So, my old Google Wallet app was updated to the new Android Pay. I really wish I would have read the reviews before I chose to update...

The new Android Pay does not yet support credit/debit cards from Chase bank, however, the Chase card I had in my old Google Wallet app was apparently grandfathered in (a new Chase card that I tried to enter was slapped with a "not supported" message). Granted, I haven't tried actually making an NFC purchase with the old Chase card info yet through the new Android Pay app, but I was able to update the 3-digit CVC# as part of the setup process, and didn't get any kind of error message.

Question: can I uninstall the update (via the Application Manager) and go back to the old Google Wallet - and then enter this new Chase card, and then update again to the new Android Pay, so (hopefully) the new card will also be grandfathered in?? Will that even work?

-Phil

P.S. - Don't even get me started on the whole Lock Screen Required thing.....
    09-17-2015 03:25 PM
    Yes, you can uninstall and go back to the old version if you can find the corresponding APK file for Wallet (you can't do it directly from the Play Store anymore if your account has seen the Pay update).

Pay works a bit differently from Wallet in terms of transactions. Android Pay now uses 'virtual cards' issued for every single transaction (so that if the vendor has a data breach, that data is useless because that card number was issued for that particular transaction and is not valid for anything else). Some cards from some banks do no support this yet. That's why some cards cannot be added to Pay but could be added to Wallet.
    mrsmumbles and Fengshuistein like this.
    09-17-2015 03:55 PM
    Yes, you can uninstall and go back to the old version if you can find the corresponding APK file for Wallet (you can't do it directly from the Play Store anymore if your account has seen the Pay update).
    OK, thanks, SpookDroid! I'm not one to be messing around with APK's, so that's that, I reckon, LOL...

Pay works a bit differently from Wallet in terms of transactions. Android Pay now uses 'virtual cards' issued for every single transaction (so that if the vendor has a data breach, that data is useless because that card number was issued for that particular transaction and is not valid for anything else). Some cards from some banks do no support this yet. That's why some cards cannot be added to Pay but could be added to Wallet.
    Yeah, I know how the new Android Pay works. I'm hoping Chase comes around and gets on board. I would assume they would, given that they support Apple Pay, which uses a similar tokenization method.

Thanks again!
    09-17-2015 05:09 PM
    I know how you feel about the bank support. It was stated that USAA cards were supported. What wasn't stated was that it was only USAA credit cards. Debit cards are not yet supported. And my other option, Capital One, isn't supported at all yet.

Also, I guess I need to have a card active before I can do anything with a loyalty card because those don't appear to be enter-able at all right now.
    09-18-2015 12:54 PM
    The unsupported cards in my wife's Google Wallet did NOT come over to Android Pay as grandfathered, a strange quirk you see represented by all the one-star reviews in the Play Store.

All my cards were added appropriately, even the unsupported cards.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-19-2015 02:44 AM
    My Chase Debit card came over from Wallet and it works fine.
    09-19-2015 03:21 PM
    I know how you feel about the bank support. It was stated that USAA cards were supported. What wasn't stated was that it was only USAA credit cards. Debit cards are not yet supported. And my other option, Capital One, isn't supported at all yet.

Also, I guess I need to have a card active before I can do anything with a loyalty card because those don't appear to be enter-able at all right now.
    Both my USAA debit card and Capital One MasterCard both work just fine. I've made test transactions using both. You might try again manually to see if maybe that works.

**Update** Just found this in Android Pay app concerning unsupported cards and virtual account numbers. If this is the case why are some reporting they are not able to use Android Pay?

https://support.google.com/androidpa...r/6291028?rd=1

09-19-2015 03:26 PM
    My problem is my bank is not yet supported but the cards are there but asking for the code on the back of the card. When I enter the codes, says not supported and send me back to a set up screen.

At this point, I can even see my loyalty cards to bring them up to use them and the location thing never goes off now (yes, I have verified it is turned on). I have close to 45 loyalty cards and now can't use a single one as I can't get to them. I don't know how and I can't get credit or debit cards to work.

I am disliking this new app and I was so looking forward to it...
    09-19-2015 10:56 PM
    Yes, I had the same problem too with my Chase Visa debit card. Android Pay states that although cards used with Google Wallet can be grandfathered into Android Pay, mine was not.

09-20-2015 12:50 PM
    Both my USAA debit card and Capital One MasterCard both work just fine. I've made test transactions using both. You might try again manually to see if maybe that works.
    I tried that as well with the same unsupported message. I can't enter any of my loyalty cards either. There isn't an option to do select a loyalty card. I wonder if I need to have a debit or credit card on record first.
    09-21-2015 05:37 AM
    I had t he same problem with Citibank Advantage cards. Tried adding them into the system and Android Pay told me that Citibank does not support this card (called Citibank and they did not have a clue on what to do). What ticked me off is that I used these same cards on Wallet - so Virtual cards were supposed to be provided. But this did not work either.

Long story..... but I added by Capital One card regardless of what the web said (it's coming!) and I was assigned a virtual card immediately. So I suggest you try adding your Capital One card and seeing if the same works for you. Hope this helps.

Only issue now is trying to figure out how to delete the Citibank cards. No instructions whatsoever on how to do this in Google Pay.
    10-25-2015 06:30 AM
    When I first switched over from Google Wallet to Android Pay, I was totally unable after many tries to add the Chase MasterCard from my Google Wallet. However, recently, all of a sudden, I was able to do so.
    10-25-2015 12:04 PM
    I wish I could find a list of chain retailers where Android Pay will work. It would be nice to know before shopping the store. So far I have only tried three locations. Worked in a Lowes Food store in SC but did not work in a Publix or Walmart in FL.
    10-25-2015 08:48 PM
    Scroll down to "Shop at these favorites"

https://www.android.com/pay/

Granted, that doesn't mean all stores of every location have their act together on it. Can be different franchises too.
    10-26-2015 03:27 PM
    Chase is coming out with Chase Pay in 2016
    10-27-2015 10:27 AM
    Scroll down to "Shop at these favorites"

https://www.android.com/pay/

Granted, that doesn't mean all stores of every location have their act together on it. Can be different franchises too.
    Thanks. I had seen that list. Not very inclusive. Like I said above, it did seem to work at Lowes Foods which is not on the list. Wonder if it also depends on which bank the store uses for payments?
    10-27-2015 12:15 PM