Developer Edition vs Nexus

philliegp

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
What's the difference between a Developer Edition phone and a Nexus phone? Will it receive updates from Google just like the Nexus line?

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The experience of a Developer Edition phone is the closest you can get to a Nexus on a non-Nexus device. Basically, it is "Vanilla Android", just like a Nexus, but optimized/recoded to fit a different hardware and, in some cases, some added stuff needed to take advantage of the new hardware. For instance, the M8 with its dual cameras had to ship with a specially modified version of the camera to take advantage of the two lenses (the stock Nexus one having only one sensor to worry about), but the rest of the software is pretty much the same.

However, updates are generally delivered to Nexus devices first. Why? Google controls those. Once that is released, then other manufacturers need to adapt it to their own phones. With Developer Editions, however, the wait is usually not as long as with customized implementations.

philliegp

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I've been with Verizon from the beginning so not leaving any time soon, But the Nexus 6 really interests me. I'm really tired of waiting on Verizon for updates so maybe a Developer Edition is the way to go for me.

Posted via Android Central App