Android pay not working

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
The card will not work if you're rooted. You might be able to add cards by disabling it but you won't be able to make a payment

Posted via the Android Central App

When i am rooted i cant add cards, it tells me Android system is not supported. When i unroot, i can add cards (then reroot) and everything seems to work, but when i try to make a payment, it tells me card is not supported

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
It is working as advertised for me but it is a little cumbersome with the extra step. Used it at Walgreen's with Smartlock tied to my Moto360. Went I went to pay, my phone beeped acknowledging it was attempting a purchase. I had to enter my swipe pattern again to unlock the Android Pay portion. Very irritating.

Posted via the Nexus 64GB Beast

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I used Android Pay a few days ago,from a stock phone. I just unlocked phone once and it worked flawlessly.
I also updated to Android Pay on another phone that is rooted
But once I saw I couldn't re add my cards.
I uninstalled the Android Pay update and now it shows the tap n pay option on Google Wallet as it was before updating to Android Pay.
I haven't used the tap n pay on that phone yet to see if it still works maybe today I will

boswd

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
If any card hasn't changed over to the new tokenization it will still work by using its old virtual MasterCard system

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I used Android Pay a few days ago,from a stock phone. I just unlocked phone once and it worked flawlessly.
I also updated to Android Pay on another phone that is rooted
But once I saw I couldn't re add my cards.
I uninstalled the Android Pay update and now it shows the tap n pay option on Google Wallet as it was before updating to Android Pay.
I haven't used the tap n pay on that phone yet to see if it still works maybe today I will
So just sticking with Google Wallet on my rooted phone since it works

Sent from my Nexus 6

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Maybe a little bit. But it's just a week after the release. I'm sure they'll work out kinks in time. The key "feature" isn't being able to tap to pay though. It's the fact that its more secure than normal swipe payments. Your actual credit card info is never really used when paying with Android Pay because of tokenization. If everyone was using this type of transaction system the Target hack wouldn't have been a big deal because they wouldn't have had anyone's real cc info.
Assuming Google doesn't get hacked. Then they have everyone's right?

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Am I missing something here? I just tried this out again at Walgreens. My phone is already unlocked when I go in. I tap my phone to the reader. I am then prompted to enter my password that I have set up to unlock the phone. After I do that I am then prompted to enter the passcode once again to confirm. After that, I again tap the reader to pay. And then Walgreen's asks me for my 4 digit pin#.

So it is a five step process in total. 4 steps for Google's Android pay and the one last step for Walgreen's to enter the 4 digit Android pay pin number.

This is unbelievably time consuming. It seems much faster just to swipe my credit card. Unless I am doing something wrong. Am I?

John Piotter

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I couldn't finish entering my cards initially because I had apps that "draw over the screen", in my case it was Twilight and Lux. When I tried using it at two different sores that I was able to use Google Wallet at I got to the authenticate with fingerprint and then nothing. I'm using a S6 on Verizon.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Mine didn't need any of that. I unlocked my phone, I waved it over the terminal, it beeped and it was accepted. There was still a dialogue on the terminal (This is the amount, are you sure?), but that's the store, not me.

I have shortened the time for my screen to lock, though, down to whatever the shortest choice is. Even though thieves can't get my credit card number, they could still use my phone to pay for stuff if the screen is unlocked for them.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine didn't need any of that. I unlocked my phone, I waved it over the terminal, it beeped and it was accepted. There was still a dialogue on the terminal (This is the amount, are you sure?), but that's the store, not me.

I have shortened the time for my screen to lock, though, down to whatever the shortest choice is. Even though thieves can't get my credit card number, they could still use my phone to pay for stuff if the screen is unlocked for them.

I have my screen lock set for 30 minutes, the maximum...therefore it is usually never locked since I am off and on the phone most of the day. Are you suggesting that I lock the phone right before checkout, then unlock it before using Android Pay?

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I cannot recommend the right convenience-security tradeoff for you. My own preference is a 1 minute screen lock or less. So yes, I am frequently entering my passcode. But if a thief gets my phone, it'll probably lock before he gets to Android Pay.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Am I missing something here? I just tried this out again at Walgreens. My phone is already unlocked when I go in. I tap my phone to the reader. I am then prompted to enter my password that I have set up to unlock the phone. After I do that I am then prompted to enter the passcode once again to confirm. After that, I again tap the reader to pay. And then Walgreen's asks me for my 4 digit pin#.

So it is a five step process in total. 4 steps for Google's Android pay and the one last step for Walgreen's to enter the 4 digit Android pay pin number.

This is unbelievably time consuming. It seems much faster just to swipe my credit card. Unless I am doing something wrong. Am I?

You must be using a debit card. Select credit and you won't have to enter that 4 digit pin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech