03-12-2010 07:59 AM
42 12
tools
    So I just got my Droid about a week ago. So far I love it, but I have thought of giving the palm pre a try. I love google maps free navigation and how much you can customize android. To be honest I am a pretty big gamer and love how casual 3D games are coming to phones. Palm Pre is getting all of this 3D game love and where is the android's love. I am kinda disappointed that android in general doesn't have any big name games. So my question to everyone is do you think we will see some 3d game love or do you think android is going to get the shaft. Do you think with the market being so segmented between 1.6, 2.0, 2.1 will it ever happen?
    01-20-2010 08:23 PM
    It think the issue right now is SD card storage. That issue always seems to come up as a major gripe with Android. And while there are work-arounds for the problem, it isn't technically resolved until an Android update comes out that enables apps to be stored on the SD card.
    Also, with this new generation of Android phones coming out now (Droid, Nexus 1, etc.), we may start to see more developers taking advantage of the newfound power under their hoods.
    01-20-2010 09:06 PM
    Yea, everything I have read (on here, the journal, other sites) seems to point that the reason behind this is because of SD storage. I've read that the reason why google doesn't allow installing/running apps directly from the sd card is for anti-piracy reasons, but they are trying to figure out a way to enable this ability.
    01-20-2010 09:15 PM
    Lets hope that maybe it will come in Froyo.
    01-20-2010 09:16 PM
    Let's hope it comes sooner than that. Till then Android is hamstrung. It's like cutting off someone's leg just before they go run a marathon.
    01-20-2010 10:01 PM
    Once again makes me wonder... to pre or not to pre
    01-20-2010 10:30 PM
    They could always add more internal memory to their new phones.
    01-21-2010 03:32 AM
    True, but it kinda keeps the people that bought the droid and nexus one out in the cold.
    01-21-2010 06:33 AM
    True, but it kinda keeps the people that bought the droid and nexus one out in the cold.
    Exactly, all this stuff they "could" do on future products doesn't help the millions of people who got Droids and N1's.
    01-21-2010 08:11 AM
    Speed forge 3d is a pretty slick 3d racing game.
    01-21-2010 04:29 PM
    Chuck doesn't know what he's talkin' 'bout. Prolly a storm owner or something.
    01-21-2010 08:08 PM
    while speedforge isn't the best 3d game out there, it is more than definetaly a step in the right direction, but until google opens up the sd card for app storage, i don't see anything really impressive happening.

really hoping the latest this happens is froyo, but something like a 2.1.1 or 2.2 update would be much nicer.
    01-21-2010 08:24 PM
    Stfu n00b! LOL just a former pos storm owner like yourself troll.
    01-21-2010 08:27 PM
    I was jk. Chuck is a friend of mine.
    01-21-2010 08:40 PM
    I just hope they support the older phones seems like they don't update phones all that much once they are out.
    01-22-2010 10:50 AM
    right now, without even thinking about it, I can name 5 really awesome completely 3D accelerated games on my Droid that no one has mentioned:

Armageddon Squadron - WWII Air Combat Arcade Shooter
    Iron Sight - 3D artillery game
    Toonwarz - FPS
    Raging Thunder - Arcade racing
    Wave Blazer - Powerboat racing

These are all iPhone games ported to Android by Polarbit, and all are awesome and perform flawlessly.
    01-22-2010 05:47 PM
    I just hope they support the older phones seems like they don't update phones all that much once they are out.
    It depends on just how old the hardware is. There comes a point where the performance of an older OS outweighs the benefits of a newer one.
    01-22-2010 05:50 PM
    There's Hyperspace (racing game) and Mystique (a mystery/adventure kind of game, sort of like Myst).
    01-22-2010 06:15 PM
    I'm pretty impressed with the emulators.. They work great on the DROID!! I have NEsoid, Gensoid, SNESoid and Gearoid!
    01-22-2010 06:52 PM
    I had quake for a little while just found it too difficult to play on the phone. You can get doom as well. They are full versions. Quake wasn't on the market.
    01-22-2010 08:22 PM
    well I'm really gonna switch to pre cause I'm like all those fetures I'm seeing, plus I saw those 3d games....wow
    01-22-2010 09:13 PM
    well I'm really gonna switch to pre cause I'm like all those fetures I'm seeing, plus I saw those 3d games....wow
    Wow!
    Way to go with that first post. (j/k)

But seriously, I'm sure that the guys at Goog are working on something right now to improve on this problem.
    01-22-2010 10:40 PM
    the pre has the same processor as the droid. with 2.1 they add in openGL support, so it's just waiting for devs to take advantage of it.

but the advantage palm and apple have in this regard is there is basically one handset to develop for.

i'm curious as to what apple is going to do as its platform starts to get fragmented as the newer devices stray more from what the original iphone edge/3G can do.
    01-22-2010 10:40 PM
    I was seriously thinking about the pre plus myself. The big thing that made me decide against was: Number 1 the battery life which lets be honest it needs to at least last a day other wise it is somewhat like having a wired phone, and number 2 the lag. I watched the precentral review of the phone. When he would open up one app it would lag for a few seconds not very snappy at all. Seems silly to worry about a few seconds but it would drive me crazy. So I guess I will wait for more 3d games on android. Hopefully they will get the apps to sd cards figured out. Even if we don't get them at least I still have a really awesome phone.
    01-22-2010 11:10 PM
    I was actually going to create a post on this.

I showed up at work today and started showing off my Nexus One to my buddy who has an iPhone. He said, "Well that's cool, but does it have Grand Theft Auto?" To which I replied "Jesus Tapdancing Christ, you're kidding."

He wasn't kidding.
    01-23-2010 01:02 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD