Isn't Pokemon Go just like Ingress but with Pokemon or is it different somehow?

A

AC Question

I don't understand the hype. Isn't Pokemon Go just like Ingress but with Pokemon or is it different somehow?

synplex

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is buying Pokecoins something you have to do to play Pokemon Go?

If you willing to walk or drive to pokeStops. But yes you can play without buying anything.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, it has very similar game play as Ingress and the dev obviously used everything they learned on Ingress to develop the game. But it has one thing that Ingress couldn't hope to have... the name. Pokemon has cred... There's tons of adults out there that played as kids and tons of kids out there now that play (my 6 and 9 year olds lost their minds when they heard Go was released). So you combine that with being able to live out a real-life version of the game? Ingress was a lot more esoteric in that respect.... it was abstract... Pokemon is easy.. go catch cute little goofy monsters by chucking balls at them.

I mean... some are busting on it, but I was at a local beach yesterday and the majority of people walking around were playing. But they were out walking around, in groups, interacting and having fun.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Realistically, the only thing Pokemon Go and Ingress have in common are the locations. They both use the same source for the locations. The portals of Ingress and the Pokestops/Gyms of Pokemon Go are the same. (so if you've played Ingress, you can use that game's intel/map website to find where all the locations are in Pokemon Go, except that you won't know which locations are Pokestops and which are Gyms).

Beyond that, the game play is a lot different. With Ingress you're pretty much limited to playing only at portal locations, whereas Pokemon Go gives you some game play even when you're not close to one (you can capture Pokemons anywhere). As well Pokemon Go has a Twitch element to its gameplay when flicking balls at the pokemon you're trying to capture, or when in combat at a gym.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Right... basically they took the Ingress concept, improved upon some of the features and put a heavy-hitting name on the product.

And caught lightning in a digital bottle. Crazy.

Don Serrot

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
The whole game only really works at portals thing is what killed Ingress for me. Just not enough to do. I've been having a blast with Pokemon Go and I haven't even gone out to a single Pokestop or gym yet. Stuck waiting on a new sim card. With Pokemon Go apparently you can still fight a gym even if you team controls it and doing so actually helps buff it up so that sounds like a vast improvement to me.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
The whole game only really works at portals thing is what killed Ingress for me. Just not enough to do. I've been having a blast with Pokemon Go and I haven't even gone out to a single Pokestop or gym yet. Stuck waiting on a new sim card. With Pokemon Go apparently you can still fight a gym even if you team controls it and doing so actually helps buff it up so that sounds like a vast improvement to me.
Yup, that's what killed Ingress for me. Often I'd find myself nowhere near a portal, and wasn't about to waste a 30 minute lunch hour chasing one down. At least with Pokemon Go, you have something do to while killing time eating a sammich.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Gameplay mechanics are way different than Ingress though.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yup, that's what killed Ingress for me. Often I'd find myself nowhere near a portal, and wasn't about to waste a 30 minute lunch hour chasing one down. At least with Pokemon Go, you have something do to while killing time eating a sammich.

You needed more art in your area. :)

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc