estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
AS an Evo owner, I will tell you that the answer is no. I think HTC Sense is the best software package out there since it adds the most functionality to Android of any skin, and it definitely has some cool looks as well. However, I do believe that HTC makes some serious mistakes with their hardware choices, which ultimately degrades the user experience. First, they refuse to use gorilla glass, which is stronger and much more durable, and greatly resists against scratches. Secondly, they always use Qualcomm processors, which are generally cheap in the negative sense of the word, and do not provide strong performance compared to the competition. In fact, I am convinced that the only reason HTC uses Qualcomm for the processor is because it is cheap. They need to stop doing that. Thridly, the hardware components are cheap in general. All plastic, and not very good plastic at that. Compare the HTC hardware with Motorola hardware and you will know what I mean. Take for example the camera. The HTC Evo camera is an 8mp camera, which should be fantastic. But take the quality of the pictures and videos taken and compare with the camera on Droid X and iPhone 4. Both defeat the Evo quality easily, especially the iPhone's camera.

Sorry for the rant, but that's the way I feel about HTC. It is probably the last HTC device I will purchase until they decide to change their ways. Samsung seems to be on the right track, as well as Apple and MOtorola (although their phones are dead ugly).

I likle sense, but really don't like anything else when compared to the competition.

My 2 cents.

xorbe

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
weak camera, gps non-functional when speaker is used (music etc), notification light stops after few minutes and is non-functional when plugged into power and lacks multiple colors, overheats easily in car when used as gps due to the next reason, continuous battery charge/discharge since it can't run entirely from plugged-in power and can't peak charge since battery is always in use.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
HTC makes some of the best hardware out there... Gorilla glass is just a trade name by Corning... It's just tempered glass like the windshield in your car. My EVO has been naked for nearly two months (No case and no screen protector) not a single scratch and I do semi agree HTC uses a lot of plastic but I had a Nexus One and it was a wonderful design and was made of a metal not all plastic. That said the EVO is a solid phone in the nearly 3 months I have had it... Works great and feels great in the hand. It's been dropped a couple of times and no cracks or problems...

Agree fully with splmonster... To get good pictures out of the EVO you have to take it off auto and manually adjust the settings to your surroundings and it works great. But neither HTC or Corning will say weather the EVO uses the name brand Gorilla glass.. I have asked both HTC and Corning and they both basically say no comment.. Corning just told me that Gorilla glass is used on several different phone MFG's around the world but couldn't comment on any particular phone...

Qualcomm has been in the business a long time and IMO they make a decent processor.. Heck most of the mobile 1 ghz processors are based on technology licensed by ARM.... Even the Apple processor is basically an ARM design they pay to use.. Same with the Qualcomm... They are all pretty good and do their job... My EVO is darn fast....

capnhowdy18

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the person who said define best. HTC does not deliver the best "android" experience for one reason to me. How deeply ingrained sense is into the core package. Now granted I like a lot of what sense has to offer, however its very hard to turn and remove parts of sense. A lot of what android has to offer is customization, sense hinders that in part.

Now are they bad? No. I love my evo, don't think I'd want to switch for an epic. However I don't think anyone phone is the best. For instance, I hate the front buttons on the Droid X. Epic has a great screen, but isn't quite big enough for me. Theres tons of plus and minus'.

In my opinion its goes like this.

HTC has the best interface, if you don't want to customize as much, or at the very least aren't as anal about having stuff run in the background. I really like the capacitive buttons on the front. The are also very quick on their updates.

Motorla droids offer the closest to vanilla android experience they you are gonna get.

Samsung (galaxy s)has the prettiest screens and probably the best for media and games.

However this is all subjective. I'd play with the phones your looking into and see whats right for you.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have used motorola, samsung, htc, lg for android. I personally prefer how htc and samsung for the user expierience. Htc i yhink just runs a little smoother with the systrm with easier options than what samsung does. Also they feel more durable then the galaxy s line of phones in terms of the hardware. I just wish htc had the super amoled screens

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I truly love HTC's Sense interface. I think it's great. But they should step up their hardware.

Folks, every device that uses Gorilla glass gladly says so. They shout it out in order to let consumers know that they are using top of the line products. HTC just says "no comment." What does that tell you? They are not using gorilla glass. Samsung shouted it out from the rooftops. Motorola does the same. Even Apple says what kind of glass they use. HTC does not. It's because they use something less expensive and less durable than the competition.

About the camera comments- See, but I want it to work correctly without me having to work for it every time I turn it on. Come on, don't be like iPhone users and find an excuse to everything that is wrong with their device.

The fact is that you want to buy a product that just works. A product that does what it says...out of the box. When I pick up an iPhone 4 or a Droid X and use the camera on them, I don't have to mess with settings. It just shoots a great picture.

As far as Qualcomm goes, yes, they make DECENT processors. However, the competition is better. In fact, 100% of the competition is better. NVIDIA is coming out with their Tegra chips that will outclass anything out there. Samsung hasn't been around for nearly as long as Qualcomm, yet they make a better chip in every way. TI has been in the game a while, and they make much better chips as well. And guess what.... everything that I mentioned, with the exception of the Qualcomm chip, has a GPU that is dedicated.

I would rather have something and not need it, than need it and not have it. Kind of like a condom. See?

Again, this is my last HTC device until they decide to use something else, or Qualcomm decides to build a better chip.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
When was that confirmed? The source you posted, which I have seen before, does not state that the screen is made from gorilla glass. Give me a source that does please, I would like to find out for sure.

And no, the qualcomm processor does what YOU need it to do. Say for example, a robust 3d game from gameloft... No solid performance. Also, if you compare picture loading between the qualcomm snapdragon phones and other 1ghz processors, you will notice that the qualcomm is significantly slower to load. I could mention other scenarios, but I think you get my point.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
When was that confirmed? The source you posted, which I have seen before, does not state that the screen is made from gorilla glass. Give me a source that does please, I would like to find out for sure.

And no, the qualcomm processor does what YOU need it to do. Say for example, a robust 3d game from gameloft... No solid performance. Also, if you compare picture loading between the qualcomm snapdragon phones and other 1ghz processors, you will notice that the qualcomm is significantly slower to load. I could mention other scenarios, but I think you get my point.

Significantly slower is an exaggeration.... I have compared my EVO vs the iPhone 4 and Droid 2 and they are almost exactly the same... the difference when loading pictures or webpages are minimal at best. The iPhone and Droid 2 appeared to be milliseconds quicker loading pictures and webpages over WiFi....

Again HTC and Corning will not confirm if the EVO uses the trademark name "Gorilla Glass" Gorilla glass is AGAIN just tempered glass like the windshield of your car... It's tough and very scratch resistant.. There are several glass MFG's out there that make glass just as tough as the product corning makes that does not use the Gorilla name.

You guys are getting too caught up in a brand.... Which is exactly what they try to do.. Brand selling is a major marketing ploy... Get people to buy off the name not the true quality (not to say that Gorilla glass is cheap or bad) Apple is king at this in that people buy it because it's an Apple and it's exactly why Apple has some of the highest margins in the Tech World... If you can build a brand you can make a ton of money on name alone....

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've had zero problems with HTC build quality and intact they are known for haveing excellent phones. The evo is no exception.
As for gpu and gaming, its not like gameloft has amazing games and the whole android market lacks in 3d gaming so most leveled headed people people could care less. If you want portable gaming get a PSP or something. The only 3d games I have are Nintendo emulators, the rest are 2d and great for killing a time.
And who cares if its not name brand gorilla glass it does its job and that's all that matters.

Bottom line HTC makes great phones.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Significantly slower is an exaggeration.... I have compared my EVO vs the iPhone 4 and Droid 2 and they are almost exactly the same... the difference when loading pictures or webpages are minimal at best. The iPhone and Droid 2 appeared to be milliseconds quicker loading pictures and webpages over WiFi....

Again HTC and Corning will not confirm if the EVO uses the trademark name "Gorilla Glass" Gorilla glass is AGAIN just tempered glass like the windshield of your car... It's tough and very scratch resistant.. There are several glass MFG's out there that make glass just as tough as the product corning makes that does not use the Gorilla name.

You guys are getting too caught up in a brand.... Which is exactly what they try to do.. Brand selling is a major marketing ploy... Get people to buy off the name not the true quality (not to say that Gorilla glass is cheap or bad) Apple is king at this in that people buy it because it's an Apple and it's exactly why Apple has some of the highest margins in the Tech World... If you can build a brand you can make a ton of money on name alone....

Yeah ummm... Brand name takes a lot to make solid. A lot of good, quality products. Apple thrives because they make a great product. everything about their products hardware wise is excellent. I mean, they make a phone out of stainless steel and glass...no plastic. Their laptops are all aluminum. No plastic (except keys). I don't have an iphone, but I truly respect apples engineering.

Yes there are alternatives to gorilla glass, and that's fine with me. Put it on there. But I'm sure htc doesn't have any kind of special glass in their devices.

The reason brand names are brands names is because they build stuff better, most of the time. There is a reason why someone would buy a samsung tv over a vizio. Or an htc phone over an lg phone. Is because the good brands build good products. Brand is the way it works. Qualcomm usually makes an underpowered processor, while someone like ti makes a better one. Simple.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site

Oh, and no....the difference in loading pictures and video from the gallery is huge between the phones. On my evo, I actually have to wait for pictures to load just so I can see them. Also on my gf evo. But I pick up a droid x, or an iphone (both of which I have the time to use daily), and the difference is significant. Yes, significant. Also, try the 3d games. Which phone runs them faster? Droid x and iphone. My games laaaaaaaaaaaaag.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had zero problems with HTC build quality and intact they are known for haveing excellent phones. The evo is no exception.
As for gpu and gaming, its not like gameloft has amazing games and the whole android market lacks in 3d gaming so most leveled headed people people could care less. If you want portable gaming get a PSP or something. The only 3d games I have are Nintendo emulators, the rest are 2d and great for killing a time.
And who cares if its not name brand gorilla glass it does its job and that's all that matters.

Bottom line HTC makes great phones.

I don't care if it is gorilla glass. Just give me an equivalent.

Not a good argument for the games. So, with the same logic, should I carry with me an alarm clock because it is louder, and a camera because it takes slightly better pictures, and a calculator because it is dedicated, and a video player for my movies, and a ipod for my music? No. the point of a smartphone is to have all of that in one. And I happen to enjoy gameloft games, at least when I had them on my pre and they ran smoothly. You know why they did with my pre? Ti processor. Not qualcomm.

Haven't you noticed that nintendo and sony believe that iphone is a major competitor when it comes to gaming? Because it is.

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It seems to be all of the recent HTC smartphones have flawed cameras. The colors from the phone are always off, even with proper WB dialed in.

Camera must be a feature HTC doesn't care about too much.

anon(39328)

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
^ I had the Moto Droid before going to the Incredible, and I can definitely say for a fact that the Moto camera sucks rocks by comparison. At least, that was my experience. The Incredible camera takes really nice pictures once you figure out how to properly use it. Vignette is also a very good app to use with it, and I assume it probably works good on other phones too.

Anyway... I've had three Android phones so far. Hero, Droid, and Inc. I personally like HTC phones more than the Moto phones. I've yet to try any of the others out there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer