After getting my first android device a few weeks ago, I was really looking forward to checking out its gaming capabilities. Specifically, I wanted to play some awesome multiplayer games with my girlfriend, who also has an android device.

However, I haven't been able to find a single game that allows for local multiplayer across multiple devices via bluetooth or wifi or whatever. Am I just not looking hard enough or is there a lack of these types of games?

I mean.. even the original gameboy let you hook multiple gameboys up to play some awesome 4 player tetris.

while i'm on the topic, what are some of the best games you guys have found for android?
    05-13-2010 11:50 AM
    There's a baseball 3D game (HomeRun Battle 3D i thing?) that allows local game-play with other android or iphone/ipod users. It requires 2.0+, so if you don't have a rooted phone running a rom, N1, Droid, Incredible, Eris, then you won't find it in the market. Its a $5 app, but it is fun. Try the demo first for free.
    05-13-2010 12:13 PM
    rufflez, thanks for the tip but i checked it out and that game does not allow local multiplayer. it seems to only allow some sort of weird online competition.

i'm pretty appalled at the selection of games on android. i wish i knew how to program because i feel like there are tons of capabilities that no one has really taken advantage.

the biggest one is local multiplayer. why in f's sake isn't there a 2-player tetris game?
    05-14-2010 08:34 AM
    Will it work via BT?
    05-14-2010 10:22 AM
    Will what work via BT?
    05-17-2010 03:46 PM
    Bumping this thread, because my friend has Air control for his iPhone, and it has local multiplayer. My gf and I would love to be able to do that with our Droids. There's a serious demand for local multiplayer on the Android platform, and we're hoping it comes soon. Would be nice if this expanded to multiplayer with Apple iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch users, too.
    05-18-2010 12:06 PM
    drPheta, so glad to hear i'm not the only one who sees this as a glaring void in the android app marketplace! i knew i should expect some amount of shovelware, but it's pretty astounding how crappy the games are when you think about the possibilities for great games.
    05-19-2010 04:48 PM
    I agree, and not just for games. Too many apps require access to the internet to function, a local solution would be awesome.
    Not just for multi-player, but apps like GPS that can't load the map because you are in a dead zone, so you just see an arrow going into the void. Now that 2.2. can write apps to the SD card, I'd love to see a lot more apps that don't have to rely on data. (Yes this means larger file sizes, but with 32g SD cards flying around it's not an issue).
    07-15-2010 09:18 AM
    There is an app for this. It is called A Play! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.anddev.aplay
    You use a tablet or a TV as a screen and two to six android phones as the controllers. This is great for meals or just fun. There aer some free games but you can try the others inside the app and then buy them. I think they are 50p.
    I use a Samsung galaxy tab 3 7.0 and two Samsung Galaxy Aces.#

I hope this answers your question.

George Leeson
    04-15-2014 11:10 AM