So I recently got the Evo.

Doubting my purchase cause I did quite a bit of gaming on the Pre.
    The Motorola phones, I hear, are kicking butt when it comes to games, movies, anything that uses the dedicated graphics it has...
    I guess I don't know enough. I would just like it if I could play games as smoothly as I did on my Pre.

I've played Raging Thunder 2, Speed Forge 3d, and some other games on my Evo. The ones described above run pretty well, but there do exist some framerate issues. I don't know if it's the 30fps cap, or... what.

I bought this phone mostly because this 4.3" screen could be a beast when I play 3d games. I feel like I took a step back from the Pre in terms of smooth gameplay.
    06-17-2010 09:59 PM
    I believe that its the 30FPS cap. I've seen videos of the Nexus One and Incredible playing games flawlessly.
    06-17-2010 10:06 PM
    It also bothers me that the Droid, during the benchmark tests that Phil did, played the video game very smoothly... while the other two were choppy.
    06-17-2010 10:23 PM
    I'm glad I got the Milestone. Sorry to hear your troubles.
    06-17-2010 10:29 PM
    It also bothers me that the Droid, during the benchmark tests that Phil did, played the video game very smoothly... while the other two were choppy.
    I've noticed that too. Seems that the Arm Cortex and OMAP processors are more powerful than the Snapdragons even while clocked at lower speeds.
    Motorola Droid Takes Down Nexus One, EVO, Incredible in Graphics Battle | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Don't think I'd ever consider a Snapdragon over any of these but that doesn't mean it's bad. HTC should probably ditch the Snapdragon and go with more powerful processors.
    06-17-2010 10:35 PM
    I've noticed that too. Seems that the Arm Cortex and OMAP processors are more powerful than the Snapdragons even while clocked at lower speeds.
    Motorola Droid Takes Down Nexus One, EVO, Incredible in Graphics Battle | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Don't think I'd ever consider a Snapdragon over any of these but that doesn't mean it's bad. HTC should probably ditch the Snapdragon and go with more powerful processors.
    That link made me think a bit.

He said that the Snapdragon family has the Adreno GPU. I guess it's different. I'm guessing that games just need optimization for that specific GPU?

I'm saying that because Qualcomm made their own benchmark, so... I wonder how Droid would do vs. the others in Qualcomm's own test.

Qualcomm Products and Services - The Snapdragon™ Platform
    Go check out the video in the Video Demonstration part.
    So maybe things just need to be optimized and Snapdragon doesn't have the limitations that I'm thinking of...

Qualcomm Blabs On "Specific Game-Centric Platforms Launched Around Snapdragon"
    06-18-2010 04:17 PM
    Here's also a very good read about Samsung's Hummingbird processor vs. Qualcomm's Snapdragon processor...

Scroll below for the talk about GPU!
    Hummingbird vs. Snapdragon: The 1 GHz Smartphone Showdown | AlienBabelTech
    06-18-2010 04:29 PM
    the reason why the droid is able to play games smoother in most cases is because of the quality of the chip which is able to be overclocked to over 1 GHz. and also it has a separate chip to process graphics. so it has an edge do to all the work not being done one particular chip. at least that's what i read
    06-18-2010 06:32 PM
    wrote an email to GAMELOFT about my issues with a game purchase I made for my Evo:

Hello,

For the moment, we are having some problems with the HD+ games. We are following this problem closely and we’ll get back to you as soon as we fix this issue. We apologize for this.
    When this problem it’s fixed you will be contacted by our team with a new link for the game you bought.

Thanks for the patience,
    Regards

-------------------------------
    Pablo Fernandez De Luco
    Customer Care Representative
    Mobile Games - iPhone Games, Android Games Downloads - Top Games for Mobile | Gameloft
    06-18-2010 09:15 PM
    wrote an email to GAMELOFT about my issues with a game purchase I made for my Evo:

Hello,

For the moment, we are having some problems with the HD+ games. We are following this problem closely and we’ll get back to you as soon as we fix this issue. We apologize for this.
    When this problem it’s fixed you will be contacted by our team with a new link for the game you bought.

Thanks for the patience,
    Regards

Pablo Fernandez De Luco
    Customer Care Representative
    Mobile Games - iPhone Games, Android Games Downloads - Top Games for Mobile | Gameloft
    Wow nice!
    Thanks! I should probably contact game developers more... cause I plan to use this 'phone' to game like no other.

I still don't know what they mean by HD+ games...
    Anyway, I only played Asphalt 5 for GAmeloft.
    I wanted to play NOVA but not on my tiny Pre screen.

If they optimize it for the Adreno GPU... I will love them forever cause I wanted to play The Settlers and other games.
    They're really fast about updating games. They released new games for the Pre every week.

Sending them an e-mail as we speak.
    06-18-2010 11:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD