Sometimes, as in this instance, I feel so awkward.

Not sure why exactly, but, it has just dawned on me. From an employee perspective, there is no law or employee handbook ruling that says you must have your work email on your smartphone.

Why do we subject ourselves by having work email on our smartphones? Even more so, when certain companies do not pay a phone allowance.

My career is in IT, and well, I just presumed it came naturally to have my work email on my phone.

Over the past few months, there has been a change afoot, at work. And, well, it is causing me to pay even closer attention to things. In addition to now asking the question about work email on any personal device.

Thoughts
    03-10-2020 07:54 AM
    not sure what you are wanting. it is your choice whether or not to have work email on your phone. though I do check my work email every once in a while while at home and only if I am expecting something, for the most part, if they want to ask me something, they have my regular email address or they can call. when I do check, it is on a pc - never phone. years ago, I did get emails on my phone. but got tired of the stress it brought with it - especially some of the bad news I got. When I stopped, it was like suffering withdrawal for a few days but I don't miss it now.

a bit of being off topic - what I have to laugh at is recently they are requiring 2 factor authentication if you want to check your email or access the company benefits portal at home. however, part of the setup requires the phone in hand. the problem is, where I work, it is against company policy to have cell phones in the building.
    03-10-2020 04:55 PM
    I think it's a personal choice, and no one answer fits everyone. Work email on a personal phone is not a "one size fits all" kind of thing; a lot depends on the job, the situation, location, type of work, etc. With my previous job that I had the past 12 years I was in an office and had multiple computers surrounding me all day, including my company issues work laptop. My job was 50% e-mail, some days in the hundreds of messages per day. I didn't want my email on my personal phone after a day in the office surrounded by email on my laptop; and the company's BYOD program meant that corporate IT had access to my phone and could remote wipe it if they felt I compromised the network. No thanks. But with my current job I am roaming around a site with 4 trailers all day long (doing IT type of stuff), and I'm in& out all day long. I don't have a dedicated office area. The company is small and allows us to access work mail using the Outlook Mail app. In this job I like having my work email sync on my phone; if it's important I can stop what I'm doing and respond, call the person, etc. And if it's not important, I deal with that message later.
    03-10-2020 05:34 PM
    Thanks for the responses. To be fair, I was not 'wanting' anything per se'.
    I was more merely conveying my thoughts, and was curious on the feedback of others.

Alas, I do understand that it is MY choice to either have or do not have, my work email on my personal device(s).
    Scott337 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-10-2020 06:26 PM
    What bugs me is when a company insists that an employee use their phone for business, and then requires installation of device management software or security credentials that gives the company's IT the ability to wipe the phone if necessary. If my work did that, I'd insist that they instead provide me with a separate work phone. You never know when a glitch might happen that suddenly zaps your phone.
    03-10-2020 06:47 PM
    If I were required to check work emails outside of the office/office hours, the company would need to supply the phone. I wouldn't use my personal device, since it's personal and none of their business.
    03-10-2020 07:23 PM
    Hence why I carry my iPhone Max Pro... iMessage and company availability.... But I don't pay for the line so I guess it's a semi win
    03-10-2020 09:19 PM
    For the last three business days, I have not checked company email on my smartphone or tablet (both during and outside of business hours).
    Yep, progress.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-13-2020 04:23 PM