Bit of market research

Status
Not open for further replies.

go6 game

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
WHILST THIS THREAD IS A 'STICKY' IT IS STILL OPEN FOR RESPONSES. SO PLEASE READ AND REPLY - IT WILL ONLY TAKE A FEW MOMENTS. THANK YOU - go6 game

Hi

As an android apps developer I would be very interested to get some feedback on the following points:

1. Do you find it easy to discover new apps on the Android Market?

2. Do you rely on recommendations or do you search categories to find new games?

3. What is the most annoying problem with a new game e.g. force close, poor graphics?

4. Do you read the instructions on how to play or just Wing it?

5. When would you pay for a game? (Other than mobile versions of best selling PC/PSP etc games).

6. Do you play games where multiplayer involves passing the handset round?

7. Do you prefer single player or multiplayer games?

8. Where do you download most of your games i.e. Android market, Amazon, GetJar?

9. Do you like games where you can upload your scores to Facebook or other websites?

10. Do you recommend games you like to friends?

Thanks for your patience - I'm sure a lot of developers would love to know this stuff and maybe improve user experiences!

Last edited:

PossumPete

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
1. I find it easier to find new games right here.
4. Wing it for the most part.
5. If I like it AND the ads are a nuisance.
6. Never.
7 Single player.
8 Android Market.
9. No.
10. Absolutely!

Reactions: go6 game

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
1. Fairly easy. IMO it was easier with the old Market and it's "just in" list.
2. Because of my job, I tend to have to make the recommendations versus rely on them.
3. Being available for devices it does not work with in the Market. Developers -- please use device filtering :)
4. Jump in and go.
5. I'll pay for any application I use more than once, games included.
6. No. I hate sharing my phone :p
7. Single player. I usually only play games when i have a bit of downtime, which usually gets interrupted.
8. Android Market
9. I don't, but I understand the attraction and think it's a nice feature.
10. Yes.

Great idea, running a survey about this. Let's get it on the Android Central blog and try to get you some more answers.

go6 game

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
It's difficult to do the devices. I test mine on my HTC Wildfire and then rely on Android Market to do the rest. On Amazon they do seem to be a bit more particular, but realistically I have made $15 in 4 months, and money is not my motivation, but equally I can't test my games on every device available.

Possibly Android Market will have to get a little more particular and maybe bring themselves into line with Amazon and Apple who do vet the apps they offer.

go6 game

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. Sorry. Little distracted by my wife.

"Great idea, running a survey about this. Let's get it on the Android Central blog and try to get you some more answers."

Where do you think this should be posted and feel free to pass it on.

Lothinator

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much, though I do hit up AppBrain to get a better view of the new stuff.

2. Do you rely on recommendations or do you search categories to find new games?
A little of both. I read a number of app review sites, threads on XDA, and watch what's trending on the Market.

3. What is the most annoying problem with a new game e.g. force close, poor graphics?
Lengthy downloads that take you past the review window only to find the game is buggy or not as advertised. Surpassed only by lengthy update checks every time you run the game, which is a problem I have with Princess Punt.

Wing it, definitely. If a game isn't "discoverable" without reading the instructions, then it needs a better UI. Pop-up hints/tips are okay to explain the tough stuff.

5. When would you pay for a game? (Other than mobile versions of best selling PC/PSP etc games).
I would pay a reasonable price for a game that I *KNOW* works on my device. Lengthy content downloads have made me very very wary, though, of paying for a game untried. I do NOT, however, appreciate in-game content purchases.

No.

Single.

8. Where do you download most of your games i.e. Android market, Amazon, GetJar?
Android Market 100%.

9. Do you like games where you can upload your scores to Facebook or other websites?
No, when they have those features I make an effort NOT to use them.

