07-03-2016 06:19 PM
52 123
tools
    I just did my first test with smart lock turned off. It was EXTREMELY fast. I unlocked my phone while the cashier was ringing me up. I placed my phone over the scanner and, *BLING*, it buzzed and the green check mark animation came up. Didn't have to enter my unlock code once after initially unlocking my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    But at the expense of having to enter the pattern or pin every time you use your phone. That is a lot of extra hassle to make it faster the occasional times you use Android Pay. Of course, for those who use lockscreens without Smart Lock all the time, it's perfect.
    09-26-2015 09:01 AM
    That's not a hassle to me. I use a lock pattern anyway. When I'm at home, work, or at family or friends house I'll leave my phone sitting on a table or counter and be in another area. I'm not really worried about someone stealing my phone in these situations but I still don't want everybody to be able to just go thru my messages, pictures, emails, etc, if they pick up my phone. EVERYBODY I know is like that lol. I don't know WHO these people are walking around with no lockscreen at all.

09-26-2015 11:30 AM
    When I used Smart Lock, I only had to enter my pattern once, right after I tapped (then had to tap again). While I would prefer (and expected) no pattern at all when using Smart Lock, I have never had to enter my pattern more than once.
    Yeah i'm saying without Smart Lock you only have to put in the pattern to initially unlock your phone. You don't have to tap the terminal twice.

09-26-2015 11:33 AM
    This is the exact problem I am experiencing and it is a far cry from being as convenient as Google Wallet was. I'm not one of those, "Two apps?! Why?!?! Screw this, I'm getting an iPhone!" people, but it has made me wonder why they would elect for such a difficult process. Here is my comparison of the two processes.

Google Wallet
    1. Open Wallet App
    2. Unlock
    3. Place on terminal to charge

Android Pay
    1. Unlock phone
    2. Place phone on terminal, Android app launches
    3. Enter pin
    4. Confirm pin
    5. Confirm pin
    6. Confirm pin again?
    7. Place phone back on terminal to process payment

How did this become better than using one app for two purposes? I'm not irate over it, but entering my pin 3 or 4 times, then placing the phone back on the terminal seems unnecessary.

My experience.......

unlock phone(with pin)
    don't need to open Android app
    tap then the phone will launch Adroid pay
    green check mark shows up
    done
    simple
    mrmoe110 likes this.
    09-27-2015 11:13 AM
    I just tried Android Pay at the same location twice today. One with Smart Lock on and a trusted device the second I removed the trusted device.

In the case with the trusted device I went to the cashier tapped the terminal and then had to enter my pattern, it then requested my pattern once more which I entered again then had to tap the terminal and it asked for the pattern yet again. On the third entry the process was complete and the transaction processed. Painful and definitely not efficient.

The second attempt I removed the trusted device entered my phone unlock pattern opened Android Pay went up to the terminal tapped it and the transaction processed immediately, no further patterns required or taps. It looks like Smart Lock does not work with Android Pay at this point. Sad, but true and I just purchased a new Moto KeyLink so I could use Smart Lock when Android Pay came out. Boy do I feel dumb.

Lesson learned wait till the product is out and try it first then proceed from there.
    I think its designed to work like that with Smart Lock and trusted devices. In theory, someone could have your phone but still be in the trusted place or close enough to whatever device is set as a trusted device and attempt to use Android Pay. In that case the person who has your phone wouldn't need to enter your code to get to the home screen because of Smart Lock. Requiring the lock code when they try to pay ensures that the owner is actually doing it and not someone else using the phone while Smart Lock is actively keeping your phone unlocked.
    09-27-2015 12:54 PM
    This is the exact problem I am experiencing and it is a far cry from being as convenient as Google Wallet was. I'm not one of those, "Two apps?! Why?!?! Screw this, I'm getting an iPhone!" people, but it has made me wonder why they would elect for such a difficult process. Here is my comparison of the two processes.

Google Wallet
    1. Open Wallet App
    2. Unlock
    3. Place on terminal to charge

Android Pay
    1. Unlock phone
    2. Place phone on terminal, Android app launches
    3. Enter pin
    4. Confirm pin
    5. Confirm pin
    6. Confirm pin again?
    7. Place phone back on terminal to process payment

How did this become better than using one app for two purposes? I'm not irate over it, but entering my pin 3 or 4 times, then placing the phone back on the terminal seems unnecessary.

That sounds like an issue with your setup, the card you're using, or the merchant. Even with Smart Lock active I only have to enter my code twice. With Smart Lock off the only time I have to enter the code is from my lock screen.
    09-27-2015 12:58 PM
    That sounds like an issue with your setup, the card you're using, or the merchant. Even with Smart Lock active I only have to enter my code twice. With Smart Lock off the only time I have to enter the code is from my lock screen.
    I prefer the way it was in Wallet... If my PIN session has expired since the last time I used Wallet, it prompted me when I opened the app. Thus I would be able to unlock the wallet before attempting to pay with it. It's just cumbersome trying to use Android Pay with Smart Lock. Have to tap it once to get it to register that you need to unlock it, then unlock it and tap it again to actually pay.
    09-29-2015 06:37 AM
    I have used it 3 times. First with the a BofA Debit card "transferred" from Wallet, entered pin's 3x and unsuccessful, didn't know what pin to use, phone, wallet or atm pin. Then deleted the transferred card and re-enter the card manually. Next 2 times had AP open when attempting to pay and work perfectly without any additional pin(s).
    09-29-2015 10:19 AM
    Was that with Smart Lock or not?
    09-29-2015 10:34 AM
    09-29-2015 03:05 PM
    I have a Nexus 6 and a Moto 360 and I use SmartUnlock (it is fully half the reason to own a smartwatch is it not?).

With wallet I had to do the following:
    Launch wallet
    Enter unlock pin
    Tap terminal

Now with pay it is always some variation of the following:
    Tap terminal
    Once the app has opened (Nexus 6 is so slow) I enter an unlock pattern.
    Meanwhile the transaction has failed and the cashier has to reset it.
    Tap terminal again
    Hold the phone there for several seconds and wait to see if I have to go back to step 2 (about half the time).
    Then see the checkmark.

Android pay takes significantly longer than just using a credit card. With wallet people thought it was cool, with android pay people just say, "is that going to work?" as they watch me fiddle with it. It is so frustrating. We were ahead of Apple Pay by 2 years and now we are trying to copy them and have fallen behind. They can pay with their watch and we can't pay if we have a watch. I understand things being buggy when they are new, but breaking stuff that has worked for years makes me really wish there was a better option.
    10-07-2015 04:30 PM
    I finally just used Android pay at McDonalds. I have smart lock with my moto 360 so I swiped to unlock my phone, tapped the terminal, saw the Android pay symbol pop up on the terminal, I put in my code on phone, tapped the terminal again, the check mark pops up.

Of course, my bank card attached to Android pay is not officially supported so I don't know if that has any bearing on the experience but not the smoothest process but I'm just happy it worked and didn't have to pull out my Google Wallet card instead.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4
    10-09-2015 02:12 PM
    I have a Nexus 6 and a Moto 360 and I use SmartUnlock (it is fully half the reason to own a smartwatch is it not?).

With wallet I had to do the following:
    Launch wallet
    Enter unlock pin
    Tap terminal

Now with pay it is always some variation of the following:
    Tap terminal
    Once the app has opened (Nexus 6 is so slow) I enter an unlock pattern.
    Meanwhile the transaction has failed and the cashier has to reset it.
    Tap terminal again
    Hold the phone there for several seconds and wait to see if I have to go back to step 2 (about half the time).
    Then see the checkmark.

Android pay takes significantly longer than just using a credit card. With wallet people thought it was cool, with android pay people just say, "is that going to work?" as they watch me fiddle with it. It is so frustrating. We were ahead of Apple Pay by 2 years and now we are trying to copy them and have fallen behind. They can pay with their watch and we can't pay if we have a watch. I understand things being buggy when they are new, but breaking stuff that has worked for years makes me really wish there was a better option.
    HAHA, I get the same reaction, but they usually see me hold it up to the terminal, then it launches for my passcode, and they say, "It didn't take it!" as if they're afraid I am going to run out without paying (or getting my merch?) and I have to reply, "Yeah, I know, I HAVE to enter my pin...but it won't prompt me to enter my pin until I hold it up to the terminal...then I have to hold it up again". The process isn't really useful as all in its current state.
    10-30-2015 06:23 PM
    Unfortunately I think the best thing to do for now is if you have a watch that you are using Smart Lock with, to just turn off the watch or turn off bluetooth so that you have to enter a PIN to use the phone and after the transaction turn it back on.

Or.. just use your CC :/
    10-31-2015 03:47 PM
    Unfortunately I think the best thing to do for now is if you have a watch that you are using Smart Lock with, to just turn off the watch or turn off bluetooth so that you have to enter a PIN to use the phone and after the transaction turn it back on.

Or.. just use your CC :/
    Yup. When I'm about to use Android Pay I just go in settings and turn the Smart Lock toggle off.

11-01-2015 06:37 PM
    Yeah... I've stopped using Android Pay because it's become a bigger hassle than getting my wallet out and swiping the card

Also, since I use more than 1 card, it's annoying that I haven't found a way to just tell it to pay with the other card, without making it the default. Maybe, hold the phone up to the terminal, and tap which card you want to use at that time. That would be an option, of course, to not inconvenience those who only use 1 card regularly.
    12-08-2015 02:44 PM
    Hey Ppl im a newbie to this thread can anyone explain me what Andriod pay is about and is it similar to that of OYNK mobile app.
    What's the difference between Android Pay and the new Google Wallet? http://www.androidcentral.com/whats-...-google-wallet

12-15-2015 09:37 AM
    I've just discovered the disconnect between SmartLock and Android Pay - and the last Android Pay update broke it completely for my LG V10.
    My setup:
    • LG V10, secured with fingerprint and PIN
    • Microsoft Band 2, set as Trusted device in SmartLock
    • Citi MasterCard, apparently an "approved" AP provider

Before the January update, I was able to tap and pay, but with a little weirdness - unlock the phone with fingerprint, open Android Pay, make sure Citi is default card, tap terminal... the phone would vibrate multiple times asking for PIN (even though provider is "approved"?), enter PIN, tap terminal again, green checkmark pops up.
    After the update, I would follow the same procedure, holding the phone up to the terminal, but instead of asking for the PIN, it would get stuck on the black "Hold phone to terminal" screen, vibrating every other second, and never prompting for PIN. After pulling the phone away from the terminal, it would back out to the card screen, and the cashier would say that it never processed. Reattempting the tap gets the same result, and this was with multiple merchants where Android Pay worked before.
    I setup a support request with Google, which was a complete waste of time. The email response was:
    The specific error message that you saw means that your device can't support Android Pay's advanced security. If you've heavily modified your device, may I recommend returning it to its original state and trying again? Otherwise, you may want to use Android Pay on a different device for the most secure payments.
    Really? A device that worked fine before, now is suddenly insecure? Replying to the email with more detail (my V10 is stock, this worked before, using fingerprint and PIN) got me a response asking me:
    Please reply to this email if you are still experiencing difficulty after clearing the cache and cookies of your device, please also include screenshot of the action that you're trying to perform. We'll be happy to investigate further for you.
    Cookies??? A screenshot of the "Hold phone up to terminal" screen??? Again, waste of time.
    After checking this forum (and this post as well!) I tried disabling SmartLock... went to BestBuy, tapped to the terminal, instant checkmark, just like in the ads. No multiple vibrations, no prompt for PIN, just tap and done, like it's supposed to be!
    Given this, Google really needs to get their act together when it comes to Android Pay. I used Wallet on my Nexus; only one merchant in my area accepted NFC payments then, and it was a breeze - unlock with PIN, tap, done. I stopped using Wallet when I switched to Windows Phone, but now than I'm back on Android, Android Pay is a convoluted mess by comparison.

Moral of the story? Don't use SmartLock with Android Pay. Lose one convenience to gain another.
    01-21-2016 10:48 AM
    My experience with this (using Trusted Device with my Pebble Time, and a pattern lock) is that Android Pay will only ask for confirmation if I skipped the pattern entry THAT TIME, i.e. when I woke the phone from sleep to pay. What I do if I'm planning to use Android Pay is, before I get to the register, I'll wake my phone up and swipe the lock icon that tells it to "forget" the smart unlock, like if you leave it alone for too long. Then I put the phone back to sleep. When I get to the register, wake phone up, unlock with pattern, tap to pay, instant green checkmark.

I think the key is for the phone to _wake up_ in locked mode, though, because I've had to reenter my pattern if I just swipe the lock and then immediately enter my unlock pattern.

So, my procedure:

1. Wake up phone
    2. Swipe the lock to disable Smart Unlock
    3. Press the power button to put the phone back to sleep (IMPORTANT)
    4. Maybe wait a few seconds to let the phone really go to sleep after the screen is off? Dunno if that's important but I usually do anyway
    5. Wake up phone, unlock the normal way
    6. Tap to terminal, instant accepted

Does this work for anyone else?
    02-08-2016 06:57 AM
    What I just did on Friday was a little more extreme than your example, but it worked for me too. I just woke my phone, pulled the menu bar down and turned off BT while the phone was still locked. Then swiping the menu back up and attempting to unlock the phone would prompt me for my PIN. Doing it this way allowed me to tap and pay without spurious PIN requests at the terminal.

It's a bit more of an inconvenience, though, as I have to toggle BT off, pay, then toggle back on. Then I have to wait a short time for my watch and headphones to reconnect. I'll have to give it a try with hitting the lock button on the lock screen and see if it works for my nexus 6.
    02-08-2016 07:02 AM
    Android Pay is not convenient for me. I use Smart Lock with my Moto 360 so my process is 1) swipe to unlock, 2) tap, 3) punch in code, then 4) tap again.

If i could just swipe to unlock and tap once, i would use it more but with this process plus not very wide support for Android Pay, it's not worth using it for me.
    02-29-2016 11:34 PM
    Android Pay is not convenient for me. I use Smart Lock with my Moto 360 so my process is 1) swipe to unlock, 2) tap, 3) punch in code, then 4) tap again.

If i could just swipe to unlock and tap once, i would use it more but with this process plus not very wide support for Android Pay, it's not worth using it for me.
    It really does work if you tap and hold the lock icon at the bottom of the lock screen, then input your PIN to unlock. I've had good success with that the last several times I've used it. Better than shutting down BT, or doing the double tap at the terminal!
    jreuschl likes this.
    03-01-2016 06:16 AM
    It really does work if you tap and hold the lock icon at the bottom of the lock screen, then input your PIN to unlock. I've had good success with that the last several times I've used it. Better than shutting down BT, or doing the double tap at the terminal!
    Hmmm, wasn't aware of that method. I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion.
    03-01-2016 08:00 AM
    Nope, I've tried it multi times in multi places and i still have to punch in my code after the first tap even after i unlocked my phone using the code.
    03-13-2016 02:37 PM
    is it an advantage for us?
    04-05-2016 06:14 AM
52 123