07-19-2019 05:48 AM
45 12
tools
    Hi all. How often does everyone upgrade their phone? My first touch screen phone was a Nokia Lumia 520. It eventually stopped functioning so I got a Samsung Galaxy S5 which I am still using. It is still running perfectly so I am not tempted to replace it. I will consider the Note 8 next year which will make it 3 yrs before I upgrade.

Personally, I consider it a complete waste of money to replace a perfectly good phone every year or 2 just to get the latest model. In my case, if I do replace at 3 yrs and my S5 is still running well, I won't be supported with the latest operating system or security patches. And I am not prepared to root my phone. I am just not that confident to do that.

The other thing too is that each new model of phone usually has only incremental upgrades of features. Which I understand. You can't make each new phone a major upgrade every time, it is just not technically possible. So in my case, by leaving my next phone to at least 3 yrs, I look forward to having a big improvement of features from my last phone. I personally think that 3 yrs is minimum before you get significantly improved upgrades.

I will go from Snapdragon 801 to 821/830, from 2MP front camera to 5/8MP, from f2. 4 aperture to better than f1. 9, from a swipe fingerprint reader to a much improved press and hold reader plus iris scanner (assuming another Samsung) and on and on. So this is another reason why for me, 3 yrs is a minimum.

What about everyone else?
    09-10-2016 09:04 PM
    Over the last 3 years I've purchased a new smartphone about every 6-9 months. Not that expensive since I usually buy a Nexus about a year after release and sell one of my old phones. Currently switching between Nexus 6 and 5x as daily driver. I'll probably get the 6p in a few months when price drops and keep the 5x or 6 as a backup.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-10-2016 09:21 PM
    I Upgrade a new version of the phone I'm using, Note2, Note3, Note4, Note5, and now Note7.
    09-11-2016 04:50 PM
    It depends. The earliest I've replaced a phone was 6 months. The longest without replacing a phone was 3 years.
    Sam_Gs7 and libra89 like this.
    09-11-2016 06:22 PM
    Often. For me it isn't a waste. I sell my old phones. Someone gets a phone new to them at a discount and I get to recycle and money towards my next phone. Win win.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-11-2016 06:36 PM
    My rule is : I won't change phone until either "Lost it or Dropped" and as result
    it become useless. My 1st phone was a Samsung Galaxy..GT-17500 in 2009

One time I got ready to leave the Parking-building and Stepped out from the
    car..To check a tire. I put the phone on the Car roof and left. I realised
    missed the phone 5-Blocks away that happened in Mid 2013

In July 2013 had a Sam-Gs4: I lost it when got drunk in a Pub. I went to washroom and
    checked a msge. Put the phone beside the Sink and left. Do am I careless user-Hehe!

The next-1 was SGs5: This one Started to slowdown and didn't get anymore Updates.
    So I traded this year-2016 for a Mint SGs7. It works great..Keep it Up SAM-Gs7
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-11-2016 07:59 PM
    So far, I haven't had any phone for more than a year, but each phone has had a major upgrade in one way or another to justify it. This year into next will be interesting. For now, I can see myself with this phone for the rest of the year possibly.
    Sam_Gs7 and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-11-2016 09:24 PM
    Great thread, OP! I'd say I usually upgrade every year and a half (or every 14 months... It varies). I try to stick to last year's flagship or look for a phone that's $0 so I'll be economizing in some way.

I don't see the need to have the latest and greatest, but I may keep an eye on specific flagships and if I really like them, I'll wait for them to drop in price and then consider grabbing them.
    09-14-2016 05:20 PM
    Shortest = 35 days
    Longest = 5 years
    Morty2264 and libra89 like this.
    09-15-2016 12:47 AM
    Once a year.
    Carlo Villa likes this.
    09-21-2016 12:33 PM
    i upgrade usually about every 3 years or every 2 generations
    09-21-2016 05:00 PM
    Every year. I have 2 accounts. Mine and my son's. When I upgrade he gets the older of the 2 phones.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-26-2016 11:15 PM
    Every year. I have 2 accounts. Mine and my son's. When I upgrade he gets the older of the 2 phones.
    That sounds like a good trade-off!
    11-03-2016 08:41 PM
    Yearly !

I'm spoiled haaaa !!
    11-03-2016 08:54 PM
    For my last three phones, it's been once a year.
    11-10-2016 08:41 PM
    I must have the latest and greatest of the device I use, so once a year 😊
    11-11-2016 01:50 PM
    Every two years. But this year will be the first time that I won't upgrade. I'm not really into the pixels so I'm holding on to my Nexus 6 awhile longer.
    11-14-2016 08:40 PM
    In the past I would upgrade every year but now, due to better spending on my part, I upgrade when I feel the need to do so..
    So far, I have been having the same device for over 2 years! The longest I have ever held on to a phone which is the HTC M8.. I cant get rid of it and I still compare this phone to every high-end release out there! The most recent devices doesn't seem like a major upgrade IMO and the price is way higher than it used to be!
    libra89 likes this.
    11-15-2016 10:19 AM
    I plan on upgrading to the V200. It's going to be just my 2nd "smartphone." I've had a G3 for nearly 3 years now and it's doing me well. My previous phones that I used throughout middle school and high school (dumb phones) I usually upgraded every 2 or 3 years as well just because the phones were dirt cheap and got (very) boring after 2 or 3 years (they couldn't do anything except my last phone before this one which had a music player built in). Plus I was on my dad's plan so I didn't have to work about paying anything!
    12-15-2016 01:12 AM
    I try to keep a device for about 3 years. But my last two have been only a year.
    12-18-2016 09:21 AM
    Oh, to add to my previous comment, I'll also upgrade if my phone breaks or has issues... Like right now! Lol. Although this still coincides with my "once a year" trend. Hopefully the phone I'm getting will actually last two years, because now that I am trying to adult, I feel like my funds need to go towards more important things... .
    12-18-2016 09:23 AM
    Unless I have to get a new phone, I normally replace every twelve months when my contract is up. I normally pick up a Moto G alongside my main handset though, I sometimes have to work on site and I don't like taking my main phone with me.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    12-18-2016 09:41 AM
    I used to do about 2 years, unless I found a deal on new.

I went from the Motorola E815 to the RAZR V3c rather quickly since there was a loophole where prepaid could be used on postpaid and it was cheap way to go to RAZR.

2 years on the original DROID. 2 years on the DROID Bionic. 2 years on the first gen Moto X.

But then only 11 months on the third gen Moto X Pure Edition, which got replaced by the Moto Z Force Droid as the daily driver.
    12-18-2016 09:48 AM
    I buy new phones the same way I buy computers. My replacment schedule depends on computing needs. I stick with companies that provide good long term support for OS upgrades and security patches. When that stops I usually root and run a custom rom for a bit. At that point I usually end up upgrading within six months. I always buy outright and preferrably unlocked. Which thankfully is becoming easier these days. Multiple carrier compatibility is also a factor. Having to buy a new phone if you switch carriers is insane to me. In my early adpotion of smartphones I bounced around between the different OSs. I seem to have landed in the Android camp for the long haul. I do not understand complaints about rising phone prices. There has never been such a thing as a free phone. Before you argue with me read your cell phone contract first in detail then compare your pricing plan to what is available today. Trade in deals can be great. Selling your old phone on the open market is usually better. Anyways that is how I do it. Great post.
    12-18-2016 10:46 AM
    It is interesting reading this thread. It would seem that most of the posters are "users" rather than "enthusiasts". In the 6 years and 4 months since my first Android phone I have had 21 phones (1 Symbian, 4 Windows, the rest good old Android). I also usually have 2 devices at one time (sometimes more sometimes less). And yes, I carry two around with me at the same time. Currently I have an Honor 8 (for 1 week) and a GS7E (for 4 months). I suppose I am more interested in the devices rather than using the devices, if you see what I mean.
    01-11-2017 01:33 AM
45 12