What will happen if I have both Samsung pay and Android pay installed? They won't both try to pay will they?
    09-19-2015 08:22 PM
    In your phone settings menu go to nfc and you should see both of Samsung Pay and Android Pay. Just choose default

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-19-2015 08:39 PM
    It shouldn't I know when I had "SoftCard" and Google Wallet it made me choose which one would be default.
    09-21-2015 08:22 AM
    You will have to choose which is the default payment in Settings > NFC and payment > Tap and pay > and then choose which you want. You can have both usable, you do not have to set up one and not the other/disable one and not the other.

I have only used mobile payment (S-Pay) once, and that was to test it out. I would love to use it more often but I use credit for everything to build up points, and unfortunately, my Carnival credit card (which has the MasterCard logo) is not supported on either S-Pay or Android Pay.

I guess until Carnival becomes a supported member of mobile payments, I will just keep using my physical credit card.
    09-23-2015 03:41 PM
    In your phone settings menu go to nfc and you should see both of Samsung Pay and Android Pay. Just choose default

On my S6, under NFC and payments, I 9nly have Android Pay listed even thought I have Sammy Pay installed as well

The panda has spoken
    09-29-2015 10:22 AM
    Samsung Pay uses MST technology.
    09-29-2015 10:23 AM
    Samsung Pay uses MST technology.
    All the people going on about how Samsung Pay is the real mvp of mobile payments say it can use nfc too.

09-29-2015 06:52 PM
    All the people going on about how Samsung Pay is the real mvp of mobile payments say it can use nfc too.

The reason Samsung Pay is so superior is the MST. A business doesn't have to sign up like Android or Apple Pay.
    r56mcs likes this.
    09-29-2015 07:01 PM
    The IC card implementation is for better security. But since Samsung pay uses one time use tokens it is just as secure as IC cards. So the merchants should keep allowing Samsung pay in the future even though it uses magnetic strip
    09-30-2015 12:07 AM
    The reason Samsung Pay is so superior is the MST. A business doesn't have to sign up for Android or Apple Pay.
    But isn't MST going the way of the dodo bird? For better or worse, Apple is seen as the industry leader in tech. Apple chose NFC, like the rest of the world. Apple iPhone users spend a lot of money and are vocal about the features of their phones. If they're going into these stores trying to use Apple Pay they're going to let merchants know they need to support it. And with the way Samsung works I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung Pay isn't even around in a couple years.

09-30-2015 05:18 AM
    But isn't MST going the way of the dodo bird? For better or worse, Apple is seen as the industry leader in tech. Apple chose NFC, like the rest of the world. Apple iPhone users spend a lot of money and are vocal about the features of their phones. If they're going into these stores trying to use Apple Pay they're going to let merchants know they need to support it. And with the way Samsung works I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung Pay isn't even around in a couple years.

First, I've been using NFC tap to pay on my Samsungs for years, long entire Apple out NFC on their phones. Samsung has been using NFC long before Apple thought about using it.

Apple users are only incorrectly thought of as super users, in the USA.

Samsung Pay is something that can be user around the world, with no special terminals and no vender participation is required. If you can swipe your card, you can use Samsung Pay. NFC payment requires special terminals and for the vendor to sign up and pay fees.

Apple chose NFC because Samsung owns the MST technology.
    09-30-2015 08:57 AM
    Apple used nfc on Apple pay last year. Samsung bought out loop pay(developers of mst) in Feb of 2015.

Samsung pay will work wherever apple pay works and a lot more.

I see a lot of IC card machines with mag strip reader but no nfc capability. IC conversion will not guarantee universal distribution of nfc terminals. Therefore iPhone users will still be frustrated and jealous.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-30-2015 11:19 AM
    Apple used nfc on Apple pay last year. Samsung bought out loop pay(developers of mst) in Feb of 2015.

Samsung pay will work wherever apple pay works and a lot more.
    Yup and Samsung put NFC on phones starting in 2012 with the S3.

NFC is OLD technology for Samsung, long before Apple started it.
    09-30-2015 11:23 AM
    I've seen the same thing. Local convenience store/gas station added IC card machines without NFC. So that store isn't very likely to support Apple Pay or Android Pay for a few years (they will likely use the new terminals until they either die or are forced to change again).

I know a lot of people assumed that businesses would get terminals with NFC when they upgraded to IC and a lot have--but there are still a number who won't have NFC.

I have Samsung Pay on one phone and Android Pay enabled on another. I've been using NFC with Google Wallet (AP's previous incarnation) for many years. I can't recall exactly when I first used it, but I believe it was with a Galaxy Nexus.

The one thing that was clear when Apple made the Apple Pay announcement was that their "retail partners" were all the places where I had been using Wallet for years. In fact, the main effect was to kill off two drug stores as stores that accept NFC (temporarily).
    09-30-2015 12:38 PM
    Eventually most terminals will use NFC, the new terminals that are being required, use them. BUT.. unless they sign up for and pay, to participate in Apple Pay and Android Pay, won't matter if they are NFC terminals.

The manager at Walmart here said they are only looking at Apple Pay and Apple wants a ridiculous amount for them to participate, that most transactions would cost Walmart money.
    09-30-2015 02:10 PM
    The Walmart "problem" is they are trying to get out of credit card fees, which is why they have disabled NFC. While Apple made a big deal of "partners" the reality is that their partners have been entities that were accepting NFC (and so took Google Wallet as well). They have their system they want buyers to use instead (CurrentC) which would involve use of bar codes tied directly to your bank account, but so far it's been "stuck" in limited beta forever.

CurrentC had an exclusivity agreement with a number of vendors, but many of those chose to ignore it (Circle K was listed as a CurrentC partner, but the NFC has always worked) and now the agreements reportedly have expired. Ignoring the exclusivity agreement became the norm after Rite Aid and CVS took heat for disabling NFC right after Apple Pay was released (which also killed Google Wallet that had been working there for years).

Would be interesting to see if Walmart has figured out a way to block Samsung Pay short of no longer taking Visa or Mastercard. Not using NFC, it seems the only way to block it would be to stop accepting card swiping, which right now isn't feasible. That may not be true in a year or so, but I don't think anyone will care about CurrentC by then.
    10-01-2015 02:36 PM
    The Walmart "problem" is they are trying to get out of credit card fees, which is why they have disabled NFC. While Apple made a big deal of "partners" the reality is that their partners have been entities that were accepting NFC (and so took Google Wallet as well). They have their system they want buyers to use instead (CurrentC) which would involve use of bar codes tied directly to your bank account, but so far it's been "stuck" in limited beta forever.

CurrentC had an exclusivity agreement with a number of vendors, but many of those chose to ignore it (Circle K was listed as a CurrentC partner, but the NFC has always worked) and now the agreements reportedly have expired. Ignoring the exclusivity agreement became the norm after Rite Aid and CVS took heat for disabling NFC right after Apple Pay was released (which also killed Google Wallet that had been working there for years).

Would be interesting to see if Walmart has figured out a way to block Samsung Pay short of no longer taking Visa or Mastercard. Not using NFC, it seems the only way to block it would be to stop accepting card swiping, which right now isn't feasible. That may not be true in a year or so, but I don't think anyone will care about CurrentC by then.
    They can't block Samsung Pay, but unlike Apple, Samsung doesn't charge for a vendor to take the service.
    10-01-2015 03:12 PM
    BUT.. My local grocery store here takes Apple and Android Pay, Apple doesn't charge them anything to use Apple Pay.
    10-01-2015 03:13 PM
    Apple gets the fee through the banks and the credit card charge. Visa, et al, changed that rule shortly after Apple did their deal, so Google and Samsung will not get a cut of that fee and, presumably, neither will Apple once their current agreements expire.
    10-07-2015 02:35 PM
    They can't block Samsung Pay, but unlike Apple, Samsung doesn't charge for a vendor to take the service.
    Apple's fee comes from the banks, so it doesn't cost Walmart any more to take Apple Pay than it would to accept Samsung Pay or a traditional credit card.

Their beef isn't really with Apple, per se. It's with the credit card companies and that's the vehicle that Apple (and Google) are using via NFC. So they wanted to convince their customers that the only phone payment system is their CurrentC backed system.

The technology Samsung uses as a fallback when NFC doesn't work throws a monkey-wrench into that system, since it pretends to be a swiped card. So while Walmart can easily block ApplePay and Android Pay by simply turning off NFC, Samsung Pay would have to be identified specifically to be blocked.

At this point it may soon be moot, as many of CurrentC partners are simply taking NFC payments since CurrentC has simply never gotten off the ground. It may end up being just a Walmart offering if it actually every does get out of beta. Clearly given the time period of the exclusivity agreements CurrentC had the thing has taken a lot longer to become a reality than was expected.
    10-07-2015 02:43 PM
    At this point it may soon be moot, as many of CurrentC partners are simply taking NFC payments since CurrentC has simply never gotten off the ground.
    Hmmm. It's my understanding that CurrentC will be a phased roll-out. Currently it's only available in Columbus, OH (you can find more about this on NFCWorld.com). A lot of people like coupons, discounts etc. which the MCX pay option will offer. Way too early to write it off. We'll see.
    10-15-2015 03:40 PM