Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done
    Gaming; Winner: 2-way tie

" Android doesn't even have a language that enables the rich games that iOS and webOS allow. And besides the quantity, webOS has every bit of the quality as iOS so it is a tie."

Above is a quote from the linked article. Is that statement accurate. If so, why?
    06-12-2010 01:12 PM
    He clearly does not like Android, lol... either that, or he just likes bashing it.

He talks about customization and it is a 2-way tie between Android and WebOS.
    However, he says that you just go to Preware and do blah blah... I used Preware too, but the average owner will not use it.
    So why don't you just say "On Android, just use certain ROMS and you can do blah blah" ??

Anyway, but on the point of gaming... I hope that one line isn't true. I miss the 3d gaming WebOS allowed. It was so slick and nice. Infact, Sims 3 would be SO much more fun on a bigger screen like the Evo.
    06-12-2010 01:20 PM
    However, he says that you just go to Preware and do blah blah... I used Preware too, but the average owner will not use it.
    So why don't you just say "On Android, just use certain ROMS and you can do blah blah" ??

The average owner WILL use Preware, as its very close to using the App store.

I would say that many more people would use preware, they would take the chance of rooting & flashing there phone.
    06-12-2010 01:37 PM
    There's no question that gaming was better or should I say "smoother" on the Pre, especially for things like racing games, but most of the games work fine on the Evo. Of course I prefer RPGs and the emulators which have no problem.
    06-12-2010 02:38 PM
    Gaming on the EVO sucks for me since the Sense UI disables the wiimote controller applications from working.

This kills all emulator gaming experience for me since I need a physical controller like the wiimote to play correctly. Virtual buttons make me want to puke! =(

If only there was a way to disable the Sense UI completely (I'm not talking about disabling Sense on just the homescreen that everyone talks about --- that doesn't disable Sense completely, only the homescreen).
    06-12-2010 02:49 PM
    We will have a fully functional asop build in a month or so.
    06-12-2010 02:51 PM
    Is that because of froyo?
    06-12-2010 03:07 PM
    What's an asop stand for?
    06-12-2010 03:12 PM
    What's an asop stand for?
    Android Open Source Project.

Welcome to Android | Android Open Source

It is the core Android OS without Sense or Motoblur etc.

I'm not sure if it is the exact same as what runs on the G1 and N1, or if it is the same as what runs on the G1 and N1 minus some drivers, but I'm sure someone else here can explain that part.
    06-12-2010 03:51 PM
    Not sure where the author got his ideas from. Android does have an NDK, which is the developers kit, language, and api's for gaming.

The biggest difference is that it's harder to write hardware acceleration for android because everything is run through Davik. (the virtual machine that runs all android apps). however, with 2.2 and the Just in Time (JIT) compiler, gaming should improve significantly.
    06-12-2010 04:04 PM
    yah, 2.2 should make things much better for gaming. I would still like to see Google really step up and sort out the Market and beef up APIs for graphics acceleration. Oh wells @@
    06-13-2010 12:21 AM
    yah, 2.2 should make things much better for gaming. I would still like to see Google really step up and sort out the Market and beef up APIs for graphics acceleration. Oh wells @@
    I hope they do what Palm did... they came out with developers from the start... WebOS was getting gameloft ports every week...

We even got Nova... which is funny, cause it was released for the Iphone like a couple months before... making WebOS great at gaming.

Also funny... I bet you the regular Droid can run all those because of the processor that Iphone has.
    06-13-2010 02:15 AM
    Does the Evo have a fairly powerful dedicated GPU? What with the N1, Incredible, and Evo on the shelves, you'd think they would be doing everything they could to get more large scale professional games on the platform.

Beside the interface, the thing I miss most from WebOS was anticipating at least 1 new Gameloft game every week! I think they are at 22 ports and counting, while Android only has 10, and you can't even buy them from the Market?! I had over 20 paid apps on my pre, but i haven't been able to commit to anything on the Android Market. Maybe Radiant Lite...

It's also kind of hard to game even with the indie apps because I seem to have quite a choppy framerate on my evo...

Edit: Wow! To make matters worse I just went to gamelofts website with the intention of buying an Android game to see how good the port was but after choosing Country and Carrier, it says there are no payment methods currently available for the United States!!
    06-13-2010 03:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD