Your Next

adamspt2

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Let me preface by saying I have a Nexus 5 right now. I do not need a new phone. But I want a new phone :) For my next phone, my biggest wants are better camera (though Nexus 5 has performed better than I thought it would) and much better camera (currently I don't even get through 15 hours of little use). But I'm having my usual problem of not being able to decide. What are your alls take on the below?

Nexus 6 - This was most likely going to be my next phone. However, I started to get the itch to get something a little more, what? high end? hardware robust? not exactly sure. And then comes the info that the Nexus program may be going away. So I've basically scratched this off.

Samsung 5 - Looks like a good phone. Decent battery, decent camera. Not a fan of the physical button. Not a fan of the Samsung interface.

HTC M8 - This probably would have been purchased several weeks ago except for the camera. I certainly don't feel like the camera is better than the Nexus 5 and in some cases might not be as good.

LG G3 - This is my latest phone of interest. I'm not sold on the size - I'll need to hold one to decide. I'm unsure about the camera and processor - seems like different sites are saying their good/great or awful. I'm not a big phone gamer so I can't imagine the 801 would cause any issue for me. Seem to be some conflicting stories about batter life though I have read good reviews about it (and still beta phones of course). Still probably my front runner.

Moto X+1 - This has me intrigued. I wasn't crazy about what I read about the MotoX camera though the battery sounds very good. Improvement in camera could make this a really good choice. But with no official word and the sale to Lenovo, will the X+1 be released and if so, anytime soon (say before fall).

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Let me preface by saying I have a Nexus 5 right now. I do not need a new phone. But I want a new phone :) For my next phone, my biggest wants are better camera (though Nexus 5 has performed better than I thought it would) and much better camera (currently I don't even get through 15 hours of little use). But I'm having my usual problem of not being able to decide. What are your alls take on the below?

Nexus 6 - This was most likely going to be my next phone. However, I started to get the itch to get something a little more, what? high end? hardware robust? not exactly sure. And then comes the info that the Nexus program may be going away. So I've basically scratched this off.

Samsung 5 - Looks like a good phone. Decent battery, decent camera. Not a fan of the physical button. Not a fan of the Samsung interface.

HTC M8 - This probably would have been purchased several weeks ago except for the camera. I certainly don't feel like the camera is better than the Nexus 5 and in some cases might not be as good.

LG G3 - This is my latest phone of interest. I'm not sold on the size - I'll need to hold one to decide. I'm unsure about the camera and processor - seems like different sites are saying their good/great or awful. I'm not a big phone gamer so I can't imagine the 801 would cause any issue for me. Seem to be some conflicting stories about batter life though I have read good reviews about it (and still beta phones of course). Still probably my front runner.

Moto X+1 - This has me intrigued. I wasn't crazy about what I read about the MotoX camera though the battery sounds very good. Improvement in camera could make this a really good choice. But with no official word and the sale to Lenovo, will the X+1 be released and if so, anytime soon (say before fall).

These are all good choices. Are you looking for anything specific? or just specs like CPU power, RAM, etc.?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm planning to get the M8 as my next phone, but I can see how that may not work for you vs. the G3 (I considered it for a short time too).

Camera comes down to what you want. Everyone harps on the M8's low pixel count and thus poor zoom quality, but the trade off is excellent low light ability and apparent killer microphone quality for video. The ufocus feature also looks cool to play with. The G3 has some nice features like optical image stabilization, and can record 720p @ 120fps if you'd like high speed video recording for slow motion shots in post editing. You may need special video editing software to do that, but it's not something I've ever messed with.

There isn't much difference processor speeds between the two, which may be a concern on the G3's QHD screen. I'm not sure if lag would show up simply watching a video. I do game, so that does sway my decision even more, but something you should look into I think.

If you plan to listen to anything on the phone directly, nothing beats front facing stereo speakers like on the M8. People are also saying the sound quality is unbeatable. The G3 may have good quality sound, but it's still just a single speaker on the back. Not sure if that's a consideration for you, so throwing it out there just in case.

Depending on the offerings available to you, the G3 can come with 3 GB of Ram, which is handy for longevity as apps become more memory intensive. The M8 is only available with 2 GB.

Not sure how those other phones compare, I've just considered these two and know more about how they stack up against each other.