Indie game research for a level project

TOgbourne

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm studying ComputerScience at A level in the UK and could really do with your help with a coursework project. I need to do some research and my googling brought me here. I was wondering if someone from your team could help me b answering the questions below:

1. What makes a good IndieGame?
2. How complex should I go when developing an IndieGame?
3. Would the general gaming community be interested in a shooter/avoid objects style IndieGame?
4. Should the game be over the top or should it be more 'realistic' to real life?
5. What sort of balance of challenge and frustration should I incorporate?
6. Do you feel that targeting a specific gender would make a game more sucessful? If so would males or females in your opinion be a more sucessful audience?
7. (This one might seem a bit silly)...
What makes a 'Fun' indie game?

If you could answer these questions and email me back that would be awesome. If this isn't really the place then sorry.

Many thanks,

Thomas Ogbourne

karmington

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
1) A unique twist, a funny concept, an intriguing premise : something that makes the game even that little bit unique.
2) Keep scope very tight i.e. small, particularly if this is your first game. The amount of work for even a modest small game can be surprising. Do several small games before getting more ambitious.
3) By building a demo and hosting it on sites like Gamejolt, Itch etcetera you can gauge player interest.
4) Totally up to you.
5) Depends on the game, and your own vision. Some prefer hardcore challenges, others just want to have fun...
6) Targeting a gender - hard to say. I would say most mobile games strive to be good for anybody.
7) Fun is the mystery magic. First it has to be fun for you, then once you get players playing a demo they will tell you their views.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC