Asteroid Buster - new space shooter

MD_Reptile

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Asteroid Buster is a new game on google play where you take the controls of a spaceship, blasting away at asteroids floating through space! This can be alot of fun, so give it a try and come back here to let me know what you think of the game. I am the developer and will be working on many improvements, but I think as it is its a solid, fun, addictive game to play on the go, you can even set worldwide high scores :)

Check it out here on google play:
Asteroid Buster - Google Play

Danielrogers

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I didn't like it to tell you the truth! But still it's your creature, so thanks. Cannot say anything more constructive on it. Fun, that's it.

Last edited:

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Here are my opinions...

The gameplay is a lot of fun. It's kind of a throwback to the old 1979 arcade game, Asteroids. One thing I didn't like is that the power-ups end after a certain amount of time. I would like it better if I could keep the power-ups until I got hit by an asteroid. This is especially true in the case of the shield.

I also wasn't a big fan of the controls, my thoughts on each control scheme below...

Joystick:
This is the control setting that I tried first, and I immediately didn't like it. I don't like that I couldn't turn without also moving forward. I want my turning and thrust to be seperate. While playing with this control scheme I was yearning for dual joystick controls (where the left stick controls your movement and the right stick idependently controls aiming and shooting). But dual sticks would change the gameplay because you could aim and shoot in a different direction than you are moving, and I don't know if you intend that change. (Althought it's a change that I would welcome.)

Tilt:
The tilt control was the second control setting I tried. I like it better than the Joystick control, but I didn't like that there is no option to calibrate the tilt settings. Usually when playing a game I'm holding the phone at an angle. I find it very akward to hold the phone perfectly flat and look down on it from above. Other games that use tilt controls usually have an option to calibrate the controls that way you can pick a comfortable position for you and calibrate that to the neutral position.

Buttons
Finally I tried the button control scheme and I like it the best because it allowed me to seperate my motion from aiming. I could thrust forward, stop thrust, and then aim in any direction while still moving forward. It still suffered from the same need of a tilt calibration.

Overall, this is a fun game. I don't think I'd pay for it, but for a free game it's pretty entertaining. It has a lot of potential, but it doesn't feel quite ready to me. If you make some changes to the controls and allow the powerups to stay until you get hit, you'll have a winner on your hands.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

MD_Reptile

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
@jean15paul
I value your feedback! I will certainly look into some changes, as those are good suggestions on the controls. I was kind of intending to make the joystick easier and more intuitive, I will certainly try and work another joystick style, where you have a two button thrust/fire on the right, and also the joystick, with the joystick ONLY controlling your facing, so you can thrust more carefully. Right now as it plays, you have to carefully keep the joystick close to center to not trust while rotating. But expect to see a update coming in the next month or so with perhaps new content, and definitely some changes to suite players requests.

@Danielrogers

Could you point out some things that you didnt like in particular? Any changes I can make to help the game appeal more to a wider audience are a high priority for development, and I value everyones opinion for what could use some work! Thanks for trying out the game :)

Anyway if anyone else gives it a try, and lets me know any more problems/suggestions, they are taken seriously! I hope to make asteroid buster as good as it can be, and hopefully bring back the old school feel really well. Thanks again! :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae