Should we start asking for better quality devices?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
After researching new phones to upgrade with, it seems build quality just isn't all that good across the board for phones that cost so much. Even the flagship phones are having issues related to build quality. I get that phones can go through a lot of abuse, but I'm talking about things like the HTC One M8's camera lens coating being seemingly able to be "scratched by a feather" as one person put it, and the S5's weak USB port cover hinge breaking. The internet can be flooded about a chronic design problem on a device, but the companies seem to put their blinders on and claim "it's not a known issue" whenever anyone contacts them directly with a warranty claim.

Add to that, you aren't given a new phone with warranty replacements like with any other product. You're sent refurbished phones, and I use the term loosely, that are plagued with problems right out of the box that should have been addressed with the refurbishing process. Then there's the updates that carriers shove down your throat whether you want it or not, and all too often introduce problems into the device that weren't there before. Even if a reset is recommended, that's a hassle to backup and restore everything, and you can't simply decline the update in the first place if you're happy with the way things are.

I blame the masses for always wanting the latest and greatest new device, and the manufactures and carriers for rushing things to market with what I'd consider poor quality control measures. Is it so bad to be patient, take a step back, and let things be ironed out before being released?

I know this sounds like a rant, and it is to an extent, but I'm not just complaining. I want to know if there's anything that could be done to send a message to carriers and manufacturers aside from a simple email. Is it even worth it to discuss and expect quality to improve?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you buy from Costco, you can get a new replacement for 90 days.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well. IDK. I've had A LOT of android and apple phones and didn't see any 'quality' issues with them and I'm rather anal when it comes to quality. I've changed my position from that where phones with a metal chassis were seen as higher quality. LG has proven you don't need to use metal but can still use plastic and have a premium looking, feeling, and functioning build. Even Samsung is making quality devices (as deemed by my current Note 3 and S5) though, truth be told, I'm not in love with all of Sammy's design choices but their whole package is good enough (IMO) to forgive them a bit.

I rarely have any problems...if any at all. ...in fact, with all the devices I've had in the past 2 years NONE N O N E have had any 'quality' issues. There may have been software that left some to be desired but that's not uncommon on the bleeding edge.

Unlike many, I'm actually quite happy with where smartphones are today and there's literally something for everyone.

Yes, I take excellent care of my hardware but realize that's not everyone's priority.

Having said all that I can write that I'm fine with the quality we're getting for the money we're spending.

Now tablets...as in Google's Nexus 7...that's a whole other story. Plenty of room for better quality there.

NoTe 3 2 1nFiNiT1

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I have to second that. My Notes 2 and 3 have been fine, even after the dreaded updates. My daughter has a Note 2 and 2 year old son that has thrown it, dropped it, dumped a snowball on it, played with it with sticky fingers and after 2 years, the screen just cracked (of course I'm mortified when he does these things and I cringe non stop). He never touches my beloved Note 3. I have no problem with plastic, I slap a TPU case on it the minute it's unboxed. As for the updates, after reading the forums, it's miraculous that I've had zero issues with any update since GB on my NS4G. Now, that's subject to change in the future of course, but for me, no complaints.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Unlike many, I'm actually quite happy with where smartphones are today and there's literally something for everyone.

In terms of variety, I agree. It's kinda funny watching people claim their phone is best and another is junk based on subjective specs that don't apply to everyone's needs equally.

I've been lucky from what I've seen since going to a smart phone. My first was a Droid Razr that had a dead pixel right out of the box, and had the ugly green tint that plagues Super AMOLED screens to this day. I exchanged that for a Bionic so I could have a white capable screen and have had no manufacturer design flaws. The upgrades were a little dicey, but I had help to smooth things out. It's still working fine, minus a little lag from low memory now and then

My mate, on the other hand, also had a Razr. I don't remember all of her problems, but she went through three of them before we talked Verizon into letting us switch hers to an S3, which also had problems almost from the start. Every exchange, including the move to the S3 was a refurbished phone. A couple of recent OS updates have rendered her phone almost useless now.

I've read numerous similar accounts and I've started calling it refurbish roulette, because so many of these "like new" phones are being shipped out with defects and immediately turned back in. I know mistakes do happen in manufacturing, but for a device to have as many flaws from the start as I've seen, it's more than an isolated oops. It's rather pathetic for devices that run $500-700.

And then their's USB charging. I want to strangle whoever thought that was a good idea with the twenty or so cables I've had to junk in the past two years because they went bad. So much for an idea that was supposed to reduce landfill waste, but don't get me started. XD

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
True, but if you value camera quality then stay away from Motorola devices.

I think camera quality is a way overblown issue on the Moto X. It's fine for 95% of the smartphone buying public.

Posted via Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Well between my mate and I, we're 1 for 5 on Motorola working well. :p I know they are some of the best for radio reception though, or at least used to be.

They still are. Way better than HTC at least. Samsung is not bad either nor is Nokia but that's because they (Moto, Nokia, Samsung) have been in the cellphone business a long time.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
In my neck of the woods my HTC one gets better reception than the S3 but my daughters G2 is better than both...

Thinking about it now I don't think I've ever owned a Motorola device

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Motorola = Quality Devices

My moto g did a random shut down. This isn't an isolated incident either. Had some issues that warranted a replacement on my HTC devices too. Have not needed a warranty replacement on my Samsung devices.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze