I hate that I need a password

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
The same people who complain about having to unlock their phones are the same people who would blame google as soon as their account got hijacked or someone "borrowed" their phone to pay for their groceries.

We're not irresponsible like you to lose our phones. Been lockscreen-free for 4+ years, starting with jailbreaking an iPhone 4S, yet, somehow, I kept my phones and accounts intact. Amazing how caring for your personal belonging works.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
We're not irresponsible like you to lose our phones. Been lockscreen-free for 4+ years, starting with jailbreaking an iPhone 4S, yet, somehow, I kept my phones and accounts intact. Amazing how caring for your personal belonging works.
Amazing... How assumptions work?

I've never lost a phone but thanks for the assumption.

The point is two factor authentication is nothing new, especially when involving payments. It's not outrageous for a lock screen to be required.

And who's the "we" you speak of? Is it like a total we out are you taking up a cause for the people...? Just curious on who's behalf your making conjecture is all.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
That hasn't been my experience at all. Even with smartlock and my trusted 360, you still have to enter your unlock pattern/pin on the phone after you first tap at a terminal. Once your phone verifies you, you have to tap again. Note I don't have to enter a PIN at the terminal since I don't use debit cards.

Compare that to Wallet, where you only enter your pin once per day. Then any successive uses go through with no security at all.

Also, compare it to Wallet, which never got official support from banks.

Posted via the Android Central App

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes, Smart Lock entirely solves the problem of having to use a lockscreen, so people shouldn't whine about that.

BUT, Smart Lock doesn't avoid still having to put in a PIN or pattern when you go to tap to pay, which makes no sense. I am unlocked, in a trusted environment, so the extra pattern requirement is annoying overkill.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Yes, Smart Lock entirely solves the problem of having to use a lockscreen, so people shouldn't whine about that.

BUT, Smart Lock doesn't avoid still having to put in a PIN or pattern when you go to tap to pay, which makes no sense. I am unlocked, in a trusted environment, so the extra pattern requirement is annoying overkill.

I think it might be setup to work like that since, technically, someone could get your phone and still be in close enough proximity to you for trusted devices to still keep your phone unlocked. So requiring the code when Smart Lock is active ensures that it's really you trying to use Pay.

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

I believe that is happening because you are using an unsupported credit card. If it is supported as long as your phone is open u can tap to pay without anything else.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I believe that is happening because you are using an unsupported credit card. If it is supported as long as your phone is open u can tap to pay without anything else.

In my experience, even with a supported card using Smart Lock still requires you to enter your unlock code. Once when you first tap the terminal, then again to go thru with the transaction.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, even with a supported card using Smart Lock still requires you to enter your unlock code. Once when you first tap the terminal, then again to go thru with the transaction.

Are you sure it's supported? If my phone is unlocked I never have to use a pin. Just tap and it pays.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
There are a few interlocking levels here. From what I have been told, if you unlock your device manually using a PIN, and NOT using Smart Lock, then it will not ask for your PIN again. But if you use Smart Lock and more than a certain amount of time has passed since you have had to put in a PIN, it will prompt again after you tap. It seems they just don't trust Smart Lock and insist that at least once you enter a PIN during the transaction.

Fengshuistein

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Like mrmoe110 touched on, above, having to re-enter your PIN / password a second time when any sort of Smart Lock is enabled is a security feature, methinks...

Let's say you have a smart watch set up as a Trusted Device, which allows you to bypass entering your PIN / password on your phone, as long as your watch is with you. In theory, somebody could steal both your phone and your watch, thus having unfettered access to your phone's contents. Having to enter your PIN / password a second time proves that you are you, when it comes to using Android pay to make purchases.

Same thing goes for Trusted Locations. Example: I have my workplace set up as a Trusted Location. We recently got new vending machines in the breakroom that accept NFC payments. Again, in theory, somebody could get a hold of my phone and go on a snack shopping spree, stocking up on Snickers and Mountain Dew - having to enter that PIN / password a second time prevents that from happening. I imagine this would also be the case for people who work at businesses that accept Android Pay / NFC (Panera, Walgreen's, etc), and have their workplace set up as a Trusted Location. Say they unknowingly drop their phone in the parking lot? Somebody could pick it up, walk inside, and shop away - again, that second PIN / password stops that.

-Phil

jreuschl

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The problem with having to enter your PIN the 2nd time is that you can only do it when you attempt the transaction. Then the transaction sometimes fails because it didn't go through at the first time.

They'd eliminate the issue if they would just make it a possibility to enter your PIN when you enter Android Pay. I don't care that Google wants to make it easy and not require you to be in the app. Just make it like Google Wallet. Open app, enter pin, tap, done.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
The problem with having to enter your PIN the 2nd time is that you can only do it when you attempt the transaction. Then the transaction sometimes fails because it didn't go through at the first time.

They'd eliminate the issue if they would just make it a possibility to enter your PIN when you enter Android Pay. I don't care that Google wants to make it easy and not require you to be in the app. Just make it like Google Wallet. Open app, enter pin, tap, done.

No. It's better the way it is.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Who are all these people that don't use any type of lockscreen?!? You must not have nosy family members or kids lol. Everyone I know uses SOME type of security.

jasongarter

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Who are all these people that don't use any type of lockscreen?!? You must not have nosy family members or kids lol. Everyone I know uses SOME type of security.

Actually the issue is for me is I use Tasker to unlock my phone for certain situations like to start navigation when I get in my car so that I don't have to touch my phone but then that requires me to reenter my credit card in Android pay every time which is a nuisance and which I guess I will give up until they change the need for a password I'm a grown up here they don't have to tell me how to secure my stuff. Its like your mom telling you not to keep too much money in your wallet in case you lose it Google is not my mother

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well like I said they must get around that caveat about disabling security and then reenable security.

If you are having to do that and not sure of the details, you need to call Android Pay.

You shouldn't have to disable security and re-enable it.

I know with trusted devices you still have to enter security on your phone. If not, your phone would be unlocked and no bank is going to be part of a pay app on unlocked phones.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Actually the issue is for me is I use Tasker to unlock my phone for certain situations like to start navigation when I get in my car so that I don't have to touch my phone but then that requires me to reenter my credit card in Android pay every time which is a nuisance and which I guess I will give up until they change the need for a password I'm a grown up here they don't have to tell me how to secure my stuff. Its like your mom telling you not to keep too much money in your wallet in case you lose it Google is not my mother

The difference is that if you lose your wallet you're not gonna blame your mother. But if people have issues with their money and Android Pay they're gonna blame the banks and Google.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech