Samsung Galaxy S4 Active Replacement

SalaG

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I dropped my S4 Active on the pavement from 3 feet, it fell on the corner and the screen glass broke. Previously it died when I put it in water and it was replaced by AT&T. So much for rugged and 'life proof'. I hated the phone for most of its life, the Samsung software/bloatware was beyond annoying and despite the better hardware specs than iPhones, Samsung phones punch below their weight due to CPU and battery hogging apps and software. I'm considering going back to the iPhone (6 or plus), but really like the Android system. What I'm looking for:

* I don't want to get the most feature rich, latest high end phone necessarily
* minimal bloatware
* very fast/snappy web browsing
* decent camera that launches very fast (I am a photography enthusiast and own several high end cameras including a great pocket camera)
* somewhat rugged (not cheap plasticky fragile bodies like Samsung), water resistance would be great
* long battery life

There are just too many options!
I don't want Samsung due to the bloatware although many might recommend the Note (best camera and battery) or the S5/S6. I've considered Motorola, HTC, Sony, LG, Nexus.
Any recommendations?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I love my Nexus 5, but its main weakness is its very mediocre battery. The camera is actually excellent in my opinion--don't believe anyone who pooh-poohs it. I've taken some spectacular shots in not the best conditions. But it isn't waterproof, and it's not exactly rugged (although you should be using a case anyway).

The Sony Z series would be worth considering--good camera, good water resistance, generally excellent performance and relatively lightweight Sony skin. But my concern for Sony has always been the relatively poor support in terms of updates (and the looming question of whether Sony will even remain in the mobile business).

You could probably do well with the Moto X--even the 2013 version, if you don't need the latest and greatest. But I've heard complaints about the camera being somewhat mediocre. Still, many people consider the Moto X one of the best overall devices.

The HTC One has a fair amount of bloatware, so you may want to shy away from it. Not entirely sure about the G2 or G3.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia