why do you continue buying a carrier phone when they no longer subsidized?

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Before it make sense since you are paying $200 for the phone and contract for two years, but now all US carriers removed that, so why are you still buying US carrier phone (and not the international version)?

Carrier phone is the worst, plenty of bloatware and most important thing, is LOCKED. you are paying full price and yet, you have to BEG carrier to unlock it. Yes, now the process is easier but STILL, you have to put a request.

International version is unlocked straight out of the box, you don't need to request it.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Before it make sense since you are paying $200 for the phone and contract for two years, but now all US carriers removed that, so why are you still buying US carrier phone (and not the international version)?

Carrier phone is the worst, plenty of bloatware and most important thing, is LOCKED. you are paying full price and yet, you have to BEG carrier to unlock it. Yes, now the process is easier but STILL, you have to put a request.

International version is unlocked straight out of the box, you don't need to request it.

Carriers charge you zero percent interest. Its easier to swallow a 600 dollar payment over 24 months by doing so. The phones sold by carriers are unlocked after they are paid off and they are required to do so by U.S. law. Most people do not have the cash flow to pay 600 dollars up front and unless you have a promotion on your credit card, the interest charges hurt.

lifeisablog

Banned
Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
I always buy unlocked phones. I use the Blu studio phones. Right now I have the Blu 7.0 Version 2 and I love it. I never will buy a locked phone. Let's see... 800 bucks for a name brand phone and locked to a carrier or 130 which I paid for line on eBay, unlocked for GSM and international and it's faster than my note 4 was.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bodeanicus

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
It's a common misconception that you paid $200 for a phone on contract. No. That $200 was a down payment on a 2 year loan for that phone. The remaining balance is split up into 20 or more monthly payments. That's why there is an early termination "fee." You're paying off the rest of the balance of the cost of the phone.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Consumers are still buying from carriers because they really don't know what their options are and what the actual costs of the phone will be over the course of the agreement. Paying $200 upfront seems like a good buy especially since the consumer may not plan on going anywhere else within those two (2) years; however, the actual costs of the phone will be a lot more than buying off-contract. Aside from the early termination mentioned above, most carriers tack on an additional fee to the service plan for not bringing your own device.

If you are a consumer reading Android Central then you are more likely to know what your options are and what really makes sense from a financial standpoint.

yarddawg

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I do it because Verizon is covering the cost of the phone AND paying me $5.00 every month for my phone and another $5.00 every month for my wife's phone. (Both LG G4's) Right now, I am loving this new edge plan from Verizon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz