Choosing your specific Eevee evolution.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I read online about this discovery that many have confirmed to be true, but here goes... (a large enough majority have submitted confirmation to make it more than anecdotal evidence)...

The Eevee can evolve into 3 separate results. Flareon (fire), Jolteon (electric), Vaporeon (water).

The result is random when you choose to evolve an Eevee (I evolved 2 both of which resulted in Flareon). However, strong evidence has been discovered that if you change the name of your Eevee before evolving it, you can force it to evolve into a specific version. The names are as follows....

Sparky = Jolteon
Pyro = Flareon
Rainer = Vaporeon

I tested it myself. And since I was not willing to get a third Flareon (and really really wanted a Vaporeon cuz they're beastly and one of the best pokemons at the moment), before evolving my Eevee I renamed it to Rainer, and as sure's water is wet, I got my Vaporeon. Granted this is anecdotal, because I might have just been lucky (33.33%% chance after all). However, across the interwebz this seems to be rather reliable. [Update] I just did it to get my Jolteon and it worked as advertised.

Caveats:
Apparently it only seems to be reliable on the first attempt to force it for each breed. So for example, if you force a Jolteon evolution, the next attempt at a Jolteon isn't guaranteed.

If you're playing during a time of server instability. After renaming your Eevee, exit the game entirely by pressing home to get out then swiping it off the task manager, then enter the game again, to ensure the name change stuck. This verifies the servers recognize the name change. (Not my experience, just what others reported, and it's not a bad piece of advice if you wish to be prudent).

I myself won't guarantee this easter egg. Just passing on information. If it doesn't work... well you were taking a random shot at evolution anyway so there's no harm in trying.

[edit] Here's a Reddit conversation about it... https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4t0cpo/psa_how_to_force_your_eevee_to_evolve_into_your/

Last edited:

citystars41

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I tried this myself trying to get vaperon and naming him Rainer prior to evolving and got a flareon. Still worked out as I had a jolteon before

Posted via the Android Central App

citystars41

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
So I tried it again for my third eevee evolution and it did work. I think the key is to literally, do it right before you hit evolve.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Awesome theories! Thanks guys! I will keep these in mind for when I get an Eevee!