Limiting traffic/bandwidth to Asus tablets

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not...

We purchased a couple of Asus MeMo Pad 7s for the kids for Christmas. They seem like excellent devices and the kids are happy but their near constant viewing of HD videos on YouTube is causing problems for other devices around the house. We have a VDSL connection with decent enough speeds but their streaming is still causing bottlenecks. At present, I'm using the BT HomeHub 5 router which is a bit light on advanced features so I'm unable to prioritise devices or limit speed. Is there any way in the YouTube app settings on the tablets to permanently choose lower quality videos? I can lower the quality on a per video basis which isn't very convenient and I can't rely on the kids changing the settings so I was wondering if there was another way?

Also, I've noticed that the wifi signal on the devices isn't very good. We got them both covers to help keep the devices in one piece so I wondered if they were perhaps interfering with the signal but even after removing them, the signal is very poor unless very close to the router. Has anyone else noticed this on these particular tablets please?

Thanks for any help.