Off topic... anyone in here familiar with i495 aka LIE?

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone familiar with traffic patterns on the LIE going toward eastern LI. See I have to drive out there atleast 2 times a week and traffic always turns what should be a 30 minute drive into a 2+ hour drive. Keep in mind that I am driving a truck so 495 is my only option. Is mornings best? Or is nigt time best.
Thanks

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Anyone familiar with traffic patterns on the LIE going toward eastern LI. See I have to drive out there atleast 2 times a week and traffic always turns what should be a 30 minute drive into a 2+ hour drive. Keep in mind that I am driving a truck so 495 is my only option. Is mornings best? Or is nigt time best.
Thanks

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Between those two time frame might work out in your favor. It's really hard to give a specific time which would consider to be - 'the right time', plus {495} is usually crowded most of the time. Too much traffic and no space to drive.
-
Good luck.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Having driven on the LIE a few times myself, I think I've found the only solution to your problem.
eh7.jpg

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Where are you starting from and going to? What type of truck are you driving?. It might be easier to take Sunrise highway if your starting out near the south shore and don't need to get to the north shore. Seaford Oyster Bay Parkway allows Semi Trucks. So you can cut across once you get past certain points. Route 25 is pretty straight through and puts you between the South and North Shores. Again depends how far out on the LIE your going.
I travel out to Riverside, Montauk and Calverton. I hop on and off the expressway.

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Where are you starting from and going to? What type of truck are you driving?. It might be easier to take Sunrise highway if your starting out near the south shore and don't need to get to the north shore. Seaford Oyster Bay Parkway allows Semi Trucks. So you can cut across once you get past certain points. Route 25 is pretty straight through and puts you between the South and North Shores. Again depends how far out on the LIE your going.
I travel out to Riverside, Montauk and Calverton. I hop on and off the expressway.

its never one particular city on LI, but i usually get on via 278 coming in from SI or i get on from the midtown tunnel in manhattan. I am usually driving a sprinter (the large mercedes cargo van) or a 16' box truck, both have commercial plates. I believe i have taken the sunrise highway before, just not too familiar with how to get to it. typically i usually go down the LIE to about exit 50something or 40something, on the rare occasion that i have to go farther it's rarely a problem because traffic usually moves freely after a certain point. it's just a matter of getting to that point which kills so much time.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
07:00-10:00 is jammed no matter what you take going west. 16:00-19:00 is jammed going east. Roughly those times; but, those are your main concerns. Anything in between your usually good.

Sunrise turns into an expressway when you get further out east an exit or so into Suffolk County. It's usually the lest crowded IMO. If you were driving a car I could give you a better idea of what to take; but, as far as a truck: those are going to be your timee for 495.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non