Android P gesture navigation is bad, Google. But how bad is it?

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/05/09/android-ps-gesture-navigation-bad-google/

No doubt this is Ruddock from AP overstating a bit for the sake of clicks and comments, but he makes some good points. I'd also prefer that Google went all-in on gestures and canned the back button and a visible shadowy nav bar, but I can see the sense behind moving to that incrementally to give users and developers time to get used to the disappearing soft buttons. I'm more annoyed by that ellipsis in the status bar that's evidently caused by the looming threat of a notch.

As is, the navigation doesn't really bother me, but it does seem truly beta, like the first step in a 3-year plan.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It sucks so much. I hate that you need to double swipe up to get to the app drawer. I know you can log swipe, but when you have short fingers and using one hand its nearly impossible. also the recent apps layout is even worse. currently its easier to search and scroll through apps when there stacked, easier to see. I only wish they give us the option to use the current way, we all know that's not gonna happen tho.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
currently its easier to search and scroll through apps when there stacked, easier to see. I only wish they give us the option to use the current way, we all know that's not gonna happen tho.
Well, it looks like it's definitely not going to happen to the recent apps configuration. Even if you toggle off Swipe up on Home button, the recent apps don't go back to the vertical stack. As for the pill and the gestures, though, I dunno. The current DP 2 setup is such a weird mishmash of buttons and gestures that any serious pushback from developers could guarantee that Google holds on to a standard soft button option for the coming year, Unless its really frickin' easy to update most apps to gesture navigation.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried any of them, but if you search the play store for "app drawer" you will find several tools that will let you add an icon to your home screen that either opens the default app drawer or an "improved" replacement for it.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I haven't tried any of them, but if you search the play store for "app drawer" you will find several tools that will let you add an icon to your home screen that either opens the default app drawer or an "improved" replacement for it.
I use smart drawer which is an app drawer replacement. I put my apps into categories. I have used it with my pixel launcher since I had the 2XL.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463