Is browser consuming data when you do not touch it?

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I visited some website on the android browser. Then I leave the browser and website on, left the phone on the table untouched and went for lunch for 2 hours.

Is the website/browser consuming data during the 2 hour lunch?

If yes, how do I prevent unnecessary data wastage?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It should not be using data. Even if you were on a website like YouTube and a video was playing, it should immediately pause when you put the phone to sleep.

If you are concerned about background data usage, you could go to Settings>Wireless & Networks>Data Usage, select an app in that list, and check Restrict Background Data.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
What does put the phone to sleep mean? How to put the phone to sleep?

If I am not using the phone for example more than 1 min, is it automatically put to sleep?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When the screen turns off, the phone is asleep. That can happen if you tap the Power button to shut the screen off (not the whole phone), or automatically, depending on the display sleep interval (which you can set in Settings>Display).

When a phone is asleep, it can still receive calls and messages and alert you to them, or alert you of upcoming events. The screen isn't on (which saves energy), and no apps are running in the foreground.