My first Android device...

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
My father got this tablet for me back in late December 2012 after I ended up bedridden due to a severely broken leg... I still remember everything about the day I got it (mom saying "Merry Christmas!" to me as dad walked in and gave me the box with the tablet). It instantly became my favorite gadget and my new addiction. In less than a year I rooted it (still remember mom begging me not to root it till it was a year old, and my father paying $30 for OneClickRoot). I did to it everything a sane hard core tech geek would do to a device that had no modern-day lockdowns, including but not limited to extreme overclocking, various software hacks, game hacking, custom ROMs (up to Android 6.0) and kernels (BlackHawk Next was the best overclock kernel ever for Android 4.1-4.4), etc... I really wish modern devices were so easy and safe to mod and easy to recover if malware destroys your OS... If you are from Samsung or another company and are reading this, know that I would like to see se more developer friendly devices that do not self destruct if you make a mistake installing TWRP.

This tablet was my daily driver until July 1st 2017, when I plunked down my entire savings for a Galaxy Tab S3.

R.I.P Galaxy Tab 2, you will always be in my heart as the device that showed me what Android was and how amazing the technology we have is.
f4549341a4e29c3033cd8a226fbd594a.jpg

geekhunt

Nov 12, 2018
Visit site
HTC One X was my first android device.
The One X was the flagship and offered a polycarbonate unibody design. It launched on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, with Sense 4.0, and came with a 4.7-inch display. To further confuse things, the One X was powered by a quad-core Nvidia chipset, but a separate version known as the One XL carried a Qualcomm dual-core chipset and offered LTE connectivity.

The One X was a great handset, again pushing design, but the One branding wasn't very clear: HTC was telling us what the message was, but was doing something else, namely launching lots of handsets.
But the overall experience with the device was good and I used it till 2014. But at that time it was a special device and always has a special has a place in my heart.

gmlongo

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy S6 was my first android device. Started as a huge Windows Phone fan, until it totally collapsed. Still miss the OS, but it's nice to have so many hardware choices.

Mar 14, 2019
Visit site
First Android device was a Kyocera torque. It was a rotund kind of phone with a very rugged shell. It had limited storage but was a good phone overall. It introduced me to the freedom of Android os. I had fun with this little phone.

watchki

Jan 25, 2019
Visit site
Started as a huge Windows Phone fan, until it totally collapsed. Still miss the OS, but it's nice to have so many hardware choices.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Great discussion topic! My first Android phone was a Nexus 5. Kind of ironic, now that I am really into stock Android devices (or as close to stock as possible).

moto312gus

Jun 23, 2023
Visit site
Mine was a Motorola Atrix 2, which I liked very much. I can't remember if I bought it new or used because it feels like that was about a thousand years ago.

That one got damaged beyond repair, so I got a first-gen Moto X as an insurance replacement, which cemented my love for Motorola's way of handling Android. I've only used Motorolas ever since.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine was a Motorola Atrix 2, which I liked very much. I can't remember if I bought it new or used because it feels like that was about a thousand years ago.

That one got damaged beyond repair, so I got a first-gen Moto X as an insurance replacement, which cemented my love for Motorola's way of handling Android. I've only used Motorolas ever since.
Ah, the Atrix. Did you have the lapdock as well? I remember lusting after the lapdock for my RAZR Maxx back in the day, but never got my hands on one. I heard it was a terrible experience anyway, but it seemed like such a cool idea!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
My first Android devices were the OG Moto X and the 2013 Nexus 7. I got both at the same time.

I loved the Moto X, since it was great to hold in my hand with its grippy back, had the various gestures to do different things, and was so easy to hold that I didn't need to use a case on it. It also doubled as a great fidget spinner. 😜

The Nexus 7 (2013) was such a great little tablet. I kept it until 2020, which is the longest time I've kept any portable device.

moto312gus

Jun 23, 2023
Visit site
Ah, the Atrix. Did you have the lapdock as well? I remember lusting after the lapdock for my RAZR Maxx back in the day, but never got my hands on one. I heard it was a terrible experience anyway, but it seemed like such a cool idea!
Didn't have one when I was using the Atrix 2, but I bought a used lapdock a few years ago on Facebook. Turns out the seller used to work for Motorola and had this lapdock in his garage and hardly touched it.

It's cool but not terribly useful these days. Mostly got it just for my collection.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch