Can anyone identify this spider?

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Snapped this picture this morning with my Note 4. This is the strangest looking spider I have ever seen. Lots of different bugs around now after all the rain we've had here in south Texas. Does anyone have any idea what kind of spider this is?

Posted via the Android Central App on my Note 4

Attachments

• 20150705_090020-1.jpg
    20150705_090020-1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
That's a creepy looking spider...Let us know if you find out what kind it is, especially if it's one to stay away from.

Have you tried inserting the image into a Google search bar and see if that is able to identify the type of Spider?

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Edit: The yellow is the top of the spider; the brown is the belly of the spider. Could not add picture to original post.

Attachments

• 20150705_105606-1.jpg
    20150705_105606-1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 60
  • 20150705_090020-1.jpg
    20150705_090020-1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 47

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
That's a creepy looking spider...Let us know if you find out what kind it is, especially if it's one to stay away from.

Have you tried inserting the image into a Google search bar and see if that is able to identify the type of Spider?

I keyed in the description of the spider, and found a matching picture. Evidently, it is the Spiny Orbweb Spider.

The description said that the bite of this spider is not known to cause serious effects to humans. It also said they are most commonly encountered in citrus groves, but there are no groves in my residential area, just a lemon tree here or there scattered throughout the neighborhood.

Still a scary looking creature to me though. 😯

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I keyed in the description of the spider, and found a matching picture. Evidently, it is the Spiny Orbweb Spider.

The description said that the bite of this spider is not known to cause serious effects to humans. It also said they are most commonly encountered in citrus groves, but there are no groves in my residential area, just a lemon tree here or there scattered throughout the neighborhood.

Still a scary looking creature to me though. ??????

Yes, definitely a scary looking creature. Nice shot, btw.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Still a scary looking creature to me though. 😯

Yes, definitely a scary looking creature. Nice shot, btw.

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
If they are most common in citrus groves, and you have none in your area, it could have arrived via produce that you bought at the market. Spiders in produce is more common than you think!

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
If they are most common in citrus groves, and you have none in your area, it could have arrived via produce that you bought at the market. Spiders in produce is more common than you think!

Lol, kinda scary driving home with a creepy spider in my grocery bag. I guess I would prefer to think it was in a neighbor's bag and crawled over here. 😁

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20