Does anyone own Dell Venue Model 1666BLK

Jay Sloan

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
We have two of the Venue 8's in our house and they are constantly in use. They recently received the 4.3 update and have had no issues. I'd recommend the 8" variant as the processor and camera are a little better.

Posted via Android Central App

PapsJohn

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I too am frustrated by lack of forums for the Dell Venue tablets. I found one forum for that line but would not accept my post!

This is my first experience with both tablet (venue 7) and with Android and, I have a couple of questions:

- Does this tablet have a GPS receiver that does not rely on an internet connection. I would like to try some of the GPS apps but haven't had any luck.

- Does each device mfgr modify the Android OS for their specific device? This tablet uses Android v4.3 and wonder if it will soon upgrade to v4.4. I find a number of Apps I would like to try but, some tell me they are not compatible with my device.

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Dell has a forum on the company web site that is not too bad.
All gps units require on board maps or a data connection. There are quite a few good gps apps in the play store. I don't use them much but navfree USA is free and does the job.
Yes each manufacturer modifies their version of android to each specific device. The Dell has a very "vanilla" unaltered version which is good.
Word is 4.4 should come out for dell venue 7 & 8 next month.
Dell forum link.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4585.aspx

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

PapsJohn

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply!

I've tried the WAZE (?) app for navigation but, I can't seem to get it to track me on the road. Guess I'll have to continue using my TomTom stuck to the windshield. :)

PapsJohn

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
You know, what had me screwed up was attempting to input home location while off line. Once I realized that, I discovered that I could navigate via GPS w/o having an on line connection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
movefla18