Only if the game is outstanding. Maybe 1 or 2 per year max.

cheuer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
1. Yes
2. Both, but recommendations more
3. Waiting for the game to download an extra X MB of data (instead of including it all in the Market download)
4. Instructions
5. When I think I'll play it more than once or twice
6. Never.
7. Mostly play single player, but wish there were more multiplayer online games.
8. Android Market
9. I like when it's an option, I don't like being forced into it just to play
10. Definitely!

Edit: typo

jhotmann

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

No, I find most new apps through Android blogs. There are just too many in the market to know what's good and what's not.

I search categories every once in a while but it's never a productive exercise.

Device incompatibility

Usually just wing it

I pay for lots of games, especially if they are recommended by an outside source.

No

Single player (on a mobile phone at least)

Android Market only

No.

Yes.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
OK, let's see if I can provide you some feedback...
1. I hate to say it but, no. The market really needs a "new" or "recently added" section to make this easier. I do, however, discover new games/apps thanks to sites like this one! So, one way to let folks know about your apps, is to let sites like Android Central know about it or by posting here!
2. It's a mix here. If a game is recommended by an Android forum member or by an article on the page, I will definitely check it out. I also browse the market for games in the categories I like (or just type searches).
3. Since I am mostly playing games on my Prime now, resolution would be the thing. Some of the games do not scale very well. I suppose now that phones have resolutions that match current tablets (ie, 720p), this may start to change. I don't see force closures very much with any of the games I have. For certain games, the control scheme is an issue, particularly with on-screen controls. The tablets deals with this much better than the phones, however.
4. This depends on the game. Some games are ports of known games, so I just "wing" it. Others, I will read so I know what the heck I'm supposed to be doing! I've found that if a game offers the instructions on a tutorial or as pop ups, that's when I find them most useful.
5. If I just like it and I find the price to be "right," I just buy it. I much prefer to pay for a game than have ads on the screen. Of course, that doesn't mean I'll pay any price for a game on my phone or tablet. I do like, however, to be able to test a game without having to pay. So, generally games that have a free version for trial are the ones I pay for the most if I like the gameplay.
6. Don't really play these type of games.
7. Single player.
8. Most from the Android Market. Some from Amazon.
9. Not really. I play games for the fun of it, not for competition. Besides, I quit Facebook since I started using Google+!
10. Absolutely!

I hope this is helpful and not too long-winded! LOL

koolbon

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
As an android apps developer I would be very interested to get some feedback on the following points:

Easy enough.

Usually recommendations.

I haven't run into it enough.

I usually know what the game is about when I get it.

If I like the game and it is reasonably priced.

I have that type of game, but never played that way.

Mutilplayer games that I don't have to pass my phone around with.

Android market

I don't care about that

Yes, I do.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I really don't look for new apps all that often - I rely on reading news and reviews on sites like this, podcasts, etc. I tend to find the apps that I need and tend to stick with them.

As for the rest of your questions, I never play games on my phone. I have neither the time nor the inclination.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
I think you should have used a google docs form for this, would have made sifting through it a lot easier =)

New apps? Yeah. Good apps? Not really.

Recommendations.

No server backup (not everyone wants/can root their phone), Poor UI, followed by force close.

Wing it unless I get annoyed.

If it has an appealing idea that I can try, has heavy recommendations by everyone, and ideally, has a demo of some sort so I really know if I want to shell out for it.

No

Depends, mostly single player. But I like games like words with friends in terms of "multiplayer"

Android Market

Don't care.

Yes

virtualhuman

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes, and read blogs/reviews for more suggestions

Depends how badly I want a new game/how much free time I have

Well, force close is a show-stopper, but beyond that, bad controls

Some of both, depends on the complexity of the game. A built-in tutorial during the initial level/gameplay is ideal

Preferably, after having played a fully-featured demo that convinced me I'll love the game. Else, on the strength of reviews in blog posts, etc

If the game is compelling enough, but not often

Single

Amazon (FAotD), Android Market

NO!

Yes

bellamyepl

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
1. I don't really search the marker all that much.. I usually get tipped off by AC, Phandroid, Android Authority, BGR or some other tech site.
2. I'll usually go to top categories (top grossing, top free, top paid) and look for apps that way.
3. Force close
4. I usually just wing it
5. When I try a free version and happen to like it i'll pay for it. Reasonably priced as well..
6. I have games like that but never use it in that way.
7. I play more single player but multiplayer are good just don't want to pass the phone around like you said.
8. Mostly the market. I download just the free apps of the day for amazon.
9. I don't have facebook but if it implemented with Google+ I would.
10. I usually will recommend some to friends but a lot of my friends could careless since they aren't as insane about smartphones as I am lol.. :)
Hope this helps

Qoheleth

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Not as easy as I'd like. I watch the Android Central Editor's choices for good picks. I also scan through suggested apps on AppBrain and often look at the related apps as well.
I search categories when I'm looking. I prefer strategy games to tests of reflexes.
I find two things the most annoying: 1) Using a lot of resources, and 2) Bugs/Errors especially those that cause forced closes.
A little of both: I read the basics and then wing it from there.
I'd always like to have a fully playable demo version (of the first few levels or such) with the option to buy after I'd tried it out.
No.
I prefer single-player as I'm usually by myself when I need to entertain myself.
AppBrain / Android Market
Not in particular.
Always.

thebballkid

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
1. Not really. Wish the sorting/filtering was more advanced.

2. Recommendations

3. I get very annoyed when games look different than the screenshots in the description. Even further annoyed when games don't have screenshots/videos.

4. WING IT!

5. If the free version had a good amount of levels (not just 3 and then buy pro for the rest 997), was fun to play, and was less than a buck.

6. Nope

7. Single player

8. Exclusively Android Market

9. Nope, but I like games that have an internal multiplayer score system, meaning I can race or compete my score with other players that play the game under their pseudonym.

10. Definitely

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Answering you as payback to the fine staff at AC ;)

Yes and no.. I find the Market will sometimes point out useful apps to me, but probably more often I learn about great games or apps/utilities I wouldn't otherwise know about due to sites reviewing them, such as AC, forum members, or folks on Twitter.
More often I rely on recommendations.
More often I find games just bore me, either because the controls aren't optimized or level design is not up to par. I enjoy puzzle/strategy type games and some word games, so with the former category it takes a lot to find the right mix that will really engross me and make me want to complete the game, espcially going for "3 stars" in every level, or what have you.
Almost always read them, like 98% of the time.
I need to read some great reviews (both on sites and market reviews themselves), the price has to be reasonable, and I want to see a video of the game in action and see if it looks like something I'll pay to play (usually easy to find, AC includes videos with their reviews and most market games have started to as well)
Never have.
Single.
Android market. When I got my first android phone last year I made the mistake of thinking Amazon was just as good.. won't do that again, I want updates when they are available, and you get them on android market first.
Never really saw the need for that, pretty useless and waste of memory/data.
Yes I have often for ones I really like :)

Hope that helps! :)

thenomad

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
1. Easy enough but I don't try very hard.

2. Mostly recommendations.

3. Too much "decoration" getting in the way of seeing what's going on. A noisy screen is not a happy screen. Adverts blocking critical areas of the screen or being placed too close to where you need to click (and thus a constant false-hit).

4. Read the instructions.

5. Generally not more than a few dollars.

6. no

7. Single player

8. Android market (exclusively)

9. Not only no but hell no. I won't touch a game that posts my scores anywhere else.

10. yes

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Mostly I do

Usually recommendations from friends

small size in market..huge 48 MB download after..just let me play!

Instructions are not required.

If the game is long enough to warrant more than 4 hours play time without constant repetition (see angry birds) games like Sentinel 3. asphalt, NOVA. with a great story i'll drop $$ for

Get your grubby hands off my phone..when was the last time you washed those? So...no I guess

Mutilplayer games that I don't have to pass my phone around with.

Android market

Not a bias either way. I don't ever use it though. Like to keep my feeds clean

Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL