01-25-2017 09:36 AM
46 12
tools
    Yes, Smart Lock entirely solves the problem of having to use a lockscreen, so people shouldn't whine about that.

BUT, Smart Lock doesn't avoid still having to put in a PIN or pattern when you go to tap to pay, which makes no sense. I am unlocked, in a trusted environment, so the extra pattern requirement is annoying overkill.
    I think it might be setup to work like that since, technically, someone could get your phone and still be in close enough proximity to you for trusted devices to still keep your phone unlocked. So requiring the code when Smart Lock is active ensures that it's really you trying to use Pay.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-24-2015 07:34 PM
    Yes, Smart Lock entirely solves the problem of having to use a lockscreen, so people shouldn't whine about that.

BUT, Smart Lock doesn't avoid still having to put in a PIN or pattern when you go to tap to pay, which makes no sense. I am unlocked, in a trusted environment, so the extra pattern requirement is annoying overkill.
    I believe that is happening because you are using an unsupported credit card. If it is supported as long as your phone is open u can tap to pay without anything else.

10-09-2015 02:15 PM
    I believe that is happening because you are using an unsupported credit card. If it is supported as long as your phone is open u can tap to pay without anything else.

In my experience, even with a supported card using Smart Lock still requires you to enter your unlock code. Once when you first tap the terminal, then again to go thru with the transaction.

10-10-2015 11:02 AM

How do you add an unsupported card?
    10-10-2015 11:45 AM
    In my experience, even with a supported card using Smart Lock still requires you to enter your unlock code. Once when you first tap the terminal, then again to go thru with the transaction.

Are you sure it's supported? If my phone is unlocked I never have to use a pin. Just tap and it pays.
    10-26-2015 05:17 PM
    There are a few interlocking levels here. From what I have been told, if you unlock your device manually using a PIN, and NOT using Smart Lock, then it will not ask for your PIN again. But if you use Smart Lock and more than a certain amount of time has passed since you have had to put in a PIN, it will prompt again after you tap. It seems they just don't trust Smart Lock and insist that at least once you enter a PIN during the transaction.
    jreuschl likes this.
    10-26-2015 05:45 PM
    Like mrmoe110 touched on, above, having to re-enter your PIN / password a second time when any sort of Smart Lock is enabled is a security feature, methinks...

Let's say you have a smart watch set up as a Trusted Device, which allows you to bypass entering your PIN / password on your phone, as long as your watch is with you. In theory, somebody could steal both your phone and your watch, thus having unfettered access to your phone's contents. Having to enter your PIN / password a second time proves that you are you, when it comes to using Android pay to make purchases.

Same thing goes for Trusted Locations. Example: I have my workplace set up as a Trusted Location. We recently got new vending machines in the breakroom that accept NFC payments. Again, in theory, somebody could get a hold of my phone and go on a snack shopping spree, stocking up on Snickers and Mountain Dew - having to enter that PIN / password a second time prevents that from happening. I imagine this would also be the case for people who work at businesses that accept Android Pay / NFC (Panera, Walgreen's, etc), and have their workplace set up as a Trusted Location. Say they unknowingly drop their phone in the parking lot? Somebody could pick it up, walk inside, and shop away - again, that second PIN / password stops that.

-Phil
    mrmoe110 likes this.
    10-28-2015 06:38 AM
    The problem with having to enter your PIN the 2nd time is that you can only do it when you attempt the transaction. Then the transaction sometimes fails because it didn't go through at the first time.

They'd eliminate the issue if they would just make it a possibility to enter your PIN when you enter Android Pay. I don't care that Google wants to make it easy and not require you to be in the app. Just make it like Google Wallet. Open app, enter pin, tap, done.
    10-28-2015 12:59 PM
    The problem with having to enter your PIN the 2nd time is that you can only do it when you attempt the transaction. Then the transaction sometimes fails because it didn't go through at the first time.

They'd eliminate the issue if they would just make it a possibility to enter your PIN when you enter Android Pay. I don't care that Google wants to make it easy and not require you to be in the app. Just make it like Google Wallet. Open app, enter pin, tap, done.
    No. It's better the way it is.

10-29-2015 01:09 PM
    Who are all these people that don't use any type of lockscreen?!? You must not have nosy family members or kids lol. Everyone I know uses SOME type of security.

10-29-2015 01:14 PM
    Who are all these people that don't use any type of lockscreen?!? You must not have nosy family members or kids lol. Everyone I know uses SOME type of security.

Actually the issue is for me is I use Tasker to unlock my phone for certain situations like to start navigation when I get in my car so that I don't have to touch my phone but then that requires me to reenter my credit card in Android pay every time which is a nuisance and which I guess I will give up until they change the need for a password I'm a grown up here they don't have to tell me how to secure my stuff. Its like your mom telling you not to keep too much money in your wallet in case you lose it Google is not my mother
    10-30-2015 07:55 AM
    I guarantee the banks want security to participate in the app. They don't want to be refunding when phones are stolen.
    mrmoe110 likes this.
    10-30-2015 07:59 AM
    I guarantee the banks want security to participate in the app. They don't want to be refunding when phones are stolen.
    Well like I said they must get around that caveat about disabling security and then reenable security.
    10-30-2015 08:03 AM
    Well like I said they must get around that caveat about disabling security and then reenable security.
    If you are having to do that and not sure of the details, you need to call Android Pay.

You shouldn't have to disable security and re-enable it.

I know with trusted devices you still have to enter security on your phone. If not, your phone would be unlocked and no bank is going to be part of a pay app on unlocked phones.
    10-30-2015 08:22 AM
    Actually the issue is for me is I use Tasker to unlock my phone for certain situations like to start navigation when I get in my car so that I don't have to touch my phone but then that requires me to reenter my credit card in Android pay every time which is a nuisance and which I guess I will give up until they change the need for a password I'm a grown up here they don't have to tell me how to secure my stuff. Its like your mom telling you not to keep too much money in your wallet in case you lose it Google is not my mother
    The difference is that if you lose your wallet you're not gonna blame your mother. But if people have issues with their money and Android Pay they're gonna blame the banks and Google.

10-30-2015 08:58 AM
    The difference is that if you lose your wallet you're not gonna blame your mother. But if people have issues with their money and Android Pay they're gonna blame the banks and Google.

Only a weasel blames McDonalds for serving them hot coffee and then spilling it on their lap I see the same situation with blaming the banks or Google only a weasel would do that if they know it's their own fault this is the problem with today's society it's always somebody else's fault. This is why these ridiculous caveats are in place today and this is why I now have to put up with lukewarm coffee from McDonalds
    10-30-2015 09:04 AM
    Only a weasel blames McDonalds for serving them hot coffee and then spilling it on their lap I see the same situation with blaming the banks or Google only a weasel would do that if they know it's their own fault this is the problem with today's society it's always somebody else's fault. This is why these ridiculous caveats are in place today and this is why I now have to put up with lukewarm coffee from McDonalds
    The bank is going to make sure they protect themselves, don't blame them.

You never know when someone will steal your phone or something will happen with it.
    mrmoe110 likes this.
    10-30-2015 10:52 AM
    That sounds nice but the banks aren't trying to figure out "Is this person honest? Or is that person a weasel?" They just put the security measures in place to make the system and transaction as secure as possible. This is the early days of Android Pay though. In the next year or two every phone will have a fingerprint reader, which makes unlocking your phone extremely quick and seamless.

11-01-2015 06:50 PM
    That's a pretty poor example. The coffee that burned that lady's legs was served at a far higher temperature than coffee is meant to be drunk at. I too thought it was a ludicrous thing to sue some company over. Then I learnt the facts. Look here

The Actual Facts about the Mcdonalds' Coffee Case
    mlm1950 likes this.
    05-17-2016 03:07 PM
    Folks my version of Android Pay requires I enter a password. Not PIN, not pattern, not face, not fingerprint.... a Password.
    12-13-2016 10:49 AM
    What I don't understand is why Google would offer "OK Google" for hands free operation. But Android pay requires a lock. Why not just require a pin or security when actually opening the Android pay app and not mandate a pin or pattern to open the phone? It's not rocket science. A pin is good enough for a debit card. If you lose the phone it is the same as losing a credit card.
    01-25-2017 09:36 AM
46 12