11-03-2014 12:50 AM
32 12
tools
    How can I send and receive my Google voice text and mms messages threw google hangout.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    09-11-2014 12:41 PM
    This is very confusing. I got part way there, but it is cumbersome and confusing so I've gone back to the old way:

Make sure you have the newest version of hangouts (Sept 11, 2014)
    Open the hangouts app settings, touch SMS and set Hangouts as your default SMS
    Now you also need to go into the google voice app, check its settings, and tell it to receive texts via the messaging app, NOT Google Voice. This way, any text sent to your google voice will go to your messaging app, which now uses hangouts as your default.

That takes care of receiving, and one nice advantage is that your google voice text inbox and your regular phone SMS mesages are now consolidated into the hangouts inbox.

But I cannot figure out how to send texts from hangouts using my google voice number. It defaults to my phone's regular SMS number. Anybody figure this out yet?
    09-11-2014 09:37 PM
    The other thing I don't like is that in Hangouts, when you touch a contact, it defaults to sending them a hangouts message. If instead you want to send them an SMS, there are a couple of extra steps.
    I think this integration of Voice and Hangouts has a few iterations to go before it's easy to use. Today it is not ready.
    09-11-2014 09:51 PM
    KC - Having the same issue - sends through my Verizon number not google voice. Google support says there should be a setting for send SMS from, but I don't seem to have it.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-11-2014 10:37 PM
    There is a lot in this app that does not match the instructions in Google support. Hey, that's the IT world - ship it today, fix it next week. And the week after. Good thing they are not making auto brakes or prescription medicines.
    bgbagz likes this.
    09-11-2014 10:55 PM
    Is anyone having trouble with the hangouts dialer... I used twice today... and it worked.Then when i went to use it again and it would not dial out.. flashed a error screen so fast i could not read it.......
    09-12-2014 01:46 AM
    Yea I thought with the new update I was going to be able to send and receive google voice texts threw the app without making it my default

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    09-12-2014 02:52 PM
    I just returned to the Hangouts app, and, even though it didn't download an update, the missing features mentioned yesterday are now here. You can choose whether to send your text from GV or your SIM number, you can receive your texts in Hangouts. The dialer out works fine - I even went to airplane mode and just turned on WiFi to confirm that VOIP calling is working.

The only remaining problem is that, although GV Voicemail now appears in Hangouts, the voice messages themselves are not loading. The transcription is there but I cannot listen to the message. I'll bet that work soon as well.
    09-12-2014 05:09 PM
    Still looks like no mms through Google voice. That was really what all the voice users are looking for. Besides combining everything into one app, really didn't gain anything?
    09-12-2014 08:28 PM
    I don't know if they call it mms, but yes, I was able to use hangouts to send a text with attached picture from my Google voice number. The old GV did not allow this.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-12-2014 11:59 PM
    I don't know if they call it mms, but yes, I was able to use hangouts to send a text with attached picture from my Google voice number. The old GV did not allow this.

I wonder if it's a carrier thing. I have verizon and it is not working?
    09-13-2014 05:30 AM

What carrier was the recipient on? We can only receive MMS from Sprint or Tmo so probably can only send to them too.
    09-13-2014 08:53 AM
    I just returned to the Hangouts app, and, even though it didn't download an update, the missing features mentioned yesterday are now here. You can choose whether to send your text from GV or your SIM number, you can receive your texts in Hangouts. The dialer out works fine - I even went to airplane mode and just turned on WiFi to confirm that VOIP calling is working.

The only remaining problem is that, although GV Voicemail now appears in Hangouts, the voice messages themselves are not loading. The transcription is there but I cannot listen to the message. I'll bet that work soon as well.
    I just tested it and was able to receive and listen to my voice mail in hangouts just fine (was also received in the google voice app strangely). The transcription was pretty awful as usual. Hope they integrate google voice to speech tech soon.
    09-13-2014 08:58 AM
    I did it att to att. Have not tried others. It could still be this gradual roll out. I still can't play my GV voicemail messages in hangouts even though they are showing up on the message list.

09-13-2014 09:01 AM
    This is very confusing. I got part way there, but it is cumbersome and confusing so I've gone back to the old way:

Make sure you have the newest version of hangouts (Sept 11, 2014)
    Open the hangouts app settings, touch SMS and set Hangouts as your default SMS
    Now you also need to go into the google voice app, check its settings, and tell it to receive texts via the messaging app, NOT Google Voice. This way, any text sent to your google voice will go to your messaging app, which now uses hangouts as your default.

That takes care of receiving, and one nice advantage is that your google voice text inbox and your regular phone SMS mesages are now consolidated into the hangouts inbox.

But I cannot figure out how to send texts from hangouts using my google voice number. It defaults to my phone's regular SMS number. Anybody figure this out yet?
    Someone just gave this tip to me in a other thread. Go to settings in hangouts, select sms, then you'll see a "send sms from" option. You can choose from your carrier, Google voice, or use last number used".

LFD153 likes this.
    09-13-2014 09:03 AM
    I still can't play my GV voicemail messages in hangouts even though they are showing up on the message list.

Did you get the update to 2.3? You said earlier you didn't download an update. Look for the update.
    09-13-2014 09:03 AM
    Someone just gave this tip to me in a other thread. Go to settings in hangouts, select sms, then you'll see a "send sms from" option. You can choose from your carrier, Google voice, or use last number used".

The "last number used" option is good but would still be nice to get to change it on a per message basis when I need to.
    09-13-2014 09:04 AM
    The "last number used" option is good but would still be nice to get to change it on a per message basis when I need to.
    Yeah, that's the option I was hoping for too.

09-13-2014 09:18 AM
    I did it att to att. Have not tried others. It could still be this gradual roll out.
    And how did they receive it? I sent a message to an att number from my google voice number. They received an SMS with a link to view the photo.
    09-13-2014 09:35 AM
    And how did they receive it? I sent a message to an att number from my google voice number. They received an SMS with a link to view the photo.
    Just sent a pic from Google voice to a T-Mobile number. Got a link also.

09-13-2014 10:13 AM
    I had somebody on verizon send me a pic text from verizon to my GV number and I got nothing, no notification nothing on any of my devices
    09-13-2014 10:58 AM
    Did you get the update to 2.3? You said earlier you didn't download an update. Look for the update.
    Yes, it's 2.3. The functionality seems to be coming in waves without another update. Must be at Google's end.

09-13-2014 11:32 AM
    Yes a link.

09-13-2014 11:33 AM
    I was able to send a pic to a verizon phone and they got a link, but I have yet to receive an MMS through hangouts
    09-13-2014 02:10 PM
    I was able to send a pic to a verizon phone and they got a link, but I have yet to receive an MMS through hangouts
    Yes, it seems hangouts will receive mms to my SIM number, but not to my GV number. I'm starting to wonder why I ever started on gv.

09-13-2014 03:30 PM
32 12