03-26-2020 09:07 AM
166 ... 567
tools
    So how would the tactic I mentioned be an different? In the U.S, they are already turning away all but the serious cases, making you quarantine at home. The same would happen in this plan.
    As I said before, the experts don't recommend that approach for many reasons. I trust them.
    03-25-2020 09:15 AM
    And how well is this working?

One thing I like about the Worldometers page I linked above is you can view the graphs in either a linear or logarithmic scale. Everyone knows how to read a linear scale, but the logarithmic scale can be used to see rates of infection. When looking at the latter, the rate of infection is pretty constant in the U.S. and several other countries I checked (including Italy). What that means is that all these restrictions have so far not caused a noticeable decrease in infection rates. The experts keep telling us this that and the other that work in theory, but is there any evidence those measures are actually working on a global, or even just a nation wide scale? I see all the charts showing the apparent flattening of the curve with these various restrictions, but those are all just mathematical simulations that assume public compliance. It's not real world results. It's looking like the only way to successfully do it would be martial law to use the threat of force to keep everyone inside, and I doubt that would last long peacefully.

Also, what I'm seeing about the initial UK response is not like the plan I outlined. Theirs seemed to be business as usual for the most part, even allowing for high risk populations to carry on.
    The rate of infection is being skewed by the fact that we are doing more testing so we can't assume the measures aren't working.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-25-2020 09:29 AM
    I’m not sure how anyone would have any difficulty understanding how social distancing would decrease infection rates, unless they purposely refuse to. The only way to pass it from person to person is to be within close contact (droplet) or touch infected surfaces and transmit to your respiratory tract. It’s simple.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-25-2020 03:31 PM
    Got this earlier today...
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-25-2020 04:37 PM
    I’m not sure how anyone would have any difficulty understanding how social distancing would decrease infection rates, unless they purposely refuse to.
    Because in the U.S, we are about 3 weeks into this mess with no signs of slowing down despite all the calls to social distance. Yes, that works as a concept, but I think the only way it would work in practice would cause irreparable damage to the economy. Taking us into a depression would cause massive casualties.
    03-25-2020 05:00 PM
    Because in the U.S, we are about 3 weeks into this mess with no signs of slowing down despite all the calls to social distance. Yes, that works as a concept, but I think the only way it would work in practice would cause irreparable damage to the economy. Taking us into a depression would cause massive casualties.
    I can certainly understand the concern regarding the economy, a very real concern, but that is unrelated to whether social distancing works. Common sense tells us it does and if not followed numbers would be worse. That is why high density areas (NYC, nursing homes, etc) are being affected most.
    03-25-2020 05:19 PM
    I can certainly understand the concern regarding the economy, a very real concern, but that is unrelated to whether social distancing works. Common sense tells us it does and if not followed numbers would be worse. That is why high density areas (NYC, nursing homes, etc) are being affected most.
    And those hot bed areas demonstrate why what works on paper and what works in reality don't always match up. I don't expect an area like NYC to follow proper social distancing simply due to population density, so they are shutting the state down and making everyone suffer for no real result. So why is it so hard to think out of the box?
    03-25-2020 05:30 PM
    I been in the hospital for a few days..
    My medicine caused my potassium went up to 5.9
    At 6.0 it's too dangerous.

My temp was 101*

Had to go to the emergency room.
    They stuck me in the hospital.

They wouldn't let anybody in to visit anybody.
    You couldn't leave your room.
    I felt like a 6 yr old kid locked in his room.
    I just got home.
    I can't take any leukemia " Myeloma " treatment for 2 weeks.

Got antibiotics for that time.
    milleniumdroid likes this.
    03-25-2020 05:40 PM

My temp was 101*

I just got home.

I’m sure it was difficult not having visitors but that is the best decision. Hopefully your K+ is normalized and symptoms are improved.
    All the best and keep us updated.
    milleniumdroid and MB64 like this.
    03-25-2020 05:46 PM

My temp was 101*

I just got home.

Please keep us posted on how you are feeling.
    03-25-2020 05:46 PM
    And those hot bed areas demonstrate why what works on paper and what works in reality don't always match up. I don't expect an area like NYC to follow proper social distancing simply due to population density, so they are shutting the state down and making everyone suffer for no real result. So why is it so hard to think out of the box?
    Can you imagine what would be happening in NYC if some/most people hadn’t practiced social distancing?
    Watch the news tonight. Areas where you would think wouldn’t be affected due to population density and didn’t follow rules are now being hit hard. Some of the young people who went to spring break are now falling ill because they thought they were immune. We are a ways away from peak and I hope it doesn’t get as bad as it could.
    Laura Knotek and MB64 like this.
    03-25-2020 05:51 PM
    Please keep us posted on how you are feeling.
    I'm totally out of it.
    Slept 4 hrs in about 3 days.

Got to make it to the pharmacy and pick up antibiotics.
    Got some antibiotics eye drops for my left eye that got a virus in it.

They ran a Corona virus test on me.
    Came back negative.

If possible. stay home.
    And only go to the hospital if it's a emergency.

I think you could catch something there if you are not careful.

Thanks.
    03-25-2020 06:16 PM
    They are following social distancing in New York. The reasons the numbers are going up is because more people are being tested.
    MB64 likes this.
    03-25-2020 07:33 PM
    They are following social distancing in New York. The reasons the numbers are going up us because more people are being tested.
    And not only this. Most people are being tested after a few days of presenting symptoms or when they had contact with someone that had. If you consider the mean incubation period, it can be very long, many of the positives today were probably infected more a week ago.
    TgeekB and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-25-2020 08:17 PM
    Ontario keeps getting more cases. Quebec is pretty much on lockdown.

On the plus side, my husband and I have finally found toilet paper, and we got cake to celebrate my brother's 30th birthday via video chat/phone calls/the front door. 😃 Silver linings.
    TgeekB and MB64 like this.
    03-26-2020 08:53 AM
    Thanks for the advice! College is stressful and this pandemic emergency situation doubles stress
    If I may suggest something? Focus on studying. Don't worry about anything else until it comes up. Worrying about things that haven't happened yet do several things, all negative: 1. Wastes time and energy, 2. Distracts you, 3. Prematurely fatigues you (see point 1) to where doing anything else takes more time or energy.
    john_v, milleniumdroid and MB64 like this.
    03-26-2020 09:07 AM
166 ... 567