Moto X Style / Pure, G4 or Note 4.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
OK I'm finally close to replacing my Moto G 2013, used solely for 6 months, following 18 months with a Note 3.

These 3 are now at great prices NIB unlocked in the UK. (£300 - 360).

Would it be crazy going for a Note 4 after around 16 months on the market?
It now comes with 5.1 here, iirc. Marshmallow would probably be the last major update.
It would possibly be the one I would enjoy most.

I'm also coming around to the fantastic value (£300) and ability of the G4, the removables, the camera and all the plus points after re-reading many blogs and reviews. I don't mind it's been out 8 months or so, and I can adapt or get to like the UI after 3 years of my preferred Touchwiz UI.

The Moto X Style fills all the boxes as a massive upgrade over the Moto G1 and it's now geriatric SD400. So I have been in the close to stock Android camp as well, use Google apps more, and it's logically the first choice.
I just think it may become a bigger less sluggish G1 and lack a wow factor.

(bear in mind, buying outright independently of a sim plan or carrier in the UK, doesn't encourage me to change my mind and deal with returns here, too much hassle, so I want to get it right)

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Can this be moved to General Help and How To.
I think I walked through the wrong door.

Or you are welcome to delete the thread, Moderators.

These comparison requests have probably been done to death anyway, and I'm good. :)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey Madd, I was in your position few months ago and decided to retire my Moto G 2013 for the X Play. Battery life, dual SIM and price were the main reasons. In your case I would go for the Moto X Style without a second thought :) It's already running Marshmallow and most reports are very positive. And you'll really enjoy Moto Display and Actions.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey Madd, I was in your position few months ago and decided to retire my Moto G 2013 for the X Play. Battery life, dual SIM and price were the main reasons. In your case I would go for the Moto X Style without a second thought :) It's already running Marshmallow and most reports are very positive. And you'll really enjoy Moto Display and Actions.
Yes. The Moto X Style would have been my only choice since it was released (£349 - 369).
I have just been seeing what I can also get for the same money and realised recently how good the G4 (£300-309) is again thanks to the blogs and comparisons on AC.
The Note 4 is still a little pricey but available from Amazon direct and it's still tempting - I can't help it :)

I realise the screen on the X Style is miles superior to the Moto G1, my first priority, let alone specs and front speakers etc.

The S6 is also within range, but it's still a little too small to be a semi tablet browser, and that battery needs extra chargers.

I saw you have a Moto X Play and like many it works OK. I was aiming for that too, but at its £229 - 269 though I could trade in my G1 for £43 and get an opened but NIB/grade a Moto X Style at our exchange chain CEX stores here for 299 leaving £256 for a still new X Style.

Probably an X Style then,

- or a G4 :) or a Z5 with its hi res audio and camera and IP68 and smaller triluminous screen :)

My 2nd job payment is delayed every day but if I can order in time for Christmas I will dive in.

I wish you and yours a Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and thanks for your regular help.

Madd (as in crazy) :D

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The G4 is certainly a fantastic phone, but I'd suggest visiting the G4 sub form on here and read up elsewhere online. Marshmallow is starting to roll out on some versions and the feedback has been mixed. I've seen a lot of reports of horrible battery life, but not really enough to say it's a huge problem yet. For what it's worth, it does seem easy to block OTA updates on the phone without rooting. Which I've done on mine until I see how the Verizon reviews are when it comes out. If you get it, I'd suggest you do the same as well until you decide if you want to update.

I can't really say how it compares to the other phones performance wise. It just ticks most of the boxes for me. Removable battery, sd card support, non-AMOLED screen, and one of the best cameras in a smartphone. The only thing it doesn't have that one want is front facing stereo speakers, but the one it does have is very loud and clear.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The G4 is certainly a fantastic phone, but I'd suggest visiting the G4 sub form on here and read up elsewhere online. Marshmallow is starting to roll out on some versions and the feedback has been mixed. I've seen a lot of reports of horrible battery life, but not really enough to say it's a huge problem yet. For what it's worth, it does seem easy to block OTA updates on the phone without rooting. Which I've done on mine until I see how the Verizon reviews are when it comes out. If you get it, I'd suggest you do the same as well until you decide if you want to update.

I can't really say how it compares to the other phones performance wise. It just ticks most of the boxes for me. Removable battery, sd card support, non-AMOLED screen, and one of the best cameras in a smartphone. The only thing it doesn't have that one want is front facing stereo speakers, but the one it does have is very loud and clear.
Thanks for that. The G4 situation has Deja Vu written all over it. I hope it's only temporary for most owners, but yeh yet again I would prefer to stick to an OS that works for my device.
Samsung's owners were hard hit by many updates of course, and some were fine with them.

I'll keep an eye on how the UK unlocked batch fare, but right now it wouldn't put me off the G4 too much partly as I wouldn't have it long enough to mind resetting once or twice (not that this will always help).
Dual speakers would be nice but what I haven't experienced...

The G4 is only £300 and is such a steal.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that. The G4 situation has Deja Vu written all over it. I hope it's only temporary for most owners, but yeh yet again I would prefer to stick to an OS that works for my device.

I've had so many issues with updates from my carrier that I guess I'm just used to it and pretty much expect it (but they have the best coverage). I sometimes joke each update is better than the next. XD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21