Cellspot router?

Kavan Sidhu

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I got a linksys ea6300 gigabit router at staples for 95 dollars. Still have few days to return it.

Today I went to tmobile store. Never knew about the cellspot. First time hearing about it. Same as you guys talk about here.

This is the T-Mobile Personal CellSpot | Android Central

They said no more deposit and it was free. No pay to keep it. I took the free option. I will have to give it back at some point if we cancel tmobile. But in 1 year my linksys will be outdated and replaced with something else. I like the guest login feature for the wifi. But otherwise not worth keeping probably. Unless we give this back and then I have no router. But by then there will something better.

I'm debating weather return the linksys and keep this. Or maybe I can piggy back off the first router and use this as a second router. But he said that might cause problems. Or use this as the main and disable the dhcp on the other one and make that like my seond router or extender. My reception in the basement is nothing. Sometimes zero. So I would really like to use tihs.

I don't even have to use the wifi just plug it in to my modem and it improves reception he said. But as a standalone. If I already have a router then this might not work.

Or can I keep the current router and still use this somehow.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Use the CellSpot as your primary router, and then the Linksys as an extender or repeater in the basement. If the Linksys doesn't have an extender function, then you could consider getting a cheap PowerLine adapter, which would make your electrical outlets essentially into Ethernet ports. You could then connect the Linksys router via Ethernet in the basement and set it up as an access point. PowerLine adapters are getting pretty cheap these days--you can find a pair of them for around $40-50 on some sites like TigerDirect or Rakuten.com.

Kavan Sidhu

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I was not getting any replies here so I asked on another forum. Here is what I decided.

I got the linksys on the 5th of match. So its been less than the 14 days they have so I took it back. I got the router yesterday from tmobile so I never knew about it but st staples took it back no issues.

Here is what happened.got comcast on the second of march. Uverse router needed resetting every 2 days. So this is better. But the default infinity gateway sucks. But as we have phone service with them also we can't just get a plain modem. And they stopped selling telephony modems at bestbuy. So we have to use the gateway. But wifi sucks and is no good. So they let you put it in bridge mode and that disables the wifi. The 17mb was with the linksys. The xfinity gateway was horrible never any distance. And sometimes no connect at all. Or connect and then drop. So use your own router is the best.

But the asus is awesome. It opened setpup page right away. Linksys had headaches and few phone calls to tech support. My browser won't let me open 192.168.1.1.

And asus opened up right away. Only thing is I like the guest feature on the linksys but i can live without it.

And reception is awesome. On the asus in my basement in 2.4ghz wifi I get 30mb. And we only pay for 25mb so awesome.

Only problem is my samsung nprv-515 a01us laptop only shows 2.4ghz and not 5ghz. My dads macvbook pro shows 5 and 2.4. Not sure why.

Oh and I have 2 of these already if I need extenders.

300Mbps Universal WiFi Range Extender TL-WA850RE - Welcome to TP-LINK

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad you got things working to your satisfaction! I'm in a similar situation--I have Xfinity Comcast for internet, voice, and TV. I bought an Arris modem/router combination off of eBay (it's annoying how few combination modem/routers are available with telephony), and found that its wi-fi signal is relatively weak. On top of that, this particular model seems plagued by random shutdowns of the wi-fi module, requiring a reboot through the settings. So I primarily use it as a wired router, with one Ethernet connection to my desktop, and another Ethernet connection to a Powerline adapter. Then, as I mentioned before, I have a better D-Link router set up in my living room, connected to another Powerline adapter on a wall outlet.

Are you sure your Samsung laptop has dual band wi-fi capability? Older laptops generally don't, but I don't know how old or new yours is.

Kavan Sidhu

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Got the samsung in the summer 2011 like 1 month after they released it. New at the time. But my mac mini and my dads macbook pro both 2011 show 5gbz also. Mac didn't have dual band back then I believe. But I may be wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463