Apple getting rid of the lightning port

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Wireless charging is less efficient than wired meaning lots of wasted energy as heat. Just let the environmentalists catch wind of this. Lol

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Wireless charging is less efficient than wired meaning lots of wasted energy as heat. Just let the environmentalists catch wind of this. Lol

nothing would happen. think how much is lost between the power plant and you. Actually I wasted too much energy when I was using wire. too much time trying to plug it in, unplug it and the stress of forgetting to plug it in. wireless saved a lot of my energy :) so there is a balance

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
nothing would happen. think how much is lost between the power plant and you. Actually I wasted too much energy when I was using wire. too much time trying to plug it in, unplug it and the stress of forgetting to plug it in. wireless saved a lot of my energy :) so there is a balance
That power line loss happens regardless of if you use wired or wireless, so that's a moot point. As for forgetting to plug in, I've never had that issue. It helps if you turn on the setting to show the percentage in the notification bar.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
That power line loss happens regardless of if you use wired or wireless, so that's a moot point. As for forgetting to plug in, I've never had that issue. It helps if you turn on the setting to show the percentage in the notification bar.

Exactly.
I see this as a boneheaded move if true. Battery life, while vastly improved by Apple, isn’t a week or something where you wouldn’t have to worry about charging that often. Definitely not something I’m buying into.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, or the sales of any other BT headphones/earbuds.
To echo a little what I said to @TgeekB, that was meant to be sarcasm and cynicism. Why provide headphones in the box when you can charge a premium for your own wireless ones?

Or better yet: Start combining the 2 in the same box, and raise the price by the amount of the buds?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
To echo a little what I said to @TgeekB, that was meant to be sarcasm and cynicism. Why provide headphones in the box when you can charge a premium for your own wireless ones?

Or better yet: Start combining the 2 in the same box, and raise the price by the amount of the buds?
Knowing Apple, they will lock it down so only their buds work with the phone, and no other headsets/buds. Then sell them bundled, but increase the price by the cost of the buds plus an extra 20% since it's either their way or the highway.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Knowing Apple, they will lock it down so only their buds work with the phone, and no other headsets/buds. Then sell them bundled, but increase the price by the cost of the buds plus an extra 20% since it's either their way or the highway.
Well, Apple's airpod chip has been reverse engineered and cloned by the Chinese...

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The problem with AirPods just like any other Apple product, is if you use it with Android or any non-apple device, it'll function but not fully function. That's the lockdown closed off ecosystem.

Ahrix KyukoWolf

Dec 12, 2019
Visit site
When Apple took out the headphone jack from the iPhone X that was bound to get people worried but when you decide to take away something so vital like a charging port, then you might be screwed if you have that new upcoming iPhone because if you had both and one way of charging fails, then you have the other way, but when you have a not so normal and 100% certain way to charge the device (hint the new iPhone) and no headphone jack of any sort. Then that means its more or less a brick with crappier specs and that piece of garbage belongs in the iTrash XD
I would just consider moving to android and I mean I've always been an android user, my cousin had me try her iPhone out and I honestly don't like it. It doesn't seem right to me.

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Why would they do this? I feel like a lot of people still like to charge in the car and I don't have a wireless charger there. Unless it's built into the car, most wireless charger holders for the car are not my thing. To be honest I only use wireless charging at night, otherwise I'm always plugging into a power bank or my car. It's not really convenient to be using a wireless charger if using the phone at the same time either.

Agreed and not only that, but if I'm somewhere w/o access to a wall plug for an extended period, then I wouldn't just need a battery pack and a cable, but a wireless charger as well.

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Aargh! Everyone does tend to follow Apple's lead on this type of stuff. I see it as a move to force people to buy chargers. I already have a large variety of cables and USB C charge blocks, making it so that I can leave them in strategic places and not have to carry around a pile of crap along with my phone. Wireless chargers will just not be as convenient in places like airplanes, or on transit, or when simply needing a quick top up while eating lunch at a crowded restaurant.

Tony Vargas

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
That's just not convenient. What about people who need to charge in their car? Gonna need Gonna need several wireless charges then. And what about Apple Car Play? How would you connect?

bonedatt

May 6, 2013
Visit site
It's unfortunate, but at the end of the day, we'll buy whatever the manufacturers give us and we'll find a way to adapt. Let's stop pretending like we have a say in this. iOS users don't have any other option as Apple is the only manufacturer that uses that OS. Android users may have options but really, how many Samsung users will switch to a Huawei, LG, hTc, Xiaomi, Oneplus, Motorola, Nokia, Oppo, Google, Sony, or Asus device or vice versa? Brand loyalty is real. It's stupid but it's a thing, and when your favorite brand doesn't provide what you want, you make excuses for them and then guess what... You adapt!