Why are you staying on Android (vs iOS 8)?

KarlDag

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Android for about 18 months, came from an iPhone 4S (and 3GS). Started with a Nexus 4, and I now own a G2. I'm thinking about going back to the iPhone 6 and iOS 8, but I'm undecided.

I love android because:
- Vendor and shape choices. I love choices, although most of them have issues (Touchwiz for Samsung, LG UI for LG, bad cameras and poor availability in Canada for motorola for example).
- Better UI on select devices. By that I mean that I actually prefer the stock android look to iOS', but that's only available on the Moto X and Nexus 5. I've tried stock roms, they still don't have the same performance as real stock android, and not super stable).
- Battery Life - yup. Says it all.
- Upcoming AndroidTV and Cast protocol - My AppleTV is getting stale compared to AndroidTV's upcoming platform, and really needs an app store.
- Set default apps - Google Maps!!
- Better notifications system
- Google now integration

On the other hand, especially considering that most people I know have iPhones, I miss
- Smooth and consistent performance
- Timely updates
- More accessories (arm bands, cases, airplay enabled devices, etc)
- Better app stability
- IMessage being a standard on the platform, everyone uses it. I'll admit Hangouts is almost as good, but very few people use it, and those that do it's because I fought hard.
- Facetime
- Airplay availability - It really just works, it's embedded in various TV receivers and such products
- Broken devices support instore. Honestly that is a big one for me. My G2's screen is messed up right now, and if I want it fixed under warranty I have to send it in through my carrier, who says it's a 4-6 weeks wait time. They'll lend me a flipphone while I wait.. Seriously? They lend iphones to iphone owners!
- TouchID With 3rd party availability in iOS 8, I think this will be a really nice thing to have, making everything more secure (who wants to type in their code 10s of times each day?)

So yeah. Of course if the iPhone 6 comes out and disappoints I won't buy it, but if the rumors of bigger screen are true, on top of iOS 8's improvements... why do YOU prefer android?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
A few of the things you prefer about the iPhone can be remedied by a Nexus or close-to-stock device :)
I would love the have Hangouts be standard like iMessage is, but that isn't too big of an issue for me. I'm rarely without service while having WiFi so iMessage wouldn't help me there.

I still prefer the customizability of Android. On top of that, a few of the features introduced in iOS 7 and 8 are just butchered features that have been available on Android for several years. Like the quick settings in iOS 7...which can't be held to access the settings for that specific toggle. There's also less toggles in it.
Along that same vein, widgets. In iOS 8, they are limited to the notification shade, and even then the apps that support them are far less than on Android where basically every app supports them.

They have improved significantly in the past two years, but at least for me and a lot of others here, are still not good enough to replace Android as our main device OS.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Freedom, and productivity. No other smartphone OS offers the amount of ability Android does. I can share anything anywhere, and have apps like PushBullet that I can have my phone notifications directly on my laptop. The ability for apps to talk to each other and being able to have certain apps for certain actions is a deciding factor.

I know iOS 8 has some of this. But intents and defaults in Android only.

Posted via the Android Central App

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Without getting into too much details, this is why...

y2upe8ab.jpg

"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras." MacKenzie (The Newsroom, HBO)

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I will stay on Android, because I decide what I want my phone to look like, and how I use it.

While some flexibility is being introduced to ios, it is still very much locked down in just about every way. While some things works better, there isn't a better overall gain of real reasons to choose it anymore even if you have a mac desktop.

Android today isn't the same as 2 years ago, nor are the devices being produced and the differences are becoming more to personal preferences than anything else.

Posted via Android Central App from my HTC M8

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
The best thing to do is to wait for the iPhone 6 and iOS 8 to be released to the public. Play with it then make a decision. Everyone here have different reasons why they prefer Android which may not be important to you. I'm not a brand ***** and fortunate to own both Android and iOS devices and enjoy them.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon