My Girlfriend Lost Her WIFI Password

Mudvayne622

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok so the title says it all. She doesnt know the password for her wireless router, cant find the disk for it, and her ex changed her username and password on the router(so it is no longer admin and password respectivly) so using www.routerlogin.net and also 192.168.1.1 . Now her router does have a Push To Connect Button, but I was shocked to find that the Evo doesnt have an option for this. I was able to connect my Droid X this way, but no such luck on the Evo. So is she pretty much screwed?

qitupx

May 16, 2010
Visit site
most routers, if not all, have a reset button on the back, hold it down for a few seconds and see if it restarts and resets everything, if that doesn't work, unplug it, hold down the reset button for a few seconds, plug the router back in while holding it down, when plugged in, wait a few more seconds, and let go of the reset button. Those are the most common ways, but it may be different for the router you are using. If that is the case youll have to check the manual.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I agree, with the router on, take a pencil or a paperclip and push the little recessed reset button in for at least 30 seconds. This will reset the router back to its factory state and will also put the password back to the default "admin" and "password". Judging by your description, she has a Netgear router. You don't even need to run the disk to set it up. After you reset the router, just go to the wireless section and set a new password. You can leave the actual router password at it's default settings if you like, unless there are a lot of people in that household that shouldn't be messing with router settings, there's not much use to put one on it to begin with.

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It is not recommend to leave the default password on the router. There are hacks floating around the Internet that can use this to take over the router and access your computers by openning up ports, etc.

So I do not forget my settings I write the user, password and security key on a note and put it on the bottom of the router. (I use a labeler for this purpose.) Only my wife and I are in the home so doing this is not risky.

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Fortunately it sounds like they did change the password but forgot it.

I highly recommend KeePass to securely store passwords on any platform including Android. The name of the Android version is KeePassDroid.

LastPass is great as well, but it is not useful if you don't have Internet access.

Of course you need to set a strong password on the Apps, and don't forget that one!

--
Sent on my EVO 4G with Tapatalk

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i use a password protected MS Word File with Strong Encryption and Documents To Go to store all of my passwords, accounts numbers, etc. the beauty is you can open this file on any device in the world with MS Word or Docs To Go. Docs To Go 3.0 coming soon will support Office 2007 Super Strong Encryption/Password.

i like the free-flow format and the open standard of an MS Word File. i don't like some mom and pop locked proprietary black box closed format. and MS Word and Docs To Go is free if you already have it.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I would like to thank you. I have Cisco. Does that work the same way without the start up disk?

I am guessing your Cisco is basically just a new Linksys router, right? Linksys got bought up by Cisco, so they changed the names on them. But yes, same idea, I never use that stupid disk that comes with a router, no need for them if all you want to do is get online as quickly as possible. All settings can be changed from within the routers web based menu, all that CD and it's software provide is an additional wizard interface to make things "easier".

And yeah I agree, depending on your neighborhood and your daily state of paranoia, it might be a good idea to change the default username and password to access the router, although most people never do.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I hope you get this fixed but it really had nothing to do with the EVo so I am moving this thread to the General Chat forum

Later,
Dave

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams