking some time to get used too because its different, but so far I have enjoyed it. I will admit, I actually hate the weight of this thing. I wish it were a tad heavier. For now though, I think I am going to push on through and hang on to this one.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well David, some people just aren't College material. 8th grade is comfortable to them and they decide to stay there for a few years. You will know when you are ready for the Ivy league and Android will still be here.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

That really helps nothing. :(

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
It would be interesting to see how the OP experience would be on a Nexus with stock Android. Touchwiz is the most oem tweaked customization of Android and I'd agree it's starting to go too far.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
What Apps do you suppose would be lacking from the Google 4.2.2 that a new user would have a hard time finding an replacement for???
I didn't say they would have trouble *finding* them. I said they wouldn't want to *need* to find them. That's what I thought the issue was as well - just wanting to use the phone and not have to think about adding or changing anything more. TouchWiz sounds like it might not be the best though. Maybe something in between?

Timback

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been waiting to write this for a few days now, and thought I'd join this forum and express my opinion and hear what you guys all have to say.

I switched to android. I ******* hate it.

I have been an iPhone user since day one. Yup, that ****ty metal, heavy, 2g device. I've never used another phone (as my everyday) since than. Sure, I've played with phones and used some for weeks at a time (I used to work at AT&T), but the iPhone was always my go to.

Recently, the S4 and the ONE came out. The specs, and hype, the marketing.... really intrigued me. I said, "You know what? **** it. I'll get an android. These phones are top notch, and they have more features than I know what to do with, I want to switch". For the past 2 years, I've been complaining that Apple is.... BORING.... LACKING INNOVATION.... EXCLUDING SIMPLE FEATURES.... ETC. Trust me, I am NOT a Apple fanboy. I complain PLENTY about how the iPhone should have specific features (as simple as A SCREEN BRIGHTNESS CHANGER WITHOUT HAVING TO GO INTO THE SETTINGS). Trust me, I know how it is guys... Finally, I made the switch.

I bought this S4. From AT&T. Man, it's a sexy phone. Sleek. Big display. GORGEOUS display. Removable battery, added storage, quad core, the list goes on. This phone on paper, is unbelievable. But that's where it stops.

Immediately beginning to use this phone (as my everyday) I release how.... laggy it is.... how complex it is.... how it has features that are simply ******* STUPID. I'm moving around this QUAD CORE device with 2GB of ram and noticing just suttle lag all over the place. In the menu, in apps, etc. I'm realizing that the fact that my finger DOESNT NEED TO TOUCH THE DISPLAY FOR IT TO STILL TRIGGER I TOUCHED IT, annoys the hell out of me. I realize all this stupid bloatware from the manufacturer / att (yes i know about rooting, and I did that later).

I miss my iPhone.

Moving around android just annoys me. Its too detailed. There are WAY too many options. The flexibilty and the customization options are INSANELY overdone. The phone is powerful. The phone is ultimately designed to make it how YOU want it, but it goes too far. I miss my iPhone.

I miss the simplicity. I miss the smoothness. I miss the fact that everything, just, worked. I dont know. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm close minded. But Android overall, seems to be just trying to hard to stand out.

All I want in a phone... is a phone... that just works. Smoothly. Take out all this bull**** that is added in these days... take out all the features that obviously NO ONE will use, and focus on the usability/reliability of the device. Focus on what the user ULTIMATELY will be using. Take out the bull****. Make it straight forward. Why do these manufacturers push so far to 'customize' their devices claiming it gives the 'ultimate experience'? No it doesn't... it bloats the phone and makes it overwhelming.

Ok, I'm dont ranting. I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say. Any of you iPhone divorces? Would love to understand what you think about these new phones. I'm willing to give it a shot, but I'm unsure....

This phone is too sophisticated for you, go back to the iPhone with your geritol friends, for you to come here and trash this phone, you should be banned, call tim cook, he will be out of a job this time next year, he will bring down apple with his dumb *** decisions. Apple is a 7 yr old phone with a 7 yr old technology, you obviously are a person who hates change, I have a Motorola Razor if you want it, enjoy your iPhone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Viva Terlingua

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
This phone is too sophisticated for you, go back to the iPhone with your geritol friends, for you to come here and trash this phone, you should be banned, call tim cook, he will be out of a job this time next year, he will bring down apple with his dumb *** decisions. Apple is a 7 yr old phone with a 7 yr old technology, you obviously are a person who hates change, I have a Motorola Razor if you want it, enjoy your iPhone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Why is it some people feel their manhood is threatened if somebody doesn't like their operating system as much as they do?

p.s. If you think newer operating systems and change are the best, how come you're not switching to the new Blackberry?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've got a HTC One and I don't have any "lag" (at least by my definition). So, I don't understand how a new S4 could be so noticeably laggy. Is this lag seen when moving around the OS, or is it with your browser or some other network related activity? I'm wondering if the lag is due to your data connection?

In the end, if you're happier with an iPhone then go for it. IPhones are good smartphones, especially if you like the Apple ecosystem.

jasongeiger

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Turn off some or all of those features or root and install aosp on it. Or return it. My step son sees all the other Android phones in our home and still stays on iOS. It boggles my mind sometimes but there's gotta be some reason why he prefers it other than kids his age assume iphone is the best.

Sent from my note 2

Anubis1

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I was an iPhone user to and just recently bought the HTC One, love it! Like the other posters in this thread with the HTC One, I don't experience any lag either. Better screen (for me), definitely not boring like iOS is. Give it a few weeks, it might grow on you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20