Hey guys, I have been allowed to upgrade on sprint since this month and Im holding off getting the EVO for an EPIC simply because the EPIC is a way better GPU. Now to me the evo is amazing because of huge screen and looks. But at the same time I love some good 3d games(im coming from a palm pre)

Would even be worth it to have a high end GPU considering there arent any games out that use it and probably wont be till maybe a year?

or is it worth getting because sooner we will use the high end GPU.

Can the evo play back all the highend games out right now for adroid? I heard it cant play some ports of gameloft well, but then I heard thats changed as gameloft is customizing the games for the Adreno.

please provide your input for me

Should i deny the evo because of its low end GPU?
    08-16-2010 11:18 PM
    Hey I do have an evo and coming from a pre I have to say all the games you can play on the pre you can play I the evo but games like hawks asphalt dungeon hunter and so on don't seem to run very smooth they kinda stutter and specially hero of sparta is a pain in the butt to play. Don't get me wrong the evo is a great device but gaming sucks on it. its a shame that it can't handle it well even the pre running only on 500mhz plays them smoother. And we all know how well the pre does on 1ghz lol. So probably when it comes to gaming you are better off with the epic but all over the first couple reviews say that in comparison the evo is slightly better. I am not sure if the games just poorly ported over from gameloft or what's going on. Because some other 3d games they are specially made for android like home run derby or heavy gunners run smoothly. The evo is the sexy phone then the epic but it is up to u. I think hopefully that the epic will perform better gaming wise I am getting an epic an will put an review up in youtube soon a comparison between both phones. Like games and media stuff. I hope I was some help for you.
    mikachu likes this.
    08-17-2010 12:51 AM
    Yes you were helpful, Id love to see a detailed video of 3d games running on both phones and your overall thoughts. Also im thinking that the epic might be good looking in person, so maybe ill like it a lot!

Would love to see more replies from people! Am still curious of a need of a highend gpu in the future?
    08-17-2010 01:52 AM
    I've got a Desire, which as far as I'm aware uses a similar graphics solution to the EVO (Adreno 200). I can play today's games with no problems whatsoever, be it Dungeon Hunter, NOVA, Desert Storm or Crusade of Destiny. They all run fine. I did notice a nice performance boost with Froyo though.

Basically, any modern 1GHz phone with Adreno 200 or the other chips in recent phones will be able to handle today's games alright. I'm not sure for how much longer though. :P Personally I'd go with the EVO simply because I prefer HTC to Samsung, and I'm quite fond of Sense. If that means that graphics performance is reduced somewhat, well... in a month or two, there'll be new phones that greatly outperform ours anyway. Won't make much of a difference in the long run.
    08-17-2010 02:12 AM
    I have the Evo and my fav games right now aren't really demanding. I play hungry shark, hyper jump, and zenonia. While those games aren't really eye candy it's a whole lot of fun. The 3d games for Android are lacking right now compared to the iPhone. With my premier customer perk, I can upgrade next year if I feel the games have caught up. I say don't worry too much about it. It's not supposed to be a PSP.
    08-17-2010 03:52 AM
    Which is more important to you? Being able to play a few 3D games, or having an awesome phone with the best UI out, the HTC Sense. I already tried both the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant and the Captivate. Most of my time with those were spent TRYING to tweak the UI desktop to look like my old HTC HD2 WinMo phone! The closest I could get was Beautiful Widgets, but the dev kept having to create updates to fix all the bugs. So I decided that if the screens I used / looked at 98% of the time were like Sense, then just go buy an EVO. Not to mention that all the e-mail programs for the Samsung were total crap! The OEM TouchWiz mail was horrible, K-9 was basically a slightly tweaked copy, and MailDroid was a total disaster! So if you are willing to give up all the functionality of the real reason to have a smartphone just to play a few 3D games, go for the Samsung. As for me and gaming, that is why I have a custom built PC, XBox 360, and a PS3. Even on the latest 3D phone GPU, you still get no where near the game or graphics as on a PC or gaming console.
    08-17-2010 04:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD