Android Pay - General Comments and Issues

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Android Pay is out and there are several things that many users were not aware of.

• You must have a pin, password or other secured lock screen enabled (though you may use smart lock, etc).
    [*]You must enter your pin, password, etc. when making each payment. You do not have to open the app, simply have the phone unlocked and tap the reader, then enter your security info.
    Your phone must be unlocked to make a payment, however some cards may require an additional unlock as added security while back end issues are resolved. See Andrew's post below.
  • The Fingerprint Scanner on older implementations, such as the Galaxy S5, does not work (yet?)
  • Android Pay does not work on developer previews.
  • Android Pay is not supposed to work on rooted devices.
  • Google Wallet is a separate app that focuses on peer to peer money transfers.
  • Android Pay will be used for payments online and in person.

What's the difference between Android Pay and the new Google Wallet? | Android Central

If you're using Android Pay, don't plan on using a third-party lock screen | Android Central

Last edited:

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Correct on the rooted info.
It does not work on my Nexus 6 running CyanogenMod 12.1 as of yet.
Hoping CM adjusts this on future nightly downloads. :)

Mav. :cool:

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Good quick roundup, and it'll be cleared up more as we have more coverage (and actually use it ourselves).

I have to quick things to clarify here in your 1st and 2nd bullets, though.

Yes lockscreen security is required to use Android Pay, but it doesn't have to be authenticated immediately before/during the payment process. If your phone is already unlocked, you can just tap the point-of-sale terminal and you're good to go.

You may also notice that some people are being asked to enter another PIN when they pay, even though their phone is already unlocked. This is only the case if you're not using a fully-supported card from one of the banks and card issuers that have partnered with Android Pay. For example, if you have a credit card from a bank and card issuer that Android Pay fully supports, you do not have to enter a payments PIN to confirm the payment — you just unlock your phone, tap the terminal and you're done.

If you've added an unsupported card, such as a USAA debit card (right now Pay only supports USAA credit cards) at the moment, it'll let you make payments but because USAA and Google haven't worked out their card virtualization and authentication details, you have to have the added layer of security of a payments PIN to make it go through.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Good quick roundup, and it'll be cleared up more as we have more coverage (and actually use it ourselves).

I have to quick things to clarify here in your 1st and 2nd bullets, though.

Yes lockscreen security is required to use Android Pay, but it doesn't have to be authenticated immediately before/during the payment process. If your phone is already unlocked, you can just tap the point-of-sale terminal and you're good to go.

You may also notice that some people are being asked to enter another PIN when they pay, even though their phone is already unlocked. This is only the case if you're not using a fully-supported card from one of the banks and card issuers that have partnered with Android Pay. For example, if you have a credit card from a bank and card issuer that Android Pay fully supports, you do not have to enter a payments PIN to confirm the payment — you just unlock your phone, tap the terminal and you're done.

If you've added an unsupported card, such as a USAA debit card (right now Pay only supports USAA credit cards) at the moment, it'll let you make payments but because USAA and Google haven't worked out their card virtualization and authentication details, you have to have the added layer of security of a payments PIN to make it go through.

Awesome, thanks for the details :D

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
So, my phone was unlocked via Smart Lock, but when I paid, it made me put my pattern in again. Any clue if that's related?

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Odd one, prior to Android Pay, I was able add loyalty cards which synced with the company and would show points accumulation and or status with the company, like Elite Status with an Airline or Hotel.

Since Android Pay, unless the loyal card was already added it appears there is no way to sync with the company even if the company participated with the legacy Google Wallet.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So, my phone was unlocked via Smart Lock, but when I paid, it made me put my pattern in again. Any clue if that's related?
That's what Andrew was referring to with the fully supported cards.

sent via Nvidia Shield Tablet - Android Central Moderator.

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
That's what Andrew was referring to with the fully supported cards.

I thought the Wells Fargo card was supported since I had to get a code from them to verify. I thought Andrew referred to a separate PIN for unsupported cards (I unlocked my phone again with a pattern, not a PIN).

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I thought the Wells Fargo card was supported since I had to get a code from them to verify. I thought Andrew referred to a separate PIN for unsupported cards (I unlocked my phone again with a pattern, not a PIN).

Posted via the Android Central App
OK in that case I'm more confused than when we started.

atlharry

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about the supported card theory... I use Bank of America and both the debit and credit card has bombarded me with PIN requests when I initiate a payment. THREE times, it asks me. Then I have to tap again. It's not a fun experience and will prevent me from really utilizing it.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Something else to keep in mind - just because a bank such as Citi is supporting Android Pay, not ALL cards will work. I have a card backed by Citi but the program is through another company (AT&T/Universal card). Citi has not yet approved all of those types of cards for Android Pay so when I tried to add my card it didn't work.

I have ONE card that I can add, Discover, and that card won't even show the merchant name on the statement (shows as Google Payments) so I won't get proper rewards bonuses when I use the card if they apply at the merchant I use (5% bonus periods at grocery stores or other places when those programs are active).

AZbear

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I used Android Pay at Panera yesterday and all I had to do was unlock and tap. No pin required. Today I went to Sprouts and tapped but then had to type my pin and tap again.

I was using a Wells Fargo cc both times. Not sure what made it ask for a pin at Sprouts but not at Panera.

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a Wells Fargo debit card linked to mine.
I got that code from them to verify,pretty sure I just had to unlock my phone to use Android Pay and the charge went though fine.
I have a PIN lock .

Last edited:

cjquijano

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So I have my Moto360 set up as a trusted device and I have a pattern lock on my phone. I have also tried this with a pin lock with the same results. I am also using an unsupported visa card that uses the virtual number. This is a carryover from Wallet.

A couple of time I have gone to the vending machine or into a store and I have been able to turn on my phone, swipe to unlock it, and tap to pay without a problem.

Most of the times I pull out my phone, swipe to unlock it, tap to pay, and then I have to enter my pattern (or pin) three times, and then tap again. Its not asking for the pin number to my card or Android Pay, this is the pattern to access my phone.

The only thing I can think of is that the trusted device is messing things up. However, I need to wait for the pile of candy bars to go down in my drawer before I can test some more.

I also us Automate in the car and it is set to keep the screen on, but I don't know how this would affect anything.

I did call Google about this and I was told I must have my phone rooted and that was the problem even though I told the lady several times that I am on stock android (Nexus 5).

Any ideas? Anyone else having a problem with a Trusted Device?

Thanks!
Christopher

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
That would be what brought me here. I also am using Trusted Devices with a Moto 360 and was asked to put in my pattern repeatedly despite being unlocked already.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That would be what brought me here. I also am using Trusted Devices with a Moto 360 and was asked to put in my pattern repeatedly despite being unlocked already.

Interesting, I have the Moto 360 also but haven't been able to use Pay on that device because of the developer preview. I hope this is a bug that will be fixed, otherwise won't be able to use that as a trusted device. :(

cjquijano

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So, yesterday I rebooted my phone and about ten minutes later stopped by our vending machine. This time it worked as it should. I did not have to enter my pattern three times. Does anyone else see inconsistent behavior?

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I've been doing some experimenting myself and I'm getting the feeling that it's less about Android Pay requiring a lock screen and more that it requires an active unlock method. I've come to this conclusion after testing with and without my Moto 360.

With the 360 as a trusted device, the phone remains unlocked but Android Pay itself requires you to enter the pattern/phone PIN. This ends up with me tapping the phone, which brings up Android Pay, entering my unlock pattern and then tapping again.

Without the 360, I only had to unlock my phone with my unlock pattern and tapping the vending machine immediately paid the vendor.

In both cases, you end up having to actively enter the unlock pattern, which I think is the desired behavior. This way, a stranger can't just grab your phone and pay just because he happens to be within 30 ft of your watch.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante