Has "reliable" ever been a concept of Android Devices?

iresearch

Feb 7, 2019
Visit site
First of all, props to the admin who had the brilliant idea for this kind of forum.

I'v noticed on the frontpage, devices selected for battery, camera, etc... But I didn't find any "reliability" contest..
For the cars, Toyota for example has great resell value, and that's because it's reliable.
But when we come to the phone industry, there's litte to no reliability even with the "flagship, spaceships :confused:, and flag killers" whatsoever.

Actually it's not only that, but is seem that "Apple" philosophy to force the market to buy new things as soon as 2 or 3 years are passed has been adopted as well by Android devices.

Since... After 2 years, if the phone isn't bricked or dead , then the software (or lack of it) renders it obsolete.

I remember reading an article from a professor who had done a research that basically the vendors explicitly devise a method to render the phone unusable after a certain period of time.

So, the concept of my ideal phone would be:

1) Carbon fiber material with carbon fiber cylinders inside to render it VERY strong
2) Modular as in "easy to repair" (a similar concept to https://www.fairphone.com/ ) which btw is not that fair since they don't allow you to change the motherboard, and you must pay a hefty price to get it changed - or buy a new phone [on the loop again].
3) Graphene Circuits (stronger then diamond, 200x times stronger then steel) chips which can be plugged in and out of the phone.
4) Saphire screen.
5) Open Source software with LTS (long time support) versions and the freedom to root, unlock lock etc the phone at the users will with an easy interface.

What are your thoughts?

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Don't forget totally waterproof....

I'd love to see non reflective screens, it's annoying looking at my reflection when I use the phone..

iresearch

Feb 7, 2019
Visit site
I love diving, it's crazy how I forgot about that, and not "fake" waterproof like most of the phones now, but a real replacement for Gopro. It's a waste of money and resources to buy a device for each task, while every one of them is more than capable of doing them all.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
First of all, props to the admin who had the brilliant idea for this kind of forum.

I'v noticed on the frontpage, devices selected for battery, camera, etc... But I didn't find any "reliability" contest..
For the cars, Toyota for example has great resell value, and that's because it's reliable.
But when we come to the phone industry, there's litte to no reliability even with the "flagship, spaceships :confused:, and flag killers" whatsoever.

Actually it's not only that, but is seem that "Apple" philosophy to force the market to buy new things as soon as 2 or 3 years are passed has been adopted as well by Android devices.

Since... After 2 years, if the phone isn't bricked or dead , then the software (or lack of it) renders it obsolete.

I remember reading an article from a professor who had done a research that basically the vendors explicitly devise a method to render the phone unusable after a certain period of time.

So, the concept of my ideal phone would be:

1) Carbon fiber material with carbon fiber cylinders inside to render it VERY strong
2) Modular as in "easy to repair" (a similar concept to https://www.fairphone.com/ ) which btw is not that fair since they don't allow you to change the motherboard, and you must pay a hefty price to get it changed - or buy a new phone [on the loop again].
3) Graphene Circuits (stronger then diamond, 200x times stronger then steel) chips which can be plugged in and out of the phone.
4) Saphire screen.
5) Open Source software with LTS (long time support) versions and the freedom to root, unlock lock etc the phone at the users will with an easy interface.

What are your thoughts?

I suspect that the perspective of an OEM whose principle business is hardware would be that their business model requires some form of planned obsolescence, a degree to which a device will, either through degradation over time or inability to keep up with general technological evolution, need to be replaced.

Touching on the bolded point you make regarding software, my understanding is that the reason Android OEM's (including Google, now) don't support the devices beyond a few years is that Qualcomm doesn't offer ongoing support for their chipsets beyond that period. If we see a continuation of what will hopefully become Google's towards in-house designed custom chips, we could see extended life of updates (Apple could already do this as they design their own chips, but it's unlikely to happen given that they are still massively staked on hardware profitability).

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I've yet to have a phone or tablet fail on me, I have 2 devices from 2013 that still function. Software and performance are lacking, but they work as they did when new. Also haven't broken a phone without throwing it in anger, something I haven't done in over 8 years. I did water log an S3 once, but I took it apart and cleaned all the connectors myself and got it running again.

Longer software support is one of the only improvements I see as needed. That's my opinion, we are all entitled to one.

iresearch

Feb 7, 2019
Visit site
DYI guys generally have more knowledge and know how to keep things in place, but that doesn't apply to the general public, although there is good hardware out there only that there is a conflict of interests with the android phone manufacturers since the number of sales depend on the buyers potential and at this moment the market is overloaded with phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma