History of Droid and new release

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
The Droid Razr Maxx was released January 2012 only to be upgraded in October of the same year to the Droid Razr Maxx HD. Then the Droid Maxx was released in August 2013. So ten months between each update. Now we are ten months into our Droid Maxx.

What options would you like the new 2014 Droid lineup to feature?

For me, I think it should be blazingly fast. I am talking at least 3gb of ram, maybe even 4 just to be the first. I also think now that lenovo is in the game they could really bring back the lapdocks.

Mobile processors are powerful enough, cheap enough, and small enough. They need to make a phone with a brilliant display under 5". Have that dock into at least a 10" tablet. I don't need a power hungry display on my phone. But maybe make the tablet display a little higher resolution.

And make a lenovo keyboard dock. Each section with a battery. Dual boot would be my dream but I'll let that go.

You would think verizon would be all over this for their non unlimited customers so they could sell them more data.

I also want a Seidio Convert case from day 1. I want that case to cost under $125 but also has protection for the tablet and keyboard.

I want usb 3.0. And give it a micro sd slot so others don't complain.

And lenovo should make a nice display with the droid branding so I can make this my desktop computer too. Give it a think pad carbon keyboard but wireless.

I know none of this will happen. But it is plausible in the near future. The atnt padfone is just terrible. Huge bezels. No battery in keyboard dock. It's nothing like the other padfone.

I would also like members here to post any news they see about potential new Droid models for Verizon.

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It will be interesting to see what happens. Anyone have any rumors as to when something might get announced?

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I think you'll have to wait another generation to allow Lenovo to bring all this stuff about, if they do at all.

Posted via Android Central App

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
If you had 5 lines 2 with grandfathered unlimited data, essentially endless amounts of upgrades, would you upgrade a droid razr maxx with lapdock to a droid maxx 16gb?

It would be free, with $100 trade up credit, and $200 visa rebate in 6-8 weeks from comcast. After $30 upgrade fee, basically $270 in credit and a free phone.

I am on the fence only because it's nearly a year old. But our line with the razr maxx is having charging port issues and battery life problems.

Just got a $50 best buy gift card for trading in an old tablet worth next to nothing. Paired with the Amex Isis promo we could could use that to offset a larger screen accessory to go with the new Droid maxx.

Google io was ok today. I wish it was as ground breaking as 2012's. Loved the collective awww when they said moto 360 was being released later this summer.

Wondering if there will be a droid to go with it... Hey its possible!

I think we're gonna do it!

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Well we couldn't order due to verizons system wide outage. But luckily I was able to place the order for the droid maxx online from comcast and went in to a corporate verizon store and got my account remarked for the trade up.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
The Droid Razr Maxx was released January 2012 only to be upgraded in October of the same year to the Droid Razr Maxx HD. Then the Droid Maxx was released in August 2013. So ten months between each update. Now we are ten months into our Droid Maxx.

What options would you like the new 2014 Droid lineup to feature?

For me, I think it should be blazingly fast. I am talking at least 3gb of ram, maybe even 4 just to be the first. I also think now that lenovo is in the game they could really bring back the lapdocks.

Mobile processors are powerful enough, cheap enough, and small enough. They need to make a phone with a brilliant display under 5". Have that dock into at least a 10" tablet. I don't need a power hungry display on my phone. But maybe make the tablet display a little higher resolution.

And make a lenovo keyboard dock. Each section with a battery. Dual boot would be my dream but I'll let that go.

You would think verizon would be all over this for their non unlimited customers so they could sell them more data.

I also want a Seidio Convert case from day 1. I want that case to cost under $125 but also has protection for the tablet and keyboard.

I want usb 3.0. And give it a micro sd slot so others don't complain.

And lenovo should make a nice display with the droid branding so I can make this my desktop computer too. Give it a think pad carbon keyboard but wireless.

I know none of this will happen. But it is plausible in the near future. The atnt padfone is just terrible. Huge bezels. No battery in keyboard dock. It's nothing like the other padfone.

I would also like members here to post any news they see about potential new Droid models for Verizon.

Since the droid line followed the moto x last year in terms of specs, I think the same will happen this year other than screen size. So most likely 2gb of ram, bumped camera, and snapdragon800. Moto is past the "specs mean everything" and shows what they can do with "mid range specs" yet still run super smooth.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
If you had 5 lines 2 with grandfathered unlimited data, essentially endless amounts of upgrades, would you upgrade a droid razr maxx with lapdock to a droid maxx 16gb?

It would be free, with $100 trade up credit, and $200 visa rebate in 6-8 weeks from comcast. After $30 upgrade fee, basically $270 in credit and a free phone.

I am on the fence only because it's nearly a year old. But our line with the razr maxx is having charging port issues and battery life problems.

Just got a $50 best buy gift card for trading in an old tablet worth next to nothing. Paired with the Amex Isis promo we could could use that to offset a larger screen accessory to go with the new Droid maxx.

Google io was ok today. I wish it was as ground breaking as 2012's. Loved the collective awww when they said moto 360 was being released later this summer.

Wondering if there will be a droid to go with it... Hey its possible!

I think we're gonna do it!

I would wait. With the g3, moto x+1 all right around the corner, and who knows what the droid line has in store, the maxx is long in the tooth right now.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Eh. We went ahead and got the 2nd droid maxx. It was simply too good of a deal to resist. Especially since micro usb flash drives exist. And I already had cases and screen protectors.

We ordered the phone on June 30th and will be receiving a $150 visa from comcast soon.

My local store honored the trade up and even let us keep our Motorola Admiral since the phone arrived after the promo.

So in total, we get 2 $10 Amazon gift cards, $150 visa, $100 statement credit, and $25 for serve.

Grand total of $295 plus a $400 phone all for free.

Now I just have to make myself sell the lapdock. I think I will sell the razr maxx on swappa grave yard. The phones battery is just fine but to charge you must only insert the plug 2/3 in.

I think I should try cleaning it first with a broken toothpick.

I was able to temp root with pie and get tethering. But I couldn't preserve root with wpnomo. Far too difficult.

But she doesn't need root like I do.

The g3 is coming to Verizon? I heard that it wasn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC