Golf GPS App

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I know the program will find courses, make sure battery is at full charge or you won't make it through the round. I won't be playing until tomorrow and I highly doubt it will survive 18 holes with the standard battery for the Incredible. My blackberry had the Seido 2600mAh and a round would go through 50% in a round, perhaps not keeping track of stats might save a bit but probably not much.

I just got the 1750mah seidio battery. So I hope I make it through a round. Thanks for the info though, I just hope the GPS works for where I hit the ball :eek:

jjcritch

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Whats the deal with Apps that use oobgolf. Like GolfCard.

It says 40,000 courses in the description on the Android market. This is so far from the truth. It really only has just over 11,340 mapped. (Courses with GPS Mapping)

I don't care if a course is in your database, I want to know if its mapped...

Any apps that have lots of courses mapped like GolfLogix, but are free and not a battery drain?

meovino

May 8, 2010
www.frugalfairways.com

I have used Greenfinder both on BlackBerry (actually paid for it) and on Android (so far, just the trial. I've reviewed the Android version on my blog. Be sure to try before you buy to ensure that their maps of your course are good. I like it well enough to pay for it, but there are other apps I want to try. I just bought a copy of SkyDroid and I'm excited to try it. For $.99, how bad can it be?

Mike E.

JungleDanny

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
nRange the best I've tried

I've tried a couple and liked nRange the best. They really do have a nice balance between simplicity (good battery life) and features. I usually just look at the top of the screen but when I'm on a new course, map view lets me see what is ahead and get yardages to the bunkers, etc.

pjs2004

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't think I saw this mentioned, but here's one called GolfCard that looks pretty good (the web site is a little bit under construction because they just came out with a new version with some big changes):

GolfCard - Home

I've looked at all the ones listed in this thread and this one looks like one of the better ones. Golflogix looks good, but I don't like that you can't survey the courses yourself if you want, and it seems to require communication between the phone and the company server. I'm currently using Intelligolf on the Palm Centro, but I'm moving to an Android Phone soon. After looking at all the iPhone and Android Golf Apps, I still don't think any of them beat Intelligolf. I wish they would make an app for Android.

Here are some of the best things about Intelligolf, which I would like to see in an Android app. It has the most comprehensive statistics recording I've ever seen, and it has a separate app for your PC. So, you can sit at your computer and review all your rounds, or look at various charts and graphs of how you are improving. It's also completely independent from the company, which one of the best things about it. It means that if the company is gone tomorrow, you could still use the app the exact same way. It doesn't require you to sync your scores with the company server, or require any other type of communication with the company. Also, you can survey an unlimited number of courses yourself without the company. Another thing I like is that you can type in notes for every hole and for every round. It's great for keeping track of how to play a particular hole, or for noting certain things about a good or bad round. Lastly, it keeps all of your rounds on your phone and when you are playing, you can review your history of the hole you are on, like how many times you birdied, parred, or bogied, and what your best and worst score was. It's really an amazing piece of software, if your analytical about your game like I am.

GolfCard has some of the best statistics recording and presentation I've seen on a Android app, and it looks to be pretty independent of the company. You can email yourself the scorecard after the round in a spreadsheet or web format. It still looks like it's missing some of the features I mentioned, but I think I'll try it out when I get my phone...can't wait!

OldSchool

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded GolfCard to my DINC and I have to say that while it seems promising it is not particularly easy to navigate. The HTC menu button is not enabled and there is no local help. If you want to learn how to use it you have to d/l the PDF of the user guide. As of 7/13 it appears that the new "Pro" version is released and that GolfCard has moved their relationship from OOB Golf to USHandicap. I'm still committed to making it work since I paid for it but so far I'd give it a lukewarm rating - especially since visiting their site again this a.m. To be fair though, I have not tried any of the other programs.

Last edited:

james.y8

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
SkyDroid

I'm actually the developer of SkyDroid.

I used Intelligolf on my WinMo phone. I liked it a lot, and you could map your own course like SkyDroid. Intelligolf folks don't seem too eager to add an android version though.

I've been using SkyDroid on my LG Ally and it works well as a range finder. I'd love to see some additions:

Score Keeping
I'd like to be able to keep score for myself and up to a full foursome.
Intelligolf also had a feature that you could use their desk top version to keep track of a tournament, so you could set up everyone with their own hand held and then just have them sync up to the desk top when the round is over. I never had a need for it, but it seemed pretty cool / useful.
Handicap
I'd like to be able to track my shot distance, GIR, FIR, penalty strokes, etc.
Course Lookup
I've already mapped my home course. It was easy enough. I'd like to be able to look up courses based on city or zip code.

alexlevy117

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the update to Golfcard and was not pleased with the update. It was a great application prior to the Pro update. I just downloaded skydroid and will test it out this weekend.
Hopefully the developer from Golfcard listens to the numerous negative reviews on the update and provides an immediate fix.

OldSchool

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Alexlevy117,
I have to agree with you. I couldn't get the local course I was playing yesterday to show up using the Pro update though it was there last week when GC was still affiliated with OOBGolf. The documentation portion of the GC site was still bannered with the same "...will be updated within 24 hours..." splash that was there yesterday. I, like you am now looking for another app that can provide me GPS range finding, scorekeeping and optionally synching with my USGA handicap.

richtree

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
AGREED !!!!

This isn't a hard request. All golfers want the same things.

1. GPS

2. Score Keeping (by marking your shot at the GPS location)

3. Ability to save to a database

4. Sync to USGA Handicap

phishman3579

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
SimpleGolfGPS

Hey All,

I am interested in getting some feedback on a free golf GPS program and electronic scorecard. I am in the middle of development and would like some real golfer feedback.

It's available on the Android Market, it is called SimpleGolfGPS.
SimpleGolfGps for Android

I am in the midst of using the course data available on mytourcaddy.com for displaying par/yardage/handicap. It should be done by the end of the week.

OldSchool

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey All,

I am interested in getting some feedback on a free golf GPS program and electronic scorecard. I am in the middle of development and would like some real golfer feedback.

It's available on the Android Market, it is called SimpleGolfGPS.
SimpleGolfGps for Android

I am in the midst of using the course data available on mytourcaddy.com for displaying par/yardage/handicap. It should be done by the end of the week.

Phishman,
I downloaded SimpleGolfGPS this morning and will give it a test at a local course here in the DC area today and give you my feedback. Do you want said feedback here on the forums? BTW, cheers to you for not only looking to develop this app but for asking for input.

phishman3579

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Phishman,
I downloaded SimpleGolfGPS this morning and will give it a test at a local course here in the DC area today and give you my feedback. Do you want said feedback here on the forums? BTW, cheers to you for not only looking to develop this app but for asking for input.

Feedback on this forum will work. Hopefully, it'll generate more players to use it and give additional feedback.

BTW, I am a golfer but I'm software developer by trade which can really invalid my opinion on usability and missing features. I develop for fun, so I am open to all feature requests but it'll take a bit more time to get the code out the door.

Last edited:

phishman3579

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Just as an update.

I am working on integrating with course data (par/yardage/handicap) provided by mytourcaddy.com (a free golf statistics website I created a couple years ago). I'd expect to be done with that integration by Monday July 26th.

broeren79

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi Phisman,

sounds good, I might try it in the near future, just have to do some research on it first (courses etc).
I have tried SkyDroid. I stopped using it after a couple of minutes because, for some reason, it forced using data-access, even though none of the features I used required any access to internet (i did not use the map view etc).
I would be great if your app allows downloading course info (maybe incl. sat-images?) on a user selected moment (while on wifi, in my case) and require no data-connection during play.

The reason behind this is that I use mmy HTC Legend using a corporate subscription, that does not include a fixed rate data-bundle, which leads to enormous costs for GPRS/UMTS/HSDPA costs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad