Listener 'Mark' with an old XP laptop wanting an Android replacement that could be used to edit Word/Excel etc

I'm in kinda the same position as Mark, and I'd agree 100% with what Phil was saying - don't bother with the Galaxy, Xoom etc and get yourself one of those Asus Transformer's with the keyboard dock. Unlike the bluetooth keyboards, the Asus one just works - no time wasted trying to pair/(re)pair etc! And remember that the Asus keyboard is also a dock that recharges the tablet, whereas your bluetooth keyboards will be draining the tablet's battery (yeh, I know BT doesn't use a heck of a lot of power - but it's still a drain).

Second point - Google Docs on tablets - like the panel I really didn't like the official Docs app that much - instead I use Docs2Go from Dataviz, because it's able to load/save/create files in the Google Docs cloud pretty seamlessly. D2G works really well with the Transformer and, unlike the official Google Docs app, it's able to be driven entirely from the keyboard when launched. Most of the time I actually use that button on the Transformer to turn off the trackpad, because doing this seems to make it a lot more responsive - easily as good as a basic netbook. Oh, and according to the press quotes on Dataviz's page Dieter likes it...

Of course, if Mark wants something faster than XP on his old laptop, how about putting on a Linux distro (Ubuntu, Mint, etc) and LibreOffice?
    Cory Streater likes this.
    08-29-2011 08:29 AM
    Nice that you took the time to post this. Thanks.
    08-29-2011 02:26 PM
    I have bought it!
    10-21-2012 10:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD