Futuristic concept phone

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
No matter how fast modern Android devices are, we ALWAYS want more. Personally, I have been dreaming about the day when our phones will be able to do every task imaginable in less that 5 miliseconds (instantly). Of course, here are the specs of what such a phone might be like:

-5nm Qualcomm Snapdragon SoC (8x 28GHz Cortex A53, 8800 GFlops Adreno GPU)
-16GB RAM
-16K AMOLED 5" screen
-18000mAh carbon supercapacitor
-300mpx main camera, 266mpx selfie camera
-AKG speakers
-400 milisecond charge time

Feel free to comment on my concept phone or to suggest better specs!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Definitely not interested in this device.

Assuming 16K is the long edge, we're talking about 3500 PPI. On a 5 inch display, that would mean we're wanting it to be at "retina" level within 1 millimeter of our retina, a distance at which we can see approximately nothing (and would feel substantial pain). Aside from that, 5" is likely too small at this point. People are very much into larger devices.

16 GB RAM is absolutely pointless in mobile devices until mobile devices do something completely different than any use case imagined for them today.

300 mpx main camera, means entirely too small pixels because of limitations on sensor size - meaning that our pictures are going to look like blobs of gooey garbage strewn upon a pile of rotted leaves. And that's taking pictures in perfect light.

.4 second charge time is going to involve enough heat that the owner of the device, and likely people within a substantial number of meters proximity to them, are going to feel a whole lot of discomfort, if they survive. Also, our power outlets cannot accomplish this, so we're talking about a new power standard globally.

As for the carbon supercapacitor, I'm unsure if you're talking about graphene or something else. If you meant graphene, current progress would mean that a max capacity of 18 Ah would give us a single charge of 18 Ah, which based on the other specs, etc. I'm assuming would last less than an hour, but let's say it lasted all day. The next charge would be about 11 Ah, so most of a day. The next charge would be 6.5 Ah, so a couple hours. The next would be 4Ah, maybe an hour? The next, 2.3Ah - less capacity than most of our phones contain now and it would last far less time than what we currently have. Long story short, within a week we have a device has a maximum charge capacity of 500 mAh, which will continue to diminish at 50-60% every charge cycle and will barely be enough juice to even power this on.

I guess I don't have any issues with the AKG speakers?

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Maybe I overexagerated on the graphene supercapacitor, charge speed and display (though in 100 years we can expect such stuff). As for the RAM, it won't be long before Android (with manufacturer skins on top) starts taking up first 4GB of RAM,then 8GB and so on while the device is idle. When it comes to the camera, I can never get enough detail captured no matter which camera I use. Of course, I am talking here about FUTURISTIC stuff we can expect in the next 200-300 years.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Definitely not interested in this device.

Assuming 16K is the long edge, we're talking about 3500 PPI. On a 5 inch display, that would mean we're wanting it to be at "retina" level within 1 millimeter of our retina, a distance at which we can see approximately nothing (and would feel substantial pain). Aside from that, 5" is likely too small at this point. People are very much into larger devices.

16 GB RAM is absolutely pointless in mobile devices until mobile devices do something completely different than any use case imagined for them today.

300 mpx main camera, means entirely too small pixels because of limitations on sensor size - meaning that our pictures are going to look like blobs of gooey garbage strewn upon a pile of rotted leaves. And that's taking pictures in perfect light.

.4 second charge time is going to involve enough heat that the owner of the device, and likely people within a substantial number of meters proximity to them, are going to feel a whole lot of discomfort, if they survive. Also, our power outlets cannot accomplish this, so we're talking about a new power standard globally.

As for the carbon supercapacitor, I'm unsure if you're talking about graphene or something else. If you meant graphene, current progress would mean that a max capacity of 18 Ah would give us a single charge of 18 Ah, which based on the other specs, etc. I'm assuming would last less than an hour, but let's say it lasted all day. The next charge would be about 11 Ah, so most of a day. The next charge would be 6.5 Ah, so a couple hours. The next would be 4Ah, maybe an hour? The next, 2.3Ah - less capacity than most of our phones contain now and it would last far less time than what we currently have. Long story short, within a week we have a device has a maximum charge capacity of 500 mAh, which will continue to diminish at 50-60% every charge cycle and will barely be enough juice to even power this on.

I guess I don't have any issues with the AKG speakers?

I can't tell if you were actually giving a serious response to this post. I hope not.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I overexagerated on the graphene supercapacitor, charge speed and display (though in 100 years we can expect such stuff). As for the RAM, it won't be long before Android (with manufacturer skins on top) starts taking up first 4GB of RAM,then 8GB and so on while the device is idle. When it comes to the camera, I can never get enough detail captured no matter which camera I use. Of course, I am talking here about FUTURISTIC stuff we can expect in the next 200-300 years.

You think you will have a physical phone in 100 years?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I would like a phone that has features that USE to be standard.

Removable battery
Headphone jack
SD card support
IE blaster
LCD screen (unless they come out with something better that doesn't permanently burn in and have AMOLED's orange or green tinting)

Additionally, I'd like:

Larger camera sensor but not necessarily higher resolution, for better low light ability
Telephoto or zoom lens (or lens attachments that are actually of good quality)
Higher powered stereo speakers
Thicker, more robust body so I don't have to fear it breaking at the slightest touch
Rubberized outer shell, with at least enough coverage to not worry it's going to slip from my hands

I think in terms of performance, those will naturally improve, so I'm not going to worry about things like processor speed, screen resolution (heck, 1080p is perfectly fine on a phone), and stuff like that.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Removable batteries and SD card slots are some things that I miss a lot with my current phone. As for phones staying "physical", geeks like me will DEMAND physical phones in the future. It is also not true that AMOLED easily burns in (I have a Galaxy Tab S3 and have had no such issues yet). Also, an audio chip system made by Maxim Integrated is a must have (they are the only sound systems capable of ultra clear sound that are currently available). Also, I would like to see high-accuracy fuel guage chips from Maxim and a power regulator from them too (such as the custom made undocumented max77838 found inside the Galaxy Tab S3, which I discovered by picking through driver folders in /sys .)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995