10-07-2015 09:43 AM
57 123
tools
    Remember that since Android Pay (and Samsung Pay) uses virtual cards, your bank and specific card needs to support this. Not all bank cards do! Some debit ones might, some might not. It's up to your bank! So first find out if your specific card supports virtual cards or not; if it doesn't, it won't work with Android Pay/Samsung Pay.

This is why I liked Wallet... it worked with any card.
    The old Google Wallet used virtual card numbers also and it worked with any card however.
    09-18-2015 09:40 AM
    To the best of my knowledge Wallet didn't use the 'token' virtual cards on a per-transaction basis that Android Pay (or newer payment services) does, and that's where some cards lose support.
    09-18-2015 10:48 AM
    Best to keep in mind that the switch to virtual cards is something that will eventually be made by every Financial institution because of the recent data breaches and thefts that have occurred over the past year. I think by this time next year every bank will have completed to change over. And with the new Nexus phones having finger print scanners in time every phone will have some type of cardless way to pay.

I haven't used Andrd pay yet, but I had no trouble setting up my cards. My bank required me to call and verify Id, and American Express sent me an email so I hope I am ready to go. I will test the process next week at Whole Foods market. As for a Pin, with Wallet I always had to enter a pin for my card at Whole Foods, at Macy's they never asked for it, so I wonder if the pin requirement is vendor specific?

With Wallet there was never any communication or verification from my bank because I think we were actually making the transaction through Google which then charged the card for us....With Andrdy Pay we are interfacing directly with our banks....thus security requirements are stricter.
    09-19-2015 03:13 PM
    I wouldn't use Google pay if you payed me.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Well you won't have to since Google Pay doesn't exist.
    skatergirl likes this.
    09-19-2015 06:10 PM
    My bank (Wells Fargo) didn't require me to call and verify. I kinda wish they did though.
    09-19-2015 06:13 PM
    I notice that despite the new cute notification icon for Android pay, on my moto 360 the notification shows the Google Play services icon instead.

skatergirl likes this.
    09-19-2015 07:22 PM
    I just used Android Pay for the 1st time at Trader Joe's. It was super easy. I just unlocked my phone and tap and done. One less step then will Google wallet. Downside is waiting for my bank visa to be supported but I use amex and it works great.

09-19-2015 07:45 PM
    Whenever I used Google Wallet and I got a receipt from the merchant it had different card numbers. I had used it on the same day in different locations and had a different number in every location.
    09-19-2015 08:39 PM
    I tried Android Pay for the first time today at two different stores and it worked great. It was fast and convenient. I tried it on my S6.

skatergirl likes this.
    09-19-2015 09:38 PM
    I'm hoping to use Samsung Pay once it comes out anyway, but I'm with the people who aren't 'happy' with the split. They could have very well just implemented the virtual card thing (if not there already) and be done with it. I don't get why you'd split the app in two. I use Wallet in it's current state (haven't been updated for me) and it works well with NFC Payments.
    The funny thing is that wallet have always used a virtual card.

09-19-2015 10:06 PM
    Remember that since Android Pay (and Samsung Pay) uses virtual cards, your bank and specific card needs to support this. Not all bank cards do! Some debit ones might, some might not. It's up to your bank! So first find out if your specific card supports virtual cards or not; if it doesn't, it won't work with Android Pay/Samsung Pay.

This is why I liked Wallet... it worked with any card.
    That's true,gwallet worked with any card. But now, loyalty rewards can be earned, with wallet you couldn't.

09-20-2015 12:09 AM
    To the best of my knowledge Wallet didn't use the 'token' virtual cards on a per-transaction basis that Android Pay (or newer payment services) does, and that's where some cards lose support.
    At least Google wallet used pseudo card numbers, so every transaction got a different card number and I did not have to worry about shedding my receipts.

09-20-2015 12:55 AM
    I tried Android Pay for the first time today at two different stores and it worked great. It was fast and convenient. I tried it on my S6.

I have not used it since that first embarrassment where I had to enter the PIN three times and tap three times.May I ask what merchants were so easy? I may try it again. With wallet, it was always one tap.

09-20-2015 01:06 AM
    I like Android Pay a lot more than my new credit card with a chip. I detest the way I must leave my cc in the terminal until the notice on the screen says it's OK to remove the cc. I'm sure one of these days I'm going to be distracted while bagging my purchases and forget the retrieve my cc. I'll have my phone out anyway because my loyalty cards are stored in it instead of having a gazillion of them on a key chain, so using the phone to Tap and Pay with AP is a breeze.

09-20-2015 02:47 PM
    Same here. How exactly does this thing "roll out" ? Currently have 2 versions of Wallet on my Note 4. Does one magically rename itself eventually?
    Just get the apk from APKMirror. That's usually how I get 90% of the Google apps updates nowadays.

09-21-2015 06:54 AM
    I used it today for the first time and no problems at all. I use a lock screen pin and have used on on every phone I have. With Google Wallet I had to unlock the phone, then enter a pin for wallet and then enter a pin for my debit card. Today I used it at Wholefoods Market,unlocked phone and only had to enter the pin for the debit card, not Google Wallet. It's strange though because at some stores with GWallet I didn't have to enter a pin and other stores I did, this was one of the stores I always had to enter a pin....so over all one less pin to enter and the entire process was smooth from start to finish.

Walking around town on this past Sunday I kept running into stores now accepting tap to pay so I think this tech is continuing to roll out to merchants.
    09-21-2015 01:26 PM
    I tried using Pay at Macy's this weekend. I had the app open and was under the impression that whatever card I had open on the app would be the one used for payment (now I know that's not the case). It attempted to charge my default card but was declined or didn't process. There were people waiting in line behind me and the cashier was a little frantic so I didn't want to troubleshoot it right then and there.

I was trying to pay via my Macy's line of credit (Star Card). Since that card is not issued from an actual bank, I'm not certain it would have worked. Pay treats it like a rewards card which cannot be set to default, so I'm assuming that if you have other lines of credit that aren't backed by Visa/MC/AMEX, etc they wont be able to be used through Pay. Not a big deal, but that feature would be nice.

I'm also a little sketchy of the use of a virtual card when it comes to card rewards. If you have a Visa card with x% rewards at gas stations for example, will the card issuer see that transaction at the gas station? Or will it be masked by some sort of Google transaction. If so, this app is worthless for those who like to utilize rewards points/miles.

I also wish it had the option to rename cards like you can in Wallet. If you have more than one Mastercard/Visa/AMEX, you'll have to know which one is which by remembering the last four digits.
    Sophos and skatergirl like this.
    09-21-2015 01:53 PM
    For those who want Chase to support Android Pay, it's coming. I was talking with an IT person with Chase, and she says it will be supported by Chase, but perhaps not until next year. I guess we'll have to be patient.

Kjthomas0724 likes this.
    09-22-2015 02:48 PM
    I'm a little concerned we might loose support for the Google Wallet Debit card as a tap to pay source since the issuing bank isn't supported right now. I LOVE to use my Wallet balance in stores.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-22-2015 03:16 PM
    For those who want Chase to support Android Pay, it's coming. I was talking with an IT person with Chase, and she says it will be supported by Chase, but perhaps not until next year. I guess we'll have to be patient.

Sitting here patiently waiting

09-22-2015 03:40 PM
    I tried using Pay at Macy's this weekend. I had the app open and was under the impression that whatever card I had open on the app would be the one used for payment (now I know that's not the case). It attempted to charge my default card but was declined or didn't process. There were people waiting in line behind me and the cashier was a little frantic so I didn't want to troubleshoot it right then and there.

I was trying to pay via my Macy's line of credit (Star Card). Since that card is not issued from an actual bank, I'm not certain it would have worked. Pay treats it like a rewards card which cannot be set to default, so I'm assuming that if you have other lines of credit that aren't backed by Visa/MC/AMEX, etc they wont be able to be used through Pay. Not a big deal, but that feature would be nice.

I'm also a little sketchy of the use of a virtual card when it comes to card rewards. If you have a Visa card with x% rewards at gas stations for example, will the card issuer see that transaction at the gas station? Or will it be masked by some sort of Google transaction. If so, this app is worthless for those who like to utilize rewards points/miles.

I also wish it had the option to rename cards like you can in Wallet. If you have more than one Mastercard/Visa/AMEX, you'll have to know which one is which by remembering the last four digits.
    I'm pretty sure they'll allow you to change the names of cards in a future update.

09-22-2015 05:54 PM

That is a great question about getting points or with Amex statement credits. I sent an email to google and I am going to ask Amex.
    09-22-2015 06:20 PM
    I'm a little concerned we might loose support for the Google Wallet Debit card as a tap to pay source since the issuing bank isn't supported right now. I LOVE to use my Wallet balance in stores.

Posted via Android Central App
    I was able to add my wallet card to Android pay.

09-26-2015 10:26 PM
    For now... So far it's supported as a legacy card. As far as I can tell, Google hasn't inked a deal with the issuing bank for native support.

09-26-2015 10:32 PM
    Finally setup today, got my verification code and used this evening at my local Schnucks grocery store with the Apple Pay symbol. Unlocked phone, selected credit for payment then held over machine... Bleep it was done in one step.
    skatergirl likes this.
    09-26-2015 11:35 PM
57 